Eaton Procision Transmission
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  07:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone now running any of the Procision transmissions in their fleets? How are they doing?

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  08:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
20,000 miles in, no problems.

MPGs seem the same as with my simlar buses with the Allison 3000's, but I'll have more solid numbers once the year ends.

It's a bit of a learning curve as a driver, they have a different feel to them. Not bad, not good, just different.

The only thing I don't really like it that it sometimes has to take your throttle away for a moment when completing a shift. Certain elements have to come together for that to happen though. I guess it's like anything else, you get used to it. First 4 or 5 times it happens it'll make you look down at the dash real fast thinking "What's wrong???"
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  09:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All three bus companies offer that in their busses?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  09:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Thomas guy says they don't offer it. Not sure how accurate that info is.
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  09:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's what my Thomas salesman told me also. He said Allison extended the warranty on their transmissions in Thomas buses in trade for Thomas staying exclusively with Allison. Seems funny that they offer the procision in their Freightliner trucks but not buses.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  10:01:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, Bird and IC have them?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  10:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes sir, that is correct.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  10:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the price comparison between it and the Allison?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  10:31:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The last bus I bid on IC it was a no cost option, on Blue Bird it was a $3,800 up charge. Our IC dealer is really pushing them and I'm not sure why. All the Allison's I've had have treated me well.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  10:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

So, Bird and IC have them?

IC told me the same thing with the warranty. I'm not sure if it's Allison or IC extending it but it's now 7 years unlimited.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  11:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mquiring

The last bus I bid on IC it was a no cost option, on Blue Bird it was a $3,800 up charge. Our IC dealer is really pushing them and I'm not sure why. All the Allison's I've had have treated me well.

Why would a person spec them over an Allison?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  11:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some folks have had negative experiences with Allison in recent years in regards to warranty issues. I will say that the local Allison place has had reps out and about in full force for the first time in years in my area. I'll leave it at that.

Both Allison and Eaton are claiming they will outdo the other on MPG's. Jury is still out on that but we all know the driver is the single more important factor there.

Eaton is claiming that it's modular design will be less costly if/when it needs repairs. Allison 2000's don't last the life of my buses, Allison 3000's are tough as nails but you pay dearly for that.

Competition is good.

I liken it to your propane buses..."Hey, there's another option out there, let's try it! Maybe it will suck, maybe it will be amazing, won't know if we don't try it!"

7 year warranty for both options from everything I've received.

***$3800 upcharge from Bird?!?!?! Holy... I join a pool purchase each year, this year it's $400 from bird, $250 from IC.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  2:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wholeheartedly agree with the competition thought!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  3:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ya, not sure why the up charge was so much from Bird. It was right at a year ago that I bid that bus. Just for fun I checked with our dealer today and now it is a $500 up charge.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  05:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

Anyone now running any of the Procision transmissions in their fleets? How are they doing?

Funny story here; As an admin on this page I try to keep things in order and correct some things as we go along. (correct spelling makes things easier to look up in a search later) I was about to correct the spelling of "procision" to "precision". I'm not the greatest speller in the world so I thought I would take the time to check the proper spelling. Good thing decided I put "Eaton 'Precision' Transmission" in the search anyway, after I decided that it should be spelled "precision"!! That spelling is just weird to me.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  06:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I try to not be "the grammar guy" but try going into Little Caesars pizza and the "Extra Most Bestest" which is pretty darn delicious but my brain fights my mouth in ordering.

I have a retired English teacher driving bus now, makes for some interesting conversation in the mornings. He loves correcting another driver who used to be a student of his, we all laugh.

**End thread hijack**
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  07:22:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha , though she should feel lucky she can understand him well enough to correct him , in our county id say 40 to 50% of the drivers English is there second language I hear the conversations on the radio ...at times I have no clue how they communicate at all .
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  2:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by td083

Ha , though she should feel lucky she can understand him well enough to correct him , in our county id say 40 to 50% of the drivers English is there second language I hear the conversations on the radio ...at times I have no clue how they communicate at all .

Yes, this is turning into a "hijack".
I live in southern Illinois and we have a few drivers who have retired from the northern part of the state. Oh, boy! You talking about english as a second language! lol, it's Chicago lingo that is not readable by our southern radios! lol I love 'em though! Of course, I just love people!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  05:00:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

20,000 miles in, no problems.

MPGs seem the same as with my simlar buses with the Allison 3000's, but I'll have more solid numbers once the year ends.

It's a bit of a learning curve as a driver, they have a different feel to them. Not bad, not good, just different.

The only thing I don't really like it that it sometimes has to take your throttle away for a moment when completing a shift. Certain elements have to come together for that to happen though. I guess it's like anything else, you get used to it. First 4 or 5 times it happens it'll make you look down at the dash real fast thinking "What's wrong???"

What's the shifter look like and would you spec. the Eaton transmission again?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  05:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.flickr.com/photos/27265743@N03/albums/72157661388943767

Mine are IC's...

I saw a Vision with the Eaton and it was set up the same way, but I know Eaton offers a conventional type of shifter, so you'll want to verify with your sales rep.

Mine...It's a keypad shifter with backlighting. When you select a gear a green light blinks indicating the command has been made, it goes solid when the shift is complete. The actual gear being used is show on the bus' instrument cluster because this particular shifter has no digital display.

We are ordering 2 more units on December 19th and they will have the Eaton as well. I hope I'm not making a mistake, but time will tell.

I can say that early on the International dealer has had a truck stop in that was in-transit to the selling dealer with a shudder between a couple of gears. Eaton told them to leave it alone, they wanted the complete transmission back for a total failure analysis, and a new transmission showed up for the truck the next day. That's the only issues I've personally heard about.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  08:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The trans is pretty tall, isn't it?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  12:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's very close in size to an Allison 2000, nowhere as large as a 3000 series. The pic makes it look huge.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2019 :  10:32:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone is currently preparing to make a purchase and considering this transmission, please contact me via email first (go to my profile, you should be able to from there). No, I'm not having problems with mine.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000