Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 intake grid heaters 2013 dt466
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

meanmechanic01

31 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2016 :  6:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit meanmechanic01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
anyone else having problems with the grid heaters on their new(er) dt's with melting the grid heaters? we've had about 20 or so that we've replaced or the dealer has changed… only one bus so far had one that melted and got sucked into the intake and took out a cylinder under warranty :) any solutions or easy remedies?

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2016 :  09:12:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, We have seen several of them. Only way we know if they're bad and melted is when they don't want to start in cold weather. We have been pm'ing them before the real cold hits by taking an inductive amp clamp and getting the amperage draw when key is turned on or using servicemaxx to command it on. I believe the spec is 160 +- 10. So if you are only drawing 60 amps you need to pull it off and look at it.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  07:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just had all 4 of my 2013s into the dealer. they repalced the heaters and also the Valve cover for excess oil intake. A problem with the breather system casues oil to cake on the heater causing it to overheat. The repair replaced the valve cover and breather with updated versions. the new valve cover has a baffle and the breather is an open air breather.

May be worth asking your dealer about it.
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

151 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  07:38:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bfaulkner, can you give more info in the valve cover swap?
The dealers here are changing ours from a closed ccv to a road draft tube.... No mention of a new or updated valve cover..
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  11:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reference IKnow article IK1201117 if you can. It talks about the conversion from closed to open breather systems and the need to change the valve cover to a baffled style. I called my dealer back and the manager said it is a per unit replacement. It depends on the engine and valve cover serial numbers if it needs replaced or not. I read through the warranty invoice but all it lists is the parts and labor numbers. I can scan it and send you a copy if you think that would help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000