New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  06:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I told everyone here that I would keep the forum up to date on our 2009 Vison Propane. I keep a very close eye on the fuel system parts including the fuel tank. This unit spent the first two years of its life as a demo so saw a lot of salt on the interstate and local roads in the St. Louis area. I am seeing a noticeable amount of corrosion on the surface of the tank. I have decided to remove the tank and have it blasted and powder coated. I would rather spend a little money now as to spend a lot later and also risk a propane leak.

The instructions seem pretty straight forward and I am employing the help of my propane supplier. They are going to pump the tank out and burn off what doesn't pump out.

I'll try to keep updating this as it goes along.

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  9:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've probably done around twenty-five propane de-fuelings so far. Mostly a compilation of what others say plus our own tweaks. We usually change the pump and 80% sensor while things are drained and open.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2013 :  4:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crown

We've probably done around twenty-five propane de-fuelings so far. Mostly a compilation of what others say plus our own tweaks. We usually change the pump and 80% sensor while things are drained and open.

I was thinking about the pump but hadn't thought about the sensor. Have you had any trouble from the sensor? Thanks for your response. I still think propane is the best fuel for a school bus. Looks as if more and more people are wanting to try it.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  9:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I was thinking about the pump but hadn't thought about the sensor. Have you had any trouble from the sensor? Thanks for your response. I still think propane is the best fuel for a school bus. Looks as if more and more people are wanting to try it.

Yes. If your bus suddenly won't take on fuel there's a good chance the sensor quit. All the internal parts are pricey, but so is labor. We generally change them when we have the tank open. It's a challenge working inside the tank virtually blind and with one arm, but you get used to it:-). We have quite a few propane buses and they are doing well overall.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  12:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's good to hear.
quote:

[quote] We have quite a few propane buses and they are doing well overall.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  09:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crown, I had my propane supplier out today. They indicated that they could help me with de-fuel but now have referred me to a company that works on propane tanks. I think this is probably the best route for me because we only have one now. Hopefully I can learn from the exercise and be able to get the adapters and any equipment I need for any future buses we get. I can't see getting all that for just one unit. By the way, do you hook onto your tanks through the solenoid valve? This company says they have an adapter to fit where the solenoid valve come off. If so is this valve the same on the Rousch system as it is on the Clean Fuel system?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  8:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Crown, I had my propane supplier out today. They indicated that they could help me with de-fuel but now have referred me to a company that works on propane tanks. I think this is probably the best route for me because we only have one now. Hopefully I can learn from the exercise and be able to get the adapters and any equipment I need for any future buses we get. I can't see getting all that for just one unit. By the way, do you hook onto your tanks through the solenoid valve? This company says they have an adapter to fit where the solenoid valve come off. If so is this valve the same on the Rousch system as it is on the Clean Fuel system?

We haven't drained any Rousch systems yet as they are still under warranty (nor have any failed). There are several safety issues that must be considered, but the Vision does drain from the solenoid valve. I don't think it would be all that efficient to learn and equip up just for one bus.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  06:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bwest

We haven't drained any Rousch systems yet as they are still under warranty (nor have any failed). There are several safety issues that must be considered, but the Vision does drain from the solenoid valve. I don't think it would be all that efficient to learn and equip up just for one bus.

Safety goes without saying on any fuel system repair on a propane unit. As time goes by I will learn how to do this and have the equipment to do it. But now is not the time for that. Maybe Rousch won't have the problems Clean Fuel is having.
By the way, has anyone heard what's going on with the propane engine that Clean Fuel is developing for Freighliner? I saw on the Thomas page of the School Bus Fleet product guide that they offer a propane engine but I have heard that they don't have a delivery date yet.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000