Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 IC dt466 coolant pressure issues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  04:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit 007's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have an '08 IC 300 with a dt466 that is having coolant pressure issues. Dealer told us it had to be the egr cooler, replaced that,high dollar, no help. Took to dealer, they replaced the air compressor, no help. Radiator has been replaced earlier, no connection to this problem. Coolant escapes from cap while driving, leaves puddle after shutoff. Coolant doesn't return to plastic tank unless cap is loosened or removed. On third cap in three months. Loses half a gallon a week. Dealer ran test for exhaust gases in coolant, none found.Bus returns to dealer over christmas break hopefully for solution. Any ideas?

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  07:01:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are the mechanics at the dealer hoping to get a bigger parts shotgun for Christmas?

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  09:45:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a few thoughts,
Is this an engine with 1 or 2 EGR coolers?
Is the coolant still clean coolant? no oil in the coolant.
Can you tell if it is burning any of the coolant?
Do you have a heating problem with over or under heating?
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  09:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A few more thoughts
Water pump could be bad causing it to not circulate and over heat
Bad thermostat stuck closed

Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  11:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Here is an issue I had with mine.. They are scattered all over the county at 7 school districts... So in daily operation is normally up to driver to make sure coolant level is ok, when they filled surge/deariation tank to full level cold, engine would push coolant out cap all over tank, frame and steering gear and then leave puddle when parked, be it over night or a few hours puddle just was bigger overnight...

Once I convinced them that the level was ok if it was two inches below full line when cold and coolant expands when hot, then when engine was at operating temp level should be at full line. Amazingly those messes went away...If you havn't already, Maybe try dropping level in tank to couple inches below full cold and see if that helps... half gallon a week can easily come out cap and sounds like dealer has thrown alot of parts at it and not helped it...

Coolant level should close to full line when engine is at operating temp somewhere between add and full cold... As far as coolant not returning to tank unless cap is loosened, if cap is working and keeps pressure on system level should come up when removed, most of mine do that has never been an issue... system stays full

Maybe above is not any of your issues but food for thought....

Edited by - slippert on 12/11/2015 11:57:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  07:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit 007's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My bad, I forgot to mention bus never gets hot. In fact, it's tough to get it over 180 degrees.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  10:52:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Slippert. We have had a lot off T444E's do the same thing. Dropped the coolant level a bit, and the messes went away.
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  5:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you installed restrictor fittings in both small hoses that go to the coolant tank? There was a tsb about just such an issue. We did all of ours and it seemed to help .
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  09:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mastertech

Have you installed restrictor fittings in both small hoses that go to the coolant tank? There was a tsb about just such an issue. We did all of ours and it seemed to help .

Good point!! would seem like dealer would have addressed that TSB, looks like it had everything else done to it, or alot anyway already,lol
Go to Top of Page

mysterytrain

34 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  4:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit mysterytrain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only way the restrictiors would cause coolant not to come back to the coolant tank is if they were plugged. That is the only way I could see the coolant tank not getting coolant in it and having to remove the cap to allow system pressure to push the coolant back up the bottom hose. should have coolant flow from egr cooler and a/c bracket, egr vavle if it is a maxxforce. I keep mine between bottom sight glass and top, if too full when cold they will blow it out the rad cap when they get up to temp. As far as not heating, not much of a clue right now, is this one lacking power? Bad water pump would cause no flow through engine and bus compartment, take the belt off and grab the water pump pulley if it wobbles pump is shot.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000