New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1326 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  09:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have question i put a new turbo on this ic bus dt466 about 4 months ago now the vgt rod is frozen i took turbo off and the rod freed up so i put turbo back on but bus has a lag i am looking at the vgt readins and the off set is -502 i checked on another bus and it was only -8 what causes this

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  10:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you do the KOEO test and watch the actuator to see if it sweeps the cycle ??
Do you have any running codes ??
When you had the turbo off did you take it apart and clean the unison ring ??
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1326 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  10:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i did the koeo test the actuator did not move but now a can move it with my hand when i have key off i didnt not open the turbo because its a jasper reman and still under warrenty so i didnt wanna take it apart when i did a koer test i got a 345 code
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  12:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The actuator should also move when you just cut the key to the on position . How is the rod moving if it feels stiff or tough theres an issue , when you push it down it should come up and bounce if its unrestricted . Just curious does the bus have a egr cooler if so has it failed recently?
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1326 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  1:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when i first tried it it didn not move so i figured it as sezed in the turbo so i took turbo off and when i sat it on the bench it freed up no idea y i was gonna open it up but i didnt wanna do that and have problem with warrenty so i moved the rod bunch of times and it was fine so i put it back on and it was good for a while but now it has alot of lag and i got a 345 code and i was looking at the vgt 0ffset on computer and it was -502 and i no that cant be right so i was just ryin to see what would make that offset so hi but when i did a koeo test the arm does not move but it does move when u turn key on and i put a new egr cooler on about 6 months ago along with egr valve

Edited by - dsalinas1939 on 08/09/2017 1:02:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  1:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If when you first checked the turbo as in key off bounce test where you push the rod all the way down let it go it should come up hit the stop point and bounce once if it doesnt or **didnt do this its probably sticking or restricted at that point due to it being under warranty i would send back up to you but right there i would stop and resolve that issue . I could be wrong just what i would do , and wouldnt go after the 345 dtc dont have isis handy but may have set during tests ? or no , and obviously i guessing the ecm can control the actuator as it moves when you cut the key on ..imo.i dont always trust the scanner tests to condemn operation.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1326 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  08:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the 345 code came when i did the test when i bounce test it key off as of right now it will bounce once but everynow and then it gets stuck when i turn key on it cycles up and down at that point i am unable to move it with key on i thought that was normal??? but again even with it now moving it has some lag thats why i was wondering what the vgt cycle offset ment because it reads -502 at idle and i checked with another bus and it was i think at -8
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  06:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if the rod gets stuck when checking bounce test wouldn't matter to me if it free up or not , this is with key off bounce test I'm referring to that would be game over I would stop there and since yours is under warranty get a new one , the lag is likely the vanes are unable to close or position correctly for better accel from a stop , the ecm monitors ebp to calculate where it wants the vgt based on this and load conditions .
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  06:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
and the 345 is a vgt issue either issue with biased ebp signal or vgt vane issue likely , would suspect the latter based on what ya said already
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1326 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  12:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks i contacted jasper where i got the turbo and they are sending me a replacement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000