New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  10:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, propane guys, I have an issue here that has been a treat (lol). I have three of my propane Roush units are giving me fits in cold weather (around zero). It starts out that they will be a hard start for a few days. (have to go through the start cycle more than once) Then the final day is that it starts hard then has low power anywhere from a mile to 10 miles from the starting point. Then it will run out of power and die eventually. I will change the fuel pump relays and things get better (in fact much better) but there is still a miss on an idle. Two buses gave me this trouble today and one had just under half tank of fuel and the other a little over 1/4. After the relay change I checked the fuel pressure at 93-95 psi in 20F ambient temp. After fueling up the engine doesn't miss but the fuel pressure is no different. Any ideas?

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  12:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems strange to me that changing relays would change how it runs, you would think they would either provide power to the pump or not. Could it be such a thing that the pump is drawing too much current when its cold and taking the relay out?
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  12:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a similar issue with one of ours a few months ago and sent it back to the dealer. I believe they changed the ignition switch and that fixed it. I'll have to verify with the techs next week.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  12:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are these all your propane units that are doing it? All parked in unheated areas? Water in fuel? Maybe park one in heated shop overnight and see if it behaves differently..

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 01/05/2018 12:31:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  2:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, all propanes. The relays are Ford parts. They are called relays but really act like a driver. They vary the voltage to pumps to maintain 50psi over tank pressure.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  5:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I brought one back for this. I forget what they did to it. Call your dealer.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  05:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These things are acting fine now that temps are in the mid to upper 30s.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  07:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would check with propane supplier to see if they have a way to get some alcohol into your/their filling station tank.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  04:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes propane systems can freeze,the old vapor systems did it and I have had to have my home supplier come out and put...alcohol/methanol in my tank/line in yard when regulator or line froze up.... but since that system is suppose to be liquid propane would react be same? I am curious...

One good point at least you don't have gelled diesel!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  05:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My newest propane bus isn't exhibiting any of the symptoms of the others. So, that puts the fuel supply out.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  07:09:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll bet your fuel pumps are weak. I've seen the pumps, and they look like an old fuel pump out of a 350 chevy.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  07:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one 2015 we had issues with did receive a new ignition switch and a new fuel pump. Problem solved so far.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  08:43:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's not what I want to hear! Ugh

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

underthebus

11 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  09:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit underthebus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have 7, 2015 V10 propane units. There was an update from Bluebird.
Cold start issue, wiring harness to add near the multi-plex. Shipped to us from our local dealer, easy to follow installation.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2018 :  4:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by underthebus

We have 7, 2015 V10 propane units. There was an update from Bluebird.
Cold start issue, wiring harness to add near the multi-plex. Shipped to us from our local dealer, easy to follow installation.

That's interesting. What's the harness for?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  4:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

That's not what I want to hear! Ugh

Here is food for thought:
My guess on the running rough and dies- more than likely water in tank. When it got warmer, they ran fine-because no ice build-up. When the pump(s) were changed, the tank had to be completely drained, thus eliminating the water. I have heard of some instances where the propane supplier is not treating the bulk tank or bobtail with methanol on each fill, causing moisture.
The ignition switch shouldn't have anything to do with the engine running bad. We have had some ignition issues- where the bus will not crank when you go to the start position. Holding the key in start position until is starts cranking meant changing the ignition switch. That took care of the issue. However, we have seen this winter another starting issue, which we currently working with the dealer, Blue Bird and Roush to figure out. Stay tuned...

Edited by - iceracer on 01/22/2018 5:03:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  05:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, the latest on this; the oldest Roush system started fine and ran well at about 1 degree F when the block heater was plugged in. Go figure. The next newer one set a code of POO9E and the dealer and I traced it down (after testing) to the FRPCM. The EVAP side isn't opening up. I believe changing the FRPCM will put the light out but still not sure about the way it runs. I'll just be glad to get it back on the road. The driver pesters me about it all the time, he really misses it. As for the next newest bus, it hasn't given any trouble since the day that three of the four Roush systems gave me that issue on the cold day. I did change the relays on that one, so maybe that was it.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  05:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize they even had block heaters. How often do you guys use them?
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  06:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't use block heaters on my propane units. I figured the electricity savings into my decision to switch from diesel. So far, we haven't needed them.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  11:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the first time. Tried to delete them but Bird doesn't have that option. As soon as I get caught up with the three I've got down now, I intend to dig into this with Bird. I do not want to be using a block heater, there's no sense in it. In fact, I'll bet we're just staving off the inevitable anyway. Whatever that may be. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000