New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  07:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey guys i am having trouble finding a diagnostic tree for code 2636 vgt actuator driver circuit abnormal udate rate

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  11:12:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
o found the diagnostic tree i am at the part where its askin me to check the terminationg resistors its tellin me to disconnect thethree pin service connector and check the resistance but i dont no where that connector is
Go to Top of Page

austindnh

23 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  4:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit austindnh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
there a few different places to check there is one terminal resister in the vgt its self unplug the vgt harness from engine harness check resistance in between two of the pins cant remember witch two the resistance should be between 110 and 130 ohms there is a terminating resistor near the ecm its a three pin I believe
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  02:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are 2 terminating resistors for the can circuit one usually is near the diagnostic connector inside the bus and the other usually somewhere near the top of the bell housing on pass side for re or drivers sided for fe/ce atleast that's where ive found them have had a few can issues lately
--there each 120 ohm resisters so remove them they should be close to this there 2 pin ,
--also if you check the can resistance at the diagnostic connector so you would check resistance between the 1939 wires think its pins e and f may be wrong it should read 60 ohms or close on properly working can system , would not try to chase an issue unless its active
--one thing I would note is the can system communicates at a very high rate so is prone sometimes to erroneous codes if there is a volt drop out or issue that you may not catch , also in some of the can issues we have seen its been an issue with splices into the can ciruit intermittent issues , though you could have a module failure ?
---I just recently had a bus with all module failure do to lightning were guessing so had to go through all this , I would 1st check my diagnostic connector resistance that will tell you right there if you have a current issue if its 60 ohms the issue is likely not there at that time or intermittent ...the busses I worked on were maxxforce dt 07epa engines we seem to see can issues out of

Edited by - td083 on 10/04/2017 02:42:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  04:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i diconnected the vgt actuator and got 109 ohms pluged that back in and found the other one on fram rail near dpf disconnected that one and got 120ohms i am getting a vgt actuator code i no the 109 is low but would that mean i need a new actuator ????
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  05:05:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
don't know about when you disconnect a module the vgt actuator , when you disconnect 1 of the resistors you should get 120 ohms that's correct *** when its installed can resistance should be 60 ohms at the diagnostic connector you cant get an accurate reading with a module disconnected . Yes though the vgt actuator code may mean it is possibly at fault , does it move freely ? and does it move when turning the key to on position the book states to do this 5x when inspecting to see if it malfunctions if it does not and the dtc is not active and can checks ok I would likely try a vgt actuator just to try to keep the bus from returning based on a intermittent issue but that's just me sounds like that's likely your issue at this point but that's speculation . And would say the actuator more likely your issue than a can wiring problem we see faults with them from here and there
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  05:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the only reason i checked resistance with actuator disconected isbe cause iwas told u cant get to one of them and there is one in the actuator i checked the one byfram it was 120 the i checked the harness side it was 109 thinkin that how i could check the other one
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  08:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what bus and engine are you working on if its a ce maxxforce there is one at the diagnostic hook up and one near the trans area ... but at this point I don't know what that would solve unless there is no communication on the can circuit for other modules and disconnecting the actuator brings back up communication then ,
--is the problem current ?** if not your can checks probably wont tell you anything *** but the overall resistance check on the can circuit is at the diagnostic connector that should be 60 ohmsif it is that means 100% both resistors are good period ...but before that I would 1st does the vgt cycle up and down when key turned on if so intermittent issue and you could either replace it , swap it or possibly look for can splices that may be a issue somewhere but the latter pretty time consuming
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  09:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a note, I am not sure how the C2 is wired, but some applications (Bluebird) will use the terminating resistor inside the TCM. If your J1939 yellow goes to pin 7 and pin 28, it is using the internal terminating resistor.
If it goes to pin 28 only, it does not use the internal terminating resistor.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  12:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ifollowed the hole diagnostic tree and the last thing it told me to do is Follow normal escalation process what the hell does that mean
Go to Top of Page

austindnh

23 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  3:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit austindnh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that's basically saying to get in touch with Cummins customer service for help using the insite program you have to fill out a work order and email customer service saying I have done the whole diagnostic tree and still have not found the problem you will have to give exact measurements that you got and what you have done to the motor

did you say you had other vgt related codes?
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  03:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had no other codes i ended up sending it to dealer and the replaed the vgt actuation under warrenty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000