Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

International110

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2001 :  6:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are obviously MANY debates going around here. Just for fun or maybe I just don't have anything to do, but if you could design your own school bus, what would you include it it? (Driver's area layout, seats, switches, body, etc.) :)

WJG

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2001 :  7:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Let's see...where to begin...

I would start off with an International chassis, equipped with all of the features International has to offer their school bus chassis. I would also use the DT466E engine with 250 horsepower. Accompanied with that, I would have the Allison 2000 series automatic transmission. I would also have my bus equipped with air brakes and an air door as well. I would make 80" of head room part of the standard equipment as well.

Moving inside...I would have the International dashboard with hour meter, transmission temperature gage, and amps gage. I would have a switch panel to the left of the driver arranged in three rows and angled just right so the driver could easily access and read it. I would use rocker-style switches for most of the switches. On the top row, on the left, I would have a strobe light switch, CL LPS, Destination sign, dome lights (2 switches 1 for the front lights and 1 for the back) drivers dome light, then I would leave a little bit of space after that and have a crossing gate switch, a master switch for the red warning lamps, and a flashing lights switch for the amber lights. The headlamp switch and panel dim would follow next to that.

Second row... I would have the heater, fan (3), and defroster (2) switches. My bus would also have power heated mirrors including the "cat's eyes" mirrors as well as a rear defroster. One of the fans would be on the driver's side window with the two other ones above the center of the windshield. The second row of switches for the heater, defroster, and fans would all be knobs too. I would also have a couple air circulation knobs as well as a heater booster switch too.

Third row would be for any optional equipment such as a vandal lock or anything else the district specifies.

All of the switches would have the name of the function provided, all of them would be back-lit, easy to read, have symbols for their function, and have a little reminder light that lets the driver know the switch was left on (kind of like AmTran, but with better quality, design, installation, serviceability, and longetivity). I would also have all of the switches color coded by function. (Light switches=orange, heater and defroster switches/knobs=red, fans=blue, and all others would be gray or black). All of them would also be grouped together by function as well...but all on one switch panel. There would be some space left between each group/function of all the switches as well. There would be 3 access panels to the fuses in 3 different sections of the bus.

Mounted on top of the switch panel and integrated into it would be 5 LED's. One to let the driver know the entrance door is open, one for the ambers, one for the reds, one for the strobe, and one to let the driver know that 1 or more emergency exits may be open when they are not supposed to be.

Next to the panel near the front left windshield, at the top, I would have 2 intermittent wiper switches, below that I would have an exterior light monitor, and below that I would have the radio and P.A. system controls and knobs.

Moving to just behind the windshield would be the dashboard. To the right of the dashboard I would have the push-button transmission selector, air parking brake, below that the ignition, below that the air door switch (push-pull), and then the electronic throttle switches and standard cruise control switch as well. I would make the air door switch have 3 positions on it. 1st position would be closed, 2nd position would be activate the reds with the door cracked open, and then the 3rd position would be to open the door.

The am/fm radio would include CD and cassette (6-disk CD changer optional), with Bose speakers. (hehehehehehe)

These buses would come with standard features such as programmable CB radios, tinted windows, crossing gates, child reminder systems, entrance door locks, bostrum power 8-way adjustable seats, fireblock passenger seats (with colors ranging from: red, brown, gray, green, light brown, blue, light blue, burgundy, orange, yellow, charcoal, light gray, baby blue, and meadow green). Another added safety feature would be a driver's air bag and a standard tilt/telescopic wheel would be standard as well as adjustable peadals (yeah, yeah, yeah, I stole that from the Thomas Saf-T-Liner, but made it standard equipment)!!!!

I would make sure there would be excellent entrance door width, ailse width, and legroom for passengers. Buses made with large capacities would come standard with 3 vent hatches, 1 left and 1 right side emergency exit door (one in the back too) and 4 emergency exit windows on each side. Strobe lights would be standard as well. I would also have 2 turn signals standard on the side of the school bus body as well.

