FLEET KEY CONTROL
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  07:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have always left keys in our fleet vehicles inside the yard (unfenced) with most being under cover and behind a roll up door. We have since hired a security firm to do a safety audit and they frowned hard on this action. Now my higher ups want action....

Since I'm chief cook and bottle washer so to speak over Transportation and Maintenance I have to make it work for both depts. This includes the battery operated floor scrubber, loader tractor, and two large lawnmowers.... Ugh!!!

My question is how do you all control keys? It was recommended to me to put a key box with a combination type of lock on the outside of my maintenance building and those needing vehicles over the weekend could just unlock the box with the ENTIRE fleets keys in it, get the key to the vehicle they have been assigned and go about their way. This seems close to stupid!!!

What about a lock box with just the keys needed that weekend in it? My route drivers could be given a set of keys to their normal route bus solving one issue. Anyone use the little car lot window locks with any success? Drop box for keys when vehicle is returned??

I see LOTS of weekend trips by me to the "office" to get keys for some of our not so bright employees.

The old way worked nearly flawless for my 20+ years........... Ugh!!

Help!!! Thanks!!!

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  07:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went through this last year.

I tried electronic lockboxes for van keys (since everybody and their brother drives my vans), they didn't hold up. I have two mechanical lockboxes for van keys now but had to get "pull apart" keyrings since the keys and entry remotes wouldn't fit so well in the boxes. We leave the actual key in the cupholder of the vans (out of sight) anf just put the remotes in the boxes.

For buses, I ordered a bunch of cam locks (think desk drawer locks) from Grainger. All keyed alike, tubular keys. http://www.grainger.com/product/AMERICAN-LOCK-Tubular-Cam-Lock-1HZL2?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1HZL2_AS01?$smthumb$

Your price will be about half of the retail shown in the link.

I installed them in place of the thumb latches on Blue Bird's little glove box thing above the windshield and keys go in there. My newest buses (bird and IC dont have those gloveboxes, so I put the locks on the optional driver's overhead storage boxes and keys go in there.

It's work out well for us, but if you don't have those storage boxes it obviously won't. I have seen small key boxes that also use those tubular keys, but it's been a while.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  08:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a small bus fleet with only 2 different keyway ignitions between the 13 of them. i just keyed them all alike. with every new bus i removed the switch and took it to a local lock shop. every driver just keeps 2 keys and they can drive any bus.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  09:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last system I was in we kept the keys on the buses, until 3 of them were stolen. We then went to a key box that that was locked in the office. We end trips had to pick the keys up the last working day of the schools and upon return the dropped them in a drop box.
The first few months were painful as we would get calls at home. (I forgot to get the keys) A few butt chewing and late arrival took care of that and problem ended.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  11:31:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are a small school with a small fleet (9 busses) and all of the vehicles and equipment is stored in the transportation yard - including maintenance, custodial, grounds, etc. We have a small mail/driver room that has a key for everything hanging there. (Mowers/tractors, etc included.) Everyone gets keys from there each morning. We have a white board where we assign the vans daily and the van drivers know to check it and take whatever van they are assigned. (Their key is right on the white board.) If they are going on a weekend, then they are required to pick up keys the day before. The drivers know that they are out of luck if they forget to get keys. On the outside of the driver room, there is a key drop so when drivers return, they just drop the keys in there and don't have to have access to inside the room. Our yard is fenced and locked every night as well.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  1:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We are a little larger than D Ferrall but we use much the same system. Before we upgraded to card scanners, the oil room held all the keys and an oil and fluids Bar for the buses, and was accessed on weekends with a gate key that was given out on Fri. The gate key got them inside the gate and into the key room. Our lot is fenced and locked nights and weekends. No keys are ever supposed to be left in the buses. Now with the scanners every one with a transportation ID has access and once teachers are trained and background checked thie ID's are added to the list.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  2:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are a small district, like above, and I use a keyless entry on my shop door. Much like the 3rd one down in this link http://keywaychicago.com/commercial-locksmith-in-chicago/access-control/
My drivers wash their bus, go to the bathroom, get paperwork, etc when I'm not here. Has worked flawlessly for a couple years now. I assign them a code that only them and I know, if they leave I delete the code.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

rcbusman

21 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2015 :  12:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit rcbusman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well we have a couple outside as of this year we have been spoiled with all inside storage up to this point but we keep the keys on hooks and lock the busses up. I have noticed that all the busses equipped with electric door locks are all keyed alike and ch545 is stamped on the key and all the mechanical locks use a key stamped LL025. so the mechanics each carry a copy of each key on their key rings which gives them access to the entire fleet (27 busses) made of bluebird and international. so maybe you can find a common hiding spot for the keys and have the first and last people lock and unlock the doors. at our locations the 2 mechanics do it. or maybe issue a door key to each driver.
Go to Top of Page

scoutmom2

17 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2015 :  9:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our keys are all kept in the dispatch office (for 250 vehicles), the driver has to ask for them, and we still have problems.
During the week, drivers have to ask the dispatcher (or a manager) for their key to the bus/van. On weekends, if we have a lot of charters going out, we have someone at dispatch. Otherwise, paperwork and keys for the vehicles to be used are in the driver room and there is a basket to turn keys in.
The problem becomes drivers do not want "their" vehicle used for anything but their routes. So they take keys home and we have to pull out the spares. Or a driver keeps losing keys. We have spares, but we had one that the driver is now on their third key and the first two have now shown up in dispatch. Or if we can't find a key, we end up calling drivers at home to locate the key.
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  11:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoutmom2

The problem becomes drivers do not want "their" vehicle used for anything but their routes. So they take keys home and we have to pull out the spares. Or a driver keeps losing keys. We have spares, but we had one that the driver is now on their third key and the first two have now shown up in dispatch. Or if we can't find a key, we end up calling drivers at home to locate the key.

I don't understand how bus companies have no rules and no consequences when a driver breaks a rule. This is a common place where I work, and it gets old fast to have to compensate for someone being a jerk. It would take just one time to tell a driver to take the week off without pay, and most of the others would shape up.

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  04:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We key all our buses the same, so right now we only have to keep up with 6 different keys. We have 120 in our fleet.

Edited by - JoeHEB1 on 11/02/2015 08:27:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  05:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have 34 IC buses. What would be good estimate on getting ours keyed the same?
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  08:23:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We take off the ignition switch and take it to our local locksmith, they charge us $6 to key it the same as all our other IC. They do it while we wait.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000