Management/Operations
 Enter Forum: Management/Operations
 9 Second Alarm in South Carolina
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueRidge Boy2014

8 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2013 :  1:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueRidge Boy2014's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the buses in SC, the ones built after 1994 all have (or originally had) a 9 second warning alarm, that sounded while the crossing gate, and door was closing after the 8-way system was activated.

The 2006-13 C2's don't have the same alarm as the older Thomas FS-65's, and Thomas pushers do, they beep the horn 5 times...

Here is a video of the alarm, at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DngULxV_Xi4 (FAST FORWARD TO 2:19)

Are we the only state?

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2013 :  10:17:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oklahoma does not have this alarm. I guess I don't understand why it would even be needed. What is the reason for it.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2013 :  2:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just now had the chance to look at that video. So this alarm is audible outside? Why would you have that? Isn't everyone supose to be either clear of the bus or inside that bus at that point?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2013 :  6:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was a driver, we had a bus in the fleet with one of those audible warning alarms. After the door was closed, the reds would stay on and the alarm would sound for several seconds as a warning to people outside the bus that it was about to move. It felt weird to just sit there for an extra few seconds; you really couldn't pull away with the sign still hanging out, either. It allowed PLENTY of time to double-check the mirrors, though, which was a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  06:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

When I was a driver, we had a bus in the fleet with one of those audible warning alarms. After the door was closed, the reds would stay on and the alarm would sound for several seconds as a warning to people outside the bus that it was about to move. It felt weird to just sit there for an extra few seconds; you really couldn't pull away with the sign still hanging out, either. It allowed PLENTY of time to double-check the mirrors, though, which was a good thing.

Does your state law also dictate that you need to put the bus in neutral and set the brake before opening the door (& thus turning on the reds)? Our state procedure also dictates that 8 ways go off (door closed) and then release the brake and put in gear. Complicated!! And dangerous in my opinion. That's really what I want to do is lock a parking brake on an IC hydraulic system (that have a habit of malfunctioning) right in the middle of the road with a load of kids. Wow, who thought that one up?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  4:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our state regulations (OH) mandate a similar procedure with the parking brake. Twenty years ago, you were taught to simply put the bus in neutral; no parking brake was required.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRidge Boy2014

8 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  09:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueRidge Boy2014's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is VERY audible outside of the bus!

As Sherm said, if the system is working right (Many many SC buses have shorts) the reds will stay on until the alarm is finished.

The crossing gate is NOT suppose to come in on our buses, until the alarm stops... On the newer ones, it comes in as the alarm is sounding.

We're supposed to wait until it's finished, but many drivers just take off.

Our Fleet is the oldest, State Owned, and they're wore out. But we still have that feature.

All buses after 1995 are supposed to be equipped with it. Unless it's a manual door bus. Buses with manual doors do not have it (County is Manual, State is usually Automatic)
Go to Top of Page

BlueRidge Boy2014

8 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  09:41:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueRidge Boy2014's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

Our state regulations (OH) mandate a similar procedure with the parking brake. Twenty years ago, you were taught to simply put the bus in neutral; no parking brake was required.

Yes indeed. 20 years ago most people probably didn't have all air brake buses, slap stick brake buses are harder to take the brake on and off.

They're all trained, but some people sway from training.... (-__-) When you come up to the stop, you're to apply your park brake, and put the bus in neutral before you even open the door.

Many people don't do it this way. And as a Student, when I ride someones bus, I will ask them if they haven't, the next time I go to board, to apply the parking brake. Your foot isn't as reliable as the parking brake, your foot could slip.

I should be at base instead of a student, haha.

Bwest- (EDIT) Our C2's have an issue with disengaging the parking brake. You're suppose to mash the pedal firmly and then release it. But sometimes they will not release.

Edited by - BlueRidge Boy2014 on 11/27/2013 09:42:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2013 :  10:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With 20 years in the industry & more prior to that in the automotive field I'll tell you that things will malfunction. It makes little sense to me to have a bus full of kids in the middle of the road with the parking brake on, with the potential for it to stay on. The industry fathers are always harping about "moving your bus to a safe location" when there is a mechanical malfunction. What would you do if the brake stayed on in the middle of the street? Don't tell me unload the kids because that's another thing that is always harped on. "Leave your kids on the bus unless there is a potential for fire" . Looks to me like we are setting up for a real bad accident. Just my two cents

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  4:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is an absolute no-brainer to apply the parking brake and put the bus in neutral while loading and unloading students. If for whatever reason the driver becomes distracted, incapacitated, or if the bus is rear-ended, the parking brake provides a significant safety boost to prevent the bus from rolling.

As a proponent of air brakes on large buses, there is very margin for failure of the air parking brake system. IC hydraulic is another story, but you could always order an air parking brake with hydraulic service brakes.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2013 :  7:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All due respect Rich, I just don't understand the idea of saying "if.... the driver becomes distracted, incapacitated or..." All these things can happen when the driver is in total control of the bus going down the road. I don't argue that locking the brake down and taking the thing out of gear is a safe thing to do in most instances. What I am arguing is that what if there is a mechanical malfunction in the most inopportune time (as most mechanical malfunctions seem to happen) then I don't think of the potential hazard that exists. Non the less, my drivers will comply with the law, period. By the way, when I say period I mean period! Unlike a politician we all know.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000