Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 International intermit daily problem.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spdway1

3 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2017 :  1:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit spdway1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2007 DT engine will just shut off and on as quick as you can turn off and on a light switch. It will do it a couple of times a day. I replaced the timing sensor and checked/undid the connections and fuses at the battery, everything seems ok there. It is not making a code and no check engine light when it happens. When it does this the dash gauges do not cycle, like you are starting for the first time, the gauges just move a bit, like the engine was not running for a quick second. It is really rough on the drive train. What direction do I go next? Thank you.

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2017 :  1:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check your IPR pigtail. May be losing connection for just a second and dropping out. Had one do this and gave me a headache for a long time.
Go to Top of Page

KnuckleBuster76

45 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  04:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen the high pressure oil pump pigtail wires lose their insulation and touch briefly, also causing a similar problem.

"Just... I dunno... Just fix it."
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  04:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had this exact problem, I replaced both CMP and CKP sensors and never had that problem again. But like the aaronwilmoth80911 and KnuckleBuster76 said, check the IPR connector for exposed wires also.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2017 :  07:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had a slightly newer(2011) IC do something very similar recently....No codes, started out same, randomly shutting down and then almost instantly would restart, my dash sounds like same symtom too... checked and chased wiring(seemed like for days, because problem would disappear almost as fast as it appeared) finally found bad Ignition relays in chassis fuse box(on side of bus, after bus died in my parking lot and finally problem wouldn't go away... has been running great ever since.....

The other issue I have seen on mine, but believe this issue logged a code and never affected dash or anything else but engine... is if your engine has formed wiring harness? the wires to oil temp sensor in front cover have broken internally and caused a stubble,miss and or no start.. if they are stretched tight between harness and sensor...service says you have to replace complete engine harness, but new pigtail is available thru parts (took a little digging for my parts guy but he found it)

Edited by - slippert on 09/27/2017 07:47:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

spdway1

3 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  4:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit spdway1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the 40 amp fuses on top of the battery now keeps blowing when the engine drops out. We have traced the wire (no issues) and that particular ones go to the IDM (Injection Drive Module) power Relay. What next?
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  05:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would check all the 2 pin power ground connectors coming from the battery around the starter there may be one and around the trans area sounds like wire shorting from one of these . Could be wrong I usually see this on the t444 amrans and usually if the connectors cause an issue just like your saying where you will be driving and it will cut out in the blink of an eye and restart and jerks but usually it goes along with a unexpected reset fault think its a 525 dtc ? just something I would check possible area at the top of trans the only way to verify we cut all the connectors out of the circuit and then drive .

Edited by - td083 on 09/29/2017 05:25:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

namao

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  06:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit namao's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello lots of problems with thoughts fuse holders. We would replace the fuse holder and fuse with a 40 amp maxi fuse if it did not have one [older ones used the smaller fuse holders]. Then I would change the idm relay and do a pin test on the relay plug that they are all tight to the relay [if bad connection get hot and loose there tension]. Just have to remember if there is a voltage drop at any connection and the voltage does drop then the amperage on the circuit is going to go up. So if its only supplying say 9 volts to the idm I would guess amperage draw would double witch could blow fuse. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000