Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Bendix air drier popping off every 15 seconds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  10:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Question, what makes the drier pop off? I have a 2009 IC Maxxforce 7 air drier popping off every 15 seconds. I've serviced the drier, replaced the drier relay on the firewall, replaced the air governor and still pops off every 15 seconds. WTH!!! Any thoughts?

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  10:58:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Check for air leaks in the line between the air governor and the drier pop off valve. This should be the center tap in the governor.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  11:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Normally losing pressure on signal line from governor to dryer, cause that... I had air fan drives on the DT's that would cause that to happen, as line for fan drive was tee'd into same line that fed dryer... problem can be hole in line, compressor unloader valves, purge valve, governor(which you already replaced) .. Every time compressor cuts out at full pressure governor sends air to dryer purge valve... if you have a leak /loss of air on that line it will make dryer cycle as compressor is constantly cutting in and cutting out.. even though pressure shows full in wet and dry tanks
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  11:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if it is an ad-9 drier and it leaks through the purge valve after its initial main purge and doesn't stop till it is back on the build cycle check the check valve in the discharge port. If it is not seated it will allow pressure to bleed back out the purge valve in a constantly repetitive 10-30 sec cycle. it can be re-seated with a socket or something like that.
http://www.beamalarm.com/image/Air%20Dryer/Servicing/Bendix%20AD-9%20Air%20Dryer%20Servicing%204.jpg the check valve in pictured in the lower right corner.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  11:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On our 2010 DTs, we get a lot of leaks at the fan and at the fittings on the governor.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  12:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When bus gets back from last route I'll check that line from the governor to the drier. I'll keep y'all posted.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2015 :  04:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Found a leak at the fitting on the governor, fixed the leak but the problem remains. No other leaks were found.
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2015 :  9:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have a air operated fan clutch on the bus that is the first place I would look for a leak. AS for driers? They get there signal from the wet tank.. Put a gauge on the tank and monitor the air pressure. If it drops quickly then you have an air leak causing the issue. When the wet tank pressure drops below the cut in pressure it will cause the compressor to build until cut out pressure. then the drier will open the purge valve until the cut in pressure is reached again.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2015 :  04:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 57fan

If you have a air operated fan clutch on the bus that is the first place I would look for a leak. AS for driers? They get there signal from the wet tank.. Put a gauge on the tank and monitor the air pressure. If it drops quickly then you have an air leak causing the issue. When the wet tank pressure drops below the cut in pressure it will cause the compressor to build until cut out pressure. then the drier will open the purge valve until the cut in pressure is reached again.

No air clutch, I'll gauge the wet tank and keep y'all posted. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000