Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Cell Phones
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tlbc

9 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  04:17:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit tlbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am just checking to see what your school policy's are for the use of cell phones will driving a school bus. Are your drivers allowed to use them and what is punishment if they do. Also what is the punishment for texting will driving with students on.

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  3:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not allowed for school bus drivers in Massachusetts. I think it's a $200 fine.
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  05:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not allowed while operating the bus. Disciplinary action, up to and including termination. At least one driver has been dismissed for a first offense. Another driver received a 30-day suspension, spread out as 2 days a week for 15 weeks. Ahh, consistency.
Go to Top of Page

bus917

United States
77 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  4:05:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Federal ruling has banned cell phone use in a commerical vehicle, unless it is with a hands free device. If caught on your cell phone without using a hands free device you could face a fine up to $ 2700.00. Using a hands free device depends if your company allows it or your state. My company says no. If caught your fired on the spot.
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  03:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Termination, zero tolerance.
Go to Top of Page

coolbuskid

51 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2013 :  10:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't do it while the bus is in motion.

Don't make phone calls, don't answer phone calls, and definitely don't try to type out text messages on the phone. I was riding a school bus route several weeks ago with a driver who was talking on the cell phone, and I was just about ready to whack him when he failed to yield to traffic at an intersection and forced a driver to make way for the bus. It sounded like a personal phone call, too, nothing to do with transportation. Hang up the stupid phone! I'd hate to burn a driver, but next time he's going to get more than a terse remark. That's distracted driving, and it doesn't matter whether you've got juveniles on the bus or not. You're operating a commercial vehicle and should not be doing anything that takes away from the safe operation of the bus.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/about/news/news-releases/2011/Secretary-LaHood-Announces-Step-towards-Safer-Highways.aspx

"The final rule prohibits commercial drivers from using a hand-held mobile telephone while operating a commercial truck or bus. Drivers who violate the restriction will face federal civil penalties of up to $2,750 for each offense and disqualification from operating a commercial motor vehicle for multiple offenses. Additionally, states will suspend a driver's commercial driver's license (CDL) after two or more serious traffic violations. Commercial truck and bus companies that allow their drivers to use hand-held cell phones while driving will face a maximum penalty of $11,000."

If you have to ask about it, you don't have a need to use the phone. The only reason you might have to use it is in an emergency, in which case you wouldn't be asking questions. You'd just dial the phone, or hand the phone to a passenger to complete the call. One of the things that I learned in school is that whenever there's a question about how much I can get away with doing something, it's probably something that shouldn't be done, so just don't do it. Some school districts like to make these stupid rules for students about using their cell phones, but if there's one person on the bus who should be forbidden from using a cell phone, it's the driver who is operating a moving vehicle. Hang up and drive.
Go to Top of Page

05ICCE

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  3:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit 05ICCE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The school supplied cell phone goes to a student that boards at the first stop. they will communicate with the driver if needed. The same in the afternoon, a student from the last stop gets the phone.

Mr. Scott, "because he drives a COOL BUS"
Go to Top of Page

wlanphier

5 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  7:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit wlanphier's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The use of any cell phone without a one button hands free device is illegal nationwide. In my district it is against policy for a driver to use a cell phone as it should be.
Go to Top of Page

wlanphier

5 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  7:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit wlanphier's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The district you work for could also be fined up to 10000.00.
Go to Top of Page

Farmridge

51 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  08:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ALL cell phone use in Georgia is banned while a school bus is in motion to include hands free.

If you can't handle the answer, don't ask the question
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  5:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Farmridge is correct. But, my boss gets mad if I don't answer it right away. Of course, I either have my aide answer, or have her call back on her phone.

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

RweThereYet

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  6:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our directors view is simple - turn it off before you get on board and back on when you get off. It's my bus; and, if you don't like it go get your own.
Get caught and you had better hope you didn't need the job benefits because you won't have them tomorrow.

quote:
Originally posted by tlbc

I am just checking to see what your school policy's are for the use of cell phones will driving a school bus. Are your drivers allowed to use them and what is punishment if they do. Also what is the punishment for texting will driving with students on.

Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  05:56:30 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
coolbuskid has it down to the details. I did a training seminar for our drivers, they were stunned. I know the law has been in effect for a while, now they have been offically notified in training.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Bus John

8 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  08:31:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just not a good idea overall. All it takes is one second away from the road to cause a serious accident.
Go to Top of Page

RweThereYet

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2016 :  2:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In our district / state if you want to find out what jailhouse living is like just get caught talking on your cellphone while driving with students on board and you'll find yourself answering a charge of Endangering the welfare of a Minor for each student on board - do the math . . . how many did you have onboard max at the time of the violation ?

Edited by - RweThereYet on 03/23/2016 2:31:00 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000