In addition to those, an engine brake would be optional. I would use a Bendix air dryer for the air brakes. The standard interior color would be stone gray. P.A. system would be standard, fog lamps optional, a/c optional, luggage racks optional, and underneath pass-thru luggage standard. A 100 gallon fuel tank would be standard for the bigger buses. I would include an integrated cupholder near the driver. A storage bin for the driver's clip board, pre-trip book, and log book. A standard trash container would also be standard as well as a broom. A full reflective tape marking package would be standard. I would use LED lights for all lights in the rear as well as the 8-ways and stop signs. Two stop signs would be standard for the left side of the school bus too.

This school bus would be designed with safety, comfort, and convenient driver accessories in mind.

I don't think anyone would want a price range for this bus...so I will leave that out!!!! LOL

Bob
"B. Busguy33"

Edited by - B. Busguy33 on 04/15/2001 7:27:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2001 :  10:35:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hres my info on what I would spec out. I have everything pretty basic and specific brands are not of that important to me just yet but i am quite picky on some things:

Thomas Body- New Saf-T-Liner HD rear engine
Cat engine 3126 series 230 hp
Allison World Trans

Air ride suspension front and rear
Air brakes- Bendix
Automatic transmission
3 escape hatches and roof vents
Accoustic celing headlining throught interior of bus
100 gallon fuel tank
luggae bays below
grey ceiling panels
grey leatherette seats
strobe light
16 lamp light monitor
a.m./f.m./ radio with P.A. system with 8 interior speakers and 1 exterior
dual Transpec stop arms
emergency equipment bulk head above windshield
intermittent windshield wipers
tinted windows
flat black painted window frames
78 inch interior
air door- already standard
rubber fenderettes around wheelhousing
led lighting throughout bus- all exterior lights
white/ grey marbelized floor with Blue, burgundy, black and teal speckles- RCA floor covering inc
Rosco heated and electric mirrors
Cat eye crossover mirror- heated
Two leaf outward opening door
White painted roof
Heavier and stronger axles in front and rear
Budd rims
visors on warning lights
tow hooks
mud flaps that extend the interior width of bus
wheel skirts
Heaters gallore- basic locations
Air conditioning if in budget but i would like to have it
Isringhauser deluxe driver's air ride seat
Storm windows in drivers window, first seats and door
Tilt telescoping steering wheel
Flat floor design

I think this is it and I am sure i forgot a few items, But this is what i would like

Go to Top of Page

ash992

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2001 :  10:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit ash992's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is something anyone would like-an International chassis with 530E engine (330 hp)with an Int'l dash and very high quality construction. The seats would be real thick vinyl, so it would be tear-resistant, and be like Thomas seats. The joints would all be caulked and the bus would go through a leak test to make sure that there would be no leaks.It would have an Allison 2000 series tranny with a reverse guard that keeps the bus from engaging reverse unless the nav system states that the bus is off its intended route-that would solve my sub driver problem.
It would have Rosco mirrors and A/C/heater.
Also,Xenon HID headlights.
And powerful interior lights for Reading Olympics or other night trips and an airdoor.
Now this would be a good bus in my opinion-Thomas quality at an AmTran(read:dirt cheap)price!!

Ash992"The AmTran Nut"
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2001 :  2:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ash,
With that engine! You would not have a cheap Bus!!...lol

Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2001 :  11:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is my ideal bus:

Type D RE bus with a Detroid Diesel series 60. The body would be a Thomas, however to accomidate more students, I would make the bus longer and articulate the middle. Thats right, the bus would bend in the middle like a tractor trailer. I would have the high roof, with two vents on the front section, and one on the back. Dark tinted windows and a white roof would be good too. While I am at it, why dont I just add an AC system. The interior would be the grey scheme that Thomas uses, and the floor would be black. On the front section of the bending bus, I would have an emergency door on both sides, while the back section would only have a door on the driver's side and a window exit in the rear. The drivers area would have a nice air-ride seat with arm rests. All major controls, such as the air-door and warning lights, would be placed on the steering wheel which would be of the tilt fashion. All other features of a drivers area would follow those of the new Safe-T-Liner. There would be a white low profile strobe light near the rear of the bus. All warning lights and the tail lights would be LED clusters. A break light would also be nice, so for that, I would want a foot long strip of red LEDs centered about an inch below the back window. As an added bonus, this bus would also have a kneeling suspension to allow for easy boarding.

