Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  10:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

We thought you might be interested to check out this news story. A system from Rostra Precision Controls Inc. and a system from National Patent Analytical Systems Inc. are undergoing evaluation for potential installation on school buses in the state to help prevent danger zone injuries and fatalities. The installation of such a system is a goal of the Smile BIG Foundation, which was founded in honor of Justin Bradfield. Bradfield was killed in a 2011 danger zone accident.

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/Channel/School-Bus-Safety/News/2013/04/01/Iowa-testing-student-detection-systems-for-school-buses.aspx

Sincerely,
Kelly Roher
SBF Managing Editor

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  11:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Electronic devices are not the answer to this problem, they are a knee-jerk reaction to a tragedy.

Schools around here have tried such devices in the past, and drivers learned to ignore them for the most part, because they alarmed because of normal roadside objects such as utility poles and mailboxes. Perhaps these newer systems will not have such faults.

The real solution is to use this as a learning opportunity. Educate drivers to adjust and use the mirrors properly. Educate the students about safety around the bus. I used to tell my riders "Remember, if you can't see me, I can't see you."

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 04/02/2013 11:30:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  7:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm not against technology assisting a driver but it simply can not take the place of proper training in the process of loading and unloading passengers. I have always preferred the Mirror Lite crossview mirrors, such as Bus Boy/Safety Cross/ and High Definitions. Some drivers prefer Rosco's because they can see their overhead warning lights with them. I have seen far too many times the Mirror Lite style mirrors completely out of adjustment, most times so that the driver can see the overhead lights. The focus needs to be on training drivers what the mirrors are for, how to use them, and to double check them after they believe all students are clear of the bus. The same thing goes for students who get caught in the door and are dragged by the bus.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000