Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  11:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

We thought you might be interested to read this week's blog post. SBF Executive Editor Thomas McMahon shares students' reaction to a recent school bus crash in Colorado, as relayed to him by the school bus driver.

http://blogs.schoolbusfleet.com/AlongForTheRide/archive/2014/03/10/How-kids-react-to-a-school-bus-crash.aspx

Sincerely,
Kelly Aguinaldo
SBF Managing Editor

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  4:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kids are far more resilient than adults... I learned this lesson in February 2013.

One of my buses was carrying 41 students aged 5-12 when the driver lost control on a snow and ice covered road. The bus ended up on the driver's side in a field.

Watching the video was truely amazing. Before the driver could even get unbuckled, the kids were lining up and opening the escape hatches and rear door. A ten year old boy (who happens to be the driver's son) held the heavy emergency door open while everyone climbed out. He wasn't tall enough to engage the hold-open.

Thankfully we only had minor injuries that day. I told the sub covering the route the next morning that I didn't expect many kids to ride. Imagine my surprise when she pulled in nearly full!

One boy who was on the accident bus remarked to another driver about the crash a few days later "That was fun!".

Okay so maybe I disagree with that statement, but I have to admit, the kids handled the ordeal better than us grown ups for sure!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  07:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good story, I'm glad they are ok. By the way, how are you? Are you back at work?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  01:09:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doing great here, surgery was a total success. I am still a bit too weak to work just yet. Probably in another week or two I'll be back on a daily basis.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  11:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THAT IS AWESOME!! I am really glad you are doing well. Hope things get back to normal soon.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000