Here is my drawing of such a bus.
http://mason.gmu.edu/~tbateman/images/1400.jpg

I think that it is safe to say that I am out of my mind. I would LOVE to see a price tag for a bus like this.

Edited by - busfreak on 04/18/2001 12:30:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2001 :  03:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say that my bus would be just like a regular GMC Blue Bird, but with some changes. The changes would be: I'd have the "flip" school bus sign on top of the front window and back emergency door. A yellow crossing gate in front, strobe in the back, chrome nuts on the wheel's instead of the black ones, 4 emergency windows, 2 vents/emergency exits, tinted windows, I want the push/pull switches again, heated/electric mirrors, cell phone, AM/FM radio, air horn, camera and that's about it!

Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2001 :  07:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
a perfect bus for me would be a new refreshed Wayne body and a GMC chassis conventional model. ( I actually am one of the few that liked the Wayne look ). The GMC chassis would be equiped with air brakes, 3126 Cat and an allison 2000. The Wayne body would be a 72 passenger, with 73" standard ceiling height. It would include...3 roof hatches, 8 pushout windows, tinted glass, black sash ( I love the few waynes that had tinted glass and black sash , it looks great ), outward opening air powered entrance door, 8 way warning lighting and two left mounted stop arms all with LED lighting. Euro style mirrors, bus boy crossover mirrors, Reflective tape gallore, including " SCHOOL BUS " signage. Double Luggage compartments. I would order the warning light hoods, I think some buses look bare without them, specially older waynes. Sanders, and cowl protection panels for the bad winter days. The interior would obviously be completly redesigned. It would have the standard GMC dash board, with a switch panel that looks alot like the BlueBirds between 1994 and 1998 or so. I like that shape, but I would use backlite rocker switches. the driverside window will have a low dip in it so that it would enhance visibility on that side of the bus, and from the outside would look kinda cool ( kind of like some new coach buses have that dipped front windows) . I dont wanna get carried away so maybe I should stop here.

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2001 :  5:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
BusFreak,

I love your picture of your school bus design description. It looks really nice!

Bob
"B. Busguy33"
Go to Top of Page

International110

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2001 :  6:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I suppose you all want to know what mine would be! I really didn't think I'd get this many responses...but keep in mind...it's all in fun!

The bus would be a Rear Engine with, of course, an International chassis with a DT466E engine with the Allison 2000 auto transmission. I would only use air brakes... that's the only type I'd ever use again.

The driver's area would be similar to the International FE because I like the ergonomic wrap-around style. International's switches are pretty much the same switches in a Thomas except I like what International did with them better. But my switches would make an audible sound (a nice soothing woman's voice) when I turned them on. One thing I will steal from Thomas, I really like the noise button idea. You can flip a switch and the radio and heater, etc. will shut off like if you are at a railroad crossing, etc. (really cool!) Also, I would have a small speaker on the control board to monitor what was playing on the radio and the radio controls on the board instead of reaching up. (Or, to save effort, the radio could be on the board too!) Another extra thing, kind of far-fetched for our school district, is a modern communication system. Our district doesn't use a CB system. I would have an on-board computer that instantly delivered messages from the dispatcher to a screen or something like that. All we have right now is Cell Phones and they aren't hands-free. I would have to steal B. Busguy's idea about the push/pull air door knob. I really like that idea! The International switch is strange looking and I think the suggested design would solve some problems. I also would like a small camera put on the bumper that led to a monitor on the control board...this really should solve the problems of kids getting run over if the drivers would look out!!!

The body would be a high-quality Thomas but I would make it look like an International. The current aisles on the Internationals are way too thin. I would widen the aisle so bigger people could actually fit down it. As for the seats, I would have Thomas seats that were burgundy.

