Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  10:36:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With quality the way it is, I pray we don't lose any of the bus makers. Lower the competition, lower the bar, lower the quality, raise the price. Yikes.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  1:55:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

With quality the way it is, I pray we don't lose any of the bus makers. Lower the competition, lower the bar, lower the quality, raise the price. Yikes.

Maybe not. As long as there's more than one, I'd think the price can stay down and quality up. Plus, the state and feds will keep the safety stuff up to par.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  1:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JRob

Type C & D school buses make up somewhere in the neighborhood of 15% of the Medium Duty Truck market. That is is a pretty sizable share. Navistar International was getting upwards of 90% of that back in the mid-90's as Ford exited and prior to Freightliner getting in. Freightliner wanted in because they didn't want to cede that much market to a competitor when they were trying to grow their medium business. The industry has stabilized at 3 players in the C & D world but it is conceivable that you could go to 2 as the entire market could be covered by 2 but it would take a significant increase in capacity for those 2. Who has the financial wherewithall to do that?

I'm not sure which one has "the financial wherewithall" makes any difference. If one jumps out, the other two WILL pick up the slack. They'll have little choice if they want to compete (otherwise a different company will fill the void). Of course, that's when quality can go down as well. Interesting to think about but I'm not sure we all seeing all the facts either.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000