New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1326 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  06:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am trying to do a compression test on a 365 looking threw snapon catologe and not sure whar tester i need i no i need the glow plug adapter but there are so many they dont say what they are for does anyone have a part number for it and a good gauge?

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  2:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We bought a LANG TOOLS # TU-15-53 for our shop. It works well for the VT-365 engine we did buy an adapter with flex hose on it to go with the kit. It helps use the tool a little easier.

We bought it from our local heavy duty truck parts supplier, it was not real expensive.

Hope this helps!

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1326 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2015 :  08:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thank u i will look into that i did find one from snap on with the adapter its 400 bucks
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1326 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2015 :  11:21:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am having a problem with this 365 its smokin like a chimney and its burns oil fast the intake tubes are full of oil the baffle has oil leakin from it i took hoses of turbo cleaned oil out of turbo i ran it with hoses of to see if the seal in turbo was bad but it was dry after five minutes of running but smoke was pouring out of the bak=ffle hose the motor was replaced two years ago with a jasper i called them and the want a compression check and a leak down test the compression test is not a problem just not sure how do do a leak down test can anyone help?????
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  2:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have never done a cylinder leak down test on a diesel engine. There are tools to do this test for gasoline burners, I have never even seen a tester marketed for a diesel engine. Now understand, I am not saying is does not exist, but I have never seen a tester for this. Maybe if they are telling you to do a leakdown test, maybe they can tell you where to get a tool to do it with. Plus the tool #. Oh, and while you are talking to them, ask them what the specs are on the leakdown test. I have not seen any manufacturer specs on leakdown test. There again, I am not saying they don't exist, but never have seen any on gasburners or diesels.

I would do what you did, make sure that turbo is not the problem. You can take that turbo hose off and run it, let it run long enough to flush some of that oil out of the exhaust and see if it is still smoking bad. Just take the normal cautions about the turbo and not letting anything close to it. I have found to see if the turbo seal is bad, take the hose off going to the air charge cooler and run the engine, you can see the oil building up in that space inside the turbo, the oil seal that is in the actuator goes bad you will see this.

There is another old school method and it is simple to check for excessive blow by. Take your oil filler cap off, start engine, use a shop rag put over the oil filler tube. If the rag nearly blows off or gets wet with oil real quick and blows off, you know you have excessive cylinder blow by. It takes a little practice, but it does work. Try it with different engines. If the rag just sits there and kind of acts if it is being sucked in and blown out while throttling engine up and down slowly, it is normal. Try it on a known good engine. Even on gasolineburners. With practice, I've found it to work very well and even finds broken rings.

There is a gauge to detect excessive blow by it is a magnahelic (not sure of spelling) gauge, there are specs for it.

With the information you have given us, it sounds like excessive blow by to me.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1326 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2015 :  12:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for info Henderson I cleaned out both sides of the turbo and let it run with hoses off for about 5 minutes and no oil build up was found again the baffle tube that connects to the turbo inlet hose smokes bad and it almost sounds like it has a little pop sound coming from it its weird but I am almost positive its a ring problem I did find a leak down tester for desiel engine not sure if I am gonna buy it gonna try that rag test I am sirry it will blow off cause there is a lot of pressure coming from the baffle hose so I am sure the fill tube will be the same but after I do that test I will call jasper and hope the compression readings and the rag test will be enough thatnks again for the help.... I hate the 365 engine nothing but problems
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

151 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  06:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think you are looking for a crack case pressure tester like this.
http://www.handsontools.com/OTC-Tools-ZTSE4510-Crankcase-Pressure-Test-Adapter_p_45450.html
Attach to the correct gauge, block the crank case vent hose and run.. compare the numbers to spec.
From the service info
Crankcase pressure using restrictor tool ZTSE4510, max.
1.99 kPa (8.0 in H 2 O)
17. Crankcase Pressure
Measure at high idle, no load.
Clamp off recirculation tube for crankcase breather.
Measure at oil fill tube with crankcase pressure
test adapter. (Figures P and R)
Manometer or
Magnehelic gauge
Instrument Spec Actual

Edited by - exmod110 on 12/14/2015 06:38:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1326 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  4:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well I did a compression test today and they where all around 440 except for one cylinder which was 190 so with that and it burning so much oil it has to be a ring problem I called them and told them that they still wanted a cylinder leak test they said not a crank case test but after talkin with them for a while they finally gave in and are sending me new motor not looking forward to that job uggg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000