Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 T444e no power to starter solenoid sometimes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

heavens07

8 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  1:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit heavens07's Homepage  Reply with Quote
97 International Am Tran T444e 7.3L. Sometimes this bus will crank 20 times and then sometimes it will do nothing. starter Rebuilt with new solenoid same result. I put a test light on the small wire on the starter solenoid and when it cranks it lights up as designed, but when it don't no light. I traced the wire back to the Ecm no grounds. The ignition switch is a few months old...any advice????

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  2:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the bus have a deadbolt lock on the back door? Might check for issues with the starter interlock wiring to that if equipped.
Also there is a crank inhibit relay amongst the relays and wiring near where the body wiring connects to the chassis wiring (to the left of the brake pedal), I had a T444E of that vintage that occasionally wouldn't crank, but if you bumped the wiring there with your left foot it would crank and not act up again for a while. Never figured that one out.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

heavens07

8 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  3:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit heavens07's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No deadbolt interlock on back door. I can start the engine manually at the starter solenoid with the ignition switch on.
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  5:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a large black relay usually zip tied to the harness by the steering shaft I believe the wires going to it are pink it's quite large check there first then inside the bus on the left kick panel are more relays there is a yellow one that is a delay relay those can cause you trouble also. Some starters have a thermal switch to prevent overload look into that possibly. Low voltage to the ecm can also cause a no crank it can be checked at the ecm relay on the firewall in the engine compartment. There's a lot of stuff that has to work just to make that starter spin!
Go to Top of Page

heavens07

8 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  6:26:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit heavens07's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks a bunch guys I will check these things out tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  04:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a wiring harness running under the bus from the starter to the left side of the engine that has a 5 or 6 wire weatherpack plug. This plug tends to corrode and the wires break. You have to open up the harness a bit and unplug to see the break sometimes. This tends to cause a start...no-start problem. Have replaced many of these plugs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000