And I'm running out of time, but in the back where some of the most troublesome kids linger, I would have a tiny camera that they couldn't see recording their actions. This way, one could be at the front and back.

This is my two cents! Happy driving!

WJG
Go to Top of Page

WayneLifguard44

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2001 :  12:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I got to have my own designed bus I would have these features.

Air Brakes
Air Door
Air Horn (wouldn't be able to live without that)
Blue or Grey seats
Nice comfortable Bus Driver Seat
The driver area the dash would look like the All Americans with there lighted up stuff.
Now to the switches I don't know if I would like rocker switch or maybe a easy touch something of my idea you would touch the top and it would be lite up so you could tell what is on. I would have a thing to tell you what lights are on and if they are working. There would be a bin to open sections to fit your pappers in. Then small sections for like pens and pencils and small little papper. And then a box area so you can put things in like extra keys and for women or men put money and stuff and lock them up inside. Then there would be a easy to reach driver cup holder. There would be mini not able to see cameras at the front and back to see what the kids are doing without them knowing. I would want a Child reminder system on my bus. That there a switch in the back you have to get to. If not checked and bus is turned off and the driver door is closed The switch will have a flashing light on the bus on the outside for it to be seen and a serin to sound. So everyone will have to do it and everyone will know it done.
I also would have little numbers over everyone seat with a nice thing that you can write the kids name on under it and wipe it off and change it when needed (if you have assigned seats) Well that about all.
I bet I forgot something. Well you all have idea of what I would want!

Wayne Lifeguard44 -Tyler
Go to Top of Page

cowlitzcoach
Advanced Member

USA
325 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2001 :  8:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit cowlitzcoach's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The ideal bus was built in Los Angeles for almost 50 years. Of course I am referring to the Crown Supercoach.

The basic design needs no real improvement. The only improvements would be to update to 2001 technology.

The mid-mount engine location allows for some real HP. My choice would be to move up to a Cummins 350/400 BCIII with an Allison, preferrably with a retarder built in.

Full air ride suspension would really take the bumps out of the road.

Tinted glass and a white roof would keep the bus cooler. Accoustical ceiling would make the bus even quieter.

Any floor color except for black would be nice. I like the gray seats with light grey floors.

The addition of a mirror system like that found on the new Thomas buses would be a pretty cool as well. Motorized, heated mirrors allow every sized driver to see regardless of the weather.

Adjustable pedals with an air ride seat would adjust the driver's compartment to fit all sizes of drivers.

If I were to change anything in the basic design it would be to make the windshields larger. Other than that, the steel "Ring of Safety", the all aluminum body panels, and the highest floor in the industry all contribute to a long lasting and very safe bus.

Mark O.

P.S. I like my Crown. It will still be making runs long after the competition has been turned into razor blades.

Go to Top of Page

largebus
Advanced Member

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2001 :  4:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit largebus's Homepage  Send largebus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Any bus that has the passenger comforts of a long distance motorcoach with a school bus's safety features would be my dream bus...A/C, video systems, comfortable seats, the works! Make me one...with everything!

Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2001 :  6:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always liked the idea behind the frontal design on the old AmTran Genesis FE with the 4-piece windshield. So, I had a thought. A neat design for an front-engine transit bus (or rear-engine for that matter) would be to put a large window extending from top to botton ahead of the doors, like the Thomas Vista. But the bus would be a flat-nosed transit style, but have a window like that ahead of the doors for better visibilty.

The design works for the inside as well, you can put the driver seat more forward and possibly add a bench seat to the left side of the bus.

I think it'd be a pretty good design, and it's functional just as well.

Edited by - thomasvista2012 on 09/21/2001 6:19:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2001 :  8:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
but wouldnt that make the driver not aligned with the entrance door?

Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2001 :  8:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it wouldn't make the driver's seat aligned with the door, but what harm is done there? The driver would be moved up forward to be able to see out the window, and moved up so that they wouldn't have this huge dashboard in front of them. I don't see any problem with the driver's seat not being aligned with the doors.

"Gotta love those buses!"
Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2001 :  11:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Of course you don't, you like vistas hehehe.

