Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 91' Thomas no start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  10:49:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 91' Thomas that wouldn't start half way through it's route. Tried starting from front and rear with no luck. Replaced batteries and tried, nothing. Jumped it at the starter and it started right up. Drove it back to the shop and now it starts every time. Bad starter?

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  12:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
start by checking the wiring at the starter and starter relay- tightness and cleanliness. I had one that was just loose enough that if I wiggled the wire when it wouldn't start, it would make enough contact to start.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  12:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check the ignition switch, too.
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  3:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check the (+) and (-) junction posts on the frame rail. They should be located right behind the battery box. On our FE's they tend to get a lot of corrosion and break apart. They are a mess to replace.
Go to Top of Page

AW

52 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  4:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you had power with the key on, but no start, check the switch at the engine compartment that is pushed in when you close the "hood." I don't mean the "Run/Stop" toggle, or "Start" push button switch, but there should be a metal plunger switch that closes when the engine compartment door is closed. We've had the brackets that hold them bend just enough that the plunger doesn't go in all the way.

It should look like this https://tacbusparts.com/sections/catalog/part.asp?cat_id=467&part_id=1638
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000