Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Stiil down new info Cummins 5.9
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  10:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awhile back I wrote about a TC 2000 that quit .I am still on the fence with this . I don't know a lot about the newer Cummins so I am learning . To refresh the bus died in route and won't start back up . hanged fuel filters bled the system off .So I went the Cummins dealer to pick their brain . Was asked about codes and told them I got a 251 and a 233 . Was told those aren't Cummins codes . They did give me this neat shop wire diagram with the codes . I spent days checking power to everything and have the correct power to the ECM and the computer on IJ . . So I studied the code list for Cummins and did the self diagnostics I studied the sheet and found my codes and cross them over . I have 364 374 and a 517.Please tell what this could mean . I thinking IJ or fuel pump. There are 2 valves on the secondary filter. Do these control the chance fuel pressure drops and shuts off fuel to save the IJ ? Thanks for any help !!!!

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  7:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the injection pump failed or wiring to it is bad.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  05:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure where you are located, but if there is ANY use of ice treating chemicals on your roads, you need to look inside the PDU box located under the bus and forward of the left front wheel.

We've had the internal components so corroded up that the bus couldn't run or it was nothing short of a miracle that it was running! Pull each fuse and check, we've had terminals totally rotted off.

It was a horrible place to jam an electrical box, but typical of school bus builders' engineering staff.

Go to Top of Page

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  2:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked the box first and everything had power and fuses were good . I checked power to the ECM had power and checked the plug on top the IJ and it had power where it was supposed to .How do I check the fuel pump ?Since it doesn't kick in till bus is running ?
Go to Top of Page

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  8:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any body ????? I figured there has got to be someone familiar with a 5.9 Cummins
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000