Actually, I agree that the driver should be aligned with the door. It provides them with a much better view of students loading, in case someone trips or bends down to pick something up. Students are more likely to be right in line with the door, not in line with the window in front. Besides, AmTran is the only FE transit that doesn't put the door right next to the windshield—Blue Bird and Thomas both have the door far enough forward that it's not really an issue.

And I've never had any complaints about the driver not being far enough forward in a transit, I mean, it's still a hell of a lot better than a conventional.

—Phil

"It's the same way some people are obsessed with cars. I'm just weird."
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2001 :  09:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Phil, and I think we actually need to look at teh Conventional design and try and come out with or modify that to make it better. I think any product can be better, but the conventional model could be better. Last year, I tampered with a conventional model, and I designed the glass to kind of mold all the way around the cowl on both sides. I know it seems far-fetched, but I dont see why in the future it cant be done. Anyways, if you didnt catch it last year,,,,this was it..
http://www.rit.edu/~jag1650/IC%20bus%201.jpg

( disregard the ugly body side moldings, thats something thats optional ,,ehhehe )

Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2001 :  12:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For me, I would add the design of the Gillig Phantom transit bus with the design of the classic design of the older Gilligs. I would add the windows of the Phantom (including the slanted driver's window), the "kneeling stepwell," and some other minor stuff. The interior dashboard design would come from design cues of the 1989 Ford Taurus and Tempo. Then I would keep the exterior design of the classic Gilligs intact, and use the current Gillig logo lettering in the older "Gillig oval."

"Preserving America's best - THE GILLIG! - THE BEST NEVER REST" http://www.geocities.com/gilligcoaches/
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2001 :  12:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve, for some of us who dont know, what is the kneeling step well, and also, can you explain a little more how the designs of the old gilligs ( conventionals I am guessing ) were better? I dont know much about them

Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2001 :  2:11:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The kneeling stepwell is a hydraulically powered stepwell that with the flip of a switch, the stepwell "kneels" or lowers itself down to curbside level. One of Gillig's buses, called the Advantage, uses this technique on a larger level - the entire floor is flat - with no stepwells at all.

I was referring to the transit design, because I don't like conventional school buses. Transit is the only way to go for me.

The Gillig conventional buses were the standard Gillig transit bus body with a Ford chassis, or in rare occasions, a GMC. The conventinals had the typical configuration of a conventional, but the basic body design came from the transit lineup. The only reason Ford was more commonly used is because at the time Gillig was making conventional school buses, all of their gasoline engines were supplied by Ford. In fact, the shade of blue used on Gillig oval emblems is the same color that Ford uses on their emblems- "Ford Blue."

"Preserving America's best - THE GILLIG! - THE BEST NEVER REST" http://www.geocities.com/gilligcoaches/
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2001 :  3:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, because I would never get rid of my bus for another one, I guess my dream bus would be the one I have now, but with some additions. I own a 1985 Thomas/Ford Conventional. It was a typical school bus for that time. Here are some features I'd like on it:
-Jacknife Air Door with 3-way control switch: closed - closed w/ red lights on (depending if the ambers are already on) - open w/ red lights on (depending if the ambers are already on)
-Train Air Horns (a little far-fetched, I know)
-SMC yellow crossing arm
-3 SMC stop arms - left front - left rear - right rear all with CRS strobing LEDs
-All warning lights with CRS strobing LED's
-Glass enclosed lighted destination sign (changeable from the inside)
-3 Webasto Thermo System roof hatches electrically controlled to pop up with the flip of a switch and w/ exhaust fans
-Stobe light (already equipped)
-Pannasonic AM/FM CD Cassette radio with PA with 7 speakers...6 inside, 1 outside
-Driver's dome light
-Boarding light above service door on exterior
-red light above every EMERGENCY EXIT (interior)
-8 exit window (4/side)
-LED lighting for all lights except headlights and front turnsignals
-fiber optic aisle lighting-comes on with interior lights
-Saf-T-Guard child deflector (all rear wheels)
-white roof
-warning light visors
-3M reflective tape all over
-chrome wheels
-Eurostyle heater/motorized mirrors
-Black window frames
-tinted windows
-on outside, black around all exterior windows above top rub rail (kind of like Blue Bird sometimes does except wrapping around the back)
-hidden cameras
-camera under the bus with monitor in dashboard
-vandal lock on emergency exits and front door with ignition interlock

I'm pretty sure I left some things out. But I'll leave it at this. Oh, my bus already has air brakes so I don't ahve to dream abou that.

