Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Maxx 7 sounds like..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2018 :  06:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2009 Maxx 7, 134k miles. Loss of power (sounds like dropped a cylinder) on afternoon route on Friday. He got it to his house, said he removed air cleaner and it sounds like an old air compressor! No engine lights on- no oil coming out from anywhere, seems to run fine when not under load, just down a cylinder- and apparently its pushing air out of intake.
Bad/stuck valve?

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  04:18:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Needle bearings on the roller lifter gave way so the lifter runs sideways on the cam. The cam is ruined. It's typical for these junky Maxx7.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  04:59:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Confirm by checking oil drain plug magnet and oil filter for metal in the folds.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

oliver88

14 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  05:17:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit oliver88's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a motor replacement. Last one we had hear was $23k. Good luck
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  05:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ours got a repower at Cummins

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

namao

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  08:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit namao's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The last couple we had misses on ended up being just rocker arms. I would locate missfring cylinder, pull v/c either really easy or major engine job. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  11:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can get it shut down fast enough you can save the block, but I have to agree with Joe; When it sounds like an old one lung belt-driven Bendix AC the cam is lunch...I've had a couple drive up to the shop like that-not good.
Go to Top of Page

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  7:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input, it was towed to our local International dealer today. Will update when I know what's up with it!
Go to Top of Page

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  6:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, here's an update... #1 cylinder, exhaust bridge was popped off, rocker arm was good, pushrod straight... intake pushrod bent bad enough that it needed some "persuasion" to get it out. Without getting any further into tearing into it, I made a call to a shop that runs a lot of these engines, to which he said pretty much the same thing as you guys! cam is junk, waste of $$ to fix. Guess we have ourselves a parts bus! (up here in the rust belt, we are lucky to get 200k out of the body, so pretty tough to justify sinking a lot of money into it...)

Thanks for the input!
Go to Top of Page

wrenchsnapper

27 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  2:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit wrenchsnapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a single turbo Maxxforce 7 wipe out a cam lobe. I had a spare vt365 cam and installed a new set of lifters,oil pump and the damaged valve train parts and piston . I think I spent under $2000. Just needed 2 weeks to remove and repair. I did purchase the rotator engine rebuild stand just for the vt's and MF7's. Its worth every penny.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000