Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Thomas 2014 HDX feedback
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2013 :  9:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SO whats it like maintaining a Thomas rear engine bus? We just got our first 2014's in and Im not sure what to make of them. And this may be a silly question but where is the BCM? Ive searched and found most of the modules ( engine ,abs,tranny) but have yet to find the Body Controller.
The belt to driveshaft to 90 degree gearbox to viscous fan drive is something to behold but I heard its better than what they had before.
How do you think one of these will hold up running down dirty roads in a heavy salt state? Id like your opinions and helpfull tips. Ive spent a good part of my life inside a Amtram re easy access engine bay .How would the thomas compare for ease of maintenence?

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2013 :  12:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Our newest a 2013 still has a hydraulic fan/ steering system.The HDX never got around to being multiplexed the whole system is relay actuated. Make friends with someone in your Thomas dealers parts dept. and get thomasbusonline you can look up parts and get to wiring diagrams through the parts sections specific to your bus. If your transportation department has a large format printer for maps, ANSI "C" makes a wiring diagram large enough you won't need glasses to read it. As far as dirty roads washing out the radiator and interer cooler weekly will help out.Most basic maintenence is fairly easy.
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2013 :  7:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No multiplexing? Thats wild. Ive just recently got the hang of programming features with service link on the new C2's .
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2013 :  5:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone else care to share experiences with the history of these vehicles? Wiring issues,corrosion, pattern failures,ect.
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2013 :  2:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is there a better mirror bracket system for the hdx than the bug antennas? For one the wipers dont wipe the window high enough to clear the glass which I cant see how thats legal. We installed 32" blades instead of 28" and adjusted them so it wipes the the edge of the glass. I remounted the visor brackets up tight to the windshield so it can be folded up and out of the way clear of the huge overhead mirror. It helped a lot but I think a better mirror system is in order. The center fans also block some vision of the right mirror. Im not sure if there is a shorter fan to fix that.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2013 :  05:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The new wiring system should take care of the old circuit board problems. As for corrosion the only problem has been the radiator fin erosion and plugging. When we rebuild the radiator for this condition we use a thicker core with another row of tubes wider spaced and with heavier cooling fins. This helps with the cleaning issue as well. Now the mirrors are another story, we too have readjusted the wipers and tried to adjust the arm as best as possible to give unobstucted view and found the remote heads do the best job with what we are given.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2013 :  3:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had to replace the radiators in all our EFs (I know that's a FE) they are all too new in my opinion to need radiators and were not covered under warranty.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  1:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really don't get why Thomas covered up the engine in this new design. One of the great things about the older Thomas buses was the accessibility of the engine. Now you can barely see the red engine under all the steel. I think the mechanical fan drive is a great idea but overall in my eyes any benefit to be gained by the mechanical fan drive is killed by the way they have covered up the engine. Its going to take forever to take that thing apart to do any major engine maintenance or repairs.
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  09:13:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ive already had to deal with a zero access left side of the engine. As far as the rube goldberg fan drive thats going way beyond complex and expensive when a couple of simple electric fans and larger or separate altenator would have done the job. Or just mounting the radiator offset on the rear with just a belt for a fan drive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000