Stop at: www.mikesbusyard.cjb.net

Edited by - The BusBoy on 09/22/2001 3:12:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

mousemeat

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2001 :  3:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, some of you guys, and gals, sure know your busses. They sound great. But there is one thing, and only one, that I would love to see on my bus, LOL, a bathroom. Private of course.

Carrie Fox
Go to Top of Page

largebus
Advanced Member

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2001 :  1:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit largebus's Homepage  Send largebus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A restroom on a school bus actually isn't a bad idea. I think a bus should be developed with the luxury features of a motorcoach, with the safety features of a school bus. That would be my dream vehicle.

Go to Top of Page

mr.dave
Advanced Member

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  07:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to see the following
A more comfee ergonomic drivers seat.
Insurments placed up where the driver can see them without having to lean forward over the steering wheel.
Passenger seats one inch away from walls, made from padded slats for visibility of students, as well as cleaning.
Portholes below bus windows so small children are not tempted to rise up to see out of bus.
A "leaf blower" hose hooked to the air tanks for cleaning the bus.
A switch or valve to drain air tanks located somewhere other than under the bus
Better ventilation of bus
Much better suspension.
An alarm, and light to indicate which emergegcy exit is open.
I could go on but I would be more griping than helping. I do like the suggestions of the other drivers, and can see they have put in more thought than I.
Oh yes a giant flyswatter on top of the bus to squash cars parked in the bus loop would be nice.

shalom dave

Edited by - mr.dave on 08/02/2002 11:03:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  12:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some newer changes I would liek to see is a new type A design. I want to see a merger happen in which a version of the IC bus is composed in a type A design. Make everything molded as one piece, an electric door and better viewing from the passenger side near the front of the bus. I would love to see the body manufacturer and chasis design team come together and mold the gauges, panels all into one, more rounded to incorpate the switches, body design and have a one complete unit. Allow this bus to be stronger and more aerodynamic.

Jared, can you help?

It's the little things that count
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  1:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some newer changes I would liek to see is a new type A design. I want to see a merger happen in which a version of the IC bus is composed in a type A design. Make everything molded as one piece, an electric door and better viewing from the passenger side near the front of the bus. I would love to see the body manufacturer and chasis design team come together and mold the gauges, panels all into one, more rounded to incorpate the switches, body design and have a one complete unit. Allow this bus to be stronger and more aerodynamic.

Jared, can you help?

hey busdiva,,well,,,last year around this time , I attempted a real IC bus of my own that incorporates the chassis with the body. From the outside, it still appears like a body / chassis arrangment, but I am 'pretending' that this bus will all be built and designed in the same building. Refresh your memory,,,heres some pics,,,,and a rough one of what I want the interior to appear like......any suggestions are welcome,,,I havent updated the bus much since this time last year.

http://www.rit.edu/~jag1650/IC%20bus%201.jpg
http://www.rit.edu/~jag1650/ic%20bus2.jpg
http://www.rit.edu/~jag1650/interior.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  1:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
another view that may help undestand my "IC" bus,,.
http://www.rit.edu/~jag1650/2002IC.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  2:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jared...

Those are truly spectacular designs! They are really detailed, and awesome!

What program do you use to draw those designs? I am interested in making 3D renderings of the Gillig Proposal I mentioned eons ago, and haven't found a program to do it yet.

Let me know! I am interested in it! And if there is, is there a site I can download it from?

