Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 T444E oil pan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joel59

5 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2015 :  07:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joel59's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you remove the oil pan on a 7.3 in an International 4700 without removing/lifting the engine? Thanks.

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2015 :  07:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not been able to do it on 3800s (school bus chassis) without supporting the front of the engine and removing front engine support crossmember. I have supported the front of engine with wood block(s) between alternator bracket and frame rail.
Why are you removing oilpan?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 12/21/2015 07:13:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Joel59

5 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2015 :  07:25:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joel59's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is leaking around the dipstick tube as many do. I have attempted to fix it with the proper "kit". Had no luck. It appears as though my pan is denting in a bit around the tube entry. I don't know if it was over-tightened or someone tried to fix it before or what. Can I just unbolt the cross member and start jacking it up, or do other things need moved/disconnected? Thanks for your help. Joel
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2015 :  08:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The oil pan on these engines is a nightmare. my suggestion if it is just leaking around the dipstick is to drain the oil, clean it well and do whatever it takes to seal from the outside. you can get a special grey silicon from international that should work good.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2015 :  09:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I recall, I used a jack and raised motor a bit then inserted blocking under alternator bracket, don't remember disconnecting any hoses or wiring.

bfaulkner is right, removing and replacing the pan on a T444E is a nightmare to avoid if at all possible.
If International's fix did not work satisfactorily maybe try one of these spendier repair kits, remember nightmare you will avoid when you see the price.

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/channel/bus-maintenance/products/2015/11/dipstick-adapter-repair-kit.aspx

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 12/21/2015 09:11:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Joel59

5 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2015 :  3:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joel59's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. That is an expensive fix, fastback, but could save a lot of aggravation. I ordered the ford grey silicone (didn't know there was such a thing). I'll try that first.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  07:17:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the 3800 chassis, you can jack up the front end and put stands under the frame and let the front axle drop and you don't have to remove the crossmember. You do have to lift the engine some to remove the front engine mount (I believe). There is an aftermarket oil pan gasket made by Moroso and we get them from O'reilly. I've never had much luck with using silicone on the outside. It may work, it may not. Just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2015 :  09:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your going to go the silicone from the outside route, try the right stuff by permatex. The grey silicone takes too long to cure. This stuff sticks and skins within min
http://www.permatex.com/products/our-brands/the-right-stuff.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000