Thanks, Steven

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet another dedication,

I am dedicating this post to perhaps one of the best engines used in a mid-engine setup, the Cummins NHH250. A 855 Cu. In. rngine, this engine whips out 250 horsepower, making it one of the largest engines ever produced for school buses today. Cummins, one of the best!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by - Steven A.Rosenow on 10/20/2001 2:26:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  2:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey
Jared, those I do remember and are awsome, but I was thinking more on the lines of the type A bus. The mini bus style. I like your ic but for a type A model, could you whip something up??

The more single pieces are better for cleaning and sleek looks.

Can you help on this??????

Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  2:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey
Jared, those I do remember and are awsome, but I was thinking more on the lines of the type A bus. The mini bus style. I like your ic but for a type A model, could you whip something up??

The more single pieces are better for cleaning and sleek looks.

Can you help on this??????

ok,,,so do you mean having characteristics of a type a such a limited capacity of like 36 or so? and being lower to the ground ? etc.etc.

Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  2:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Problem with having a Type A is that it's defined as a body built on a van cab chassis, therefore it couldn't be fully integrated. The only options are having a van cab built specifically for this bus, by the same company, or having it be a Type B, like the Blue Bird Mini-Bird (with a much better-looking design, of course).

—Phil

"It's the same way some people are obsessed with cars. I'm just weird."
Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  3:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jared
I am referrign to any capacity of the type A market. 24 Cap, 30 cap, 16 cap ona single rear wheel chasis.

Phil:
I understand the definition however the bus needs to look more sleek and competitive. The market has been aimed at large bus styles and the type a has had little progress except for Bluebird and GM.

Make the bus look more nicely fit together- gettign rid or hide rivets, bolts, and the area above the windshield below SCHOOL BUS that is pieced together. Giardin's commerical unti looks great, because it is sleek, hides the corners that are hide to wash and the interior is sleek- driver's area and all.

Hopes this helps

P.S. This bus also needs an electric door, i hit my knee way to much on the door handle when i drive the little buses/

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird523

19 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  5:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bus would be a Blue Bird conventional with a T444/6-speed manual combo. It would be on a GMC chassis with all of the GM-BB stuff but thats it.

Moving to the body, it would seat 110 persons in comfort. There would be mini-TVs(tour bus style) and a VCR. An air suspension/brakes/door would be nice too. Oh, and those eye-shaped mirrors on the front, too:).

Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  7:41:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, actually, about a month ago, I finished a partial remodeled version of my type A bus. I redesigned the front roof cap, to make it sleeker and more commercial like. However, I believe that I can do MUCH more with the bus, and plan to,,specially since I now have motivation to. Other models that I have just recently redesigned, were my transit models dash boards. If you remember, last year I showed off a dash board that had an adjustable center console, however, I can see this being a pain in the ass to maintain down the line.
I have a few pics of my partially new but still in progress Type A mini along with an exterior view of my FE were you can see the silhouette of the newly shaped and contoured dash board layout.

http://www.rit.edu/~jag1650/2002gmmini.jpg
http://www.rit.edu/~jag1650/2002GMmini.jpg
http://www.rit.edu/~jag1650/2002%20FE-T%20front%2034door.jpg

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2001 :  10:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
My bus would be a Blue Bird conventional with a T444/6-speed manual combo. It would be on a GMC chassis with all of the GM-BB stuff but thats it.

Moving to the body, it would seat 110 persons in comfort. There would be mini-TVs(tour bus style) and a VCR. An air suspension/brakes/door would be nice too. Oh, and those eye-shaped mirrors on the front, too:).

Hey BlueBird523,

Wouldn't you rather have the standard CAT diesel on the GM chassis? Especially if you are hauling 110 passengers, I think you would be better off with the CAT.

If you were going with the International chassis, I would go with a DT466E. Although, with 110 passengers on board, the idea of having a 530E instead doesn't seem too far-fetched either.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hey Jared,

Love those pictures and the designs you are working on. The windsheild on the transit-style bus looks like it would provide excellent visibility. Keep up the great work as always!!

Bob
(B. Busguy33)

"Blue Bird: Always flyin' high above the rest...
Blue Bird: One of America's Best!!! "

Edited by - B. Busguy33 on 10/21/2001 2:02:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.49 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000