PA systems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  08:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if there have been studies done that show the benefits of having an interior PA system on school buses ? Such as the NHTSA or another large group?

Thanks

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  3:18:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How about this question, Do any states require a PA system on school buses ? If so, can someone provide proof of that ?
Go to Top of Page

BusCave

18 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  06:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusCave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 78fordwayne

How about this question, Do any states require a PA system on school buses ? If so, can someone provide proof of that ?

Delaware requires a PA system. It is the only state I know of with that requirement.

http://regulations.delaware.gov/AdminCode/title14/1100/1104.pdf

See page 16:

1.49 Public Address System:
1.49.1 There shall be installed a public address amplifier specifically designed for vehicular applications with a
minimum power output of not less than 5 watts sine wave power. Such system shall consist of an on off
switch, volume control, and an inside outside speaker selector switch. Additionally, it shall have an outside
speaker completely weather proofed a minimum 7 watt power capability and two interior dynamic speakers
with a minimum diameter of 4 inches. These speakers shall be located above the window line, to the rear
of the driver, and shall not project more than 1/2 inch from the interlining of the bus. There shall be no
sharp edges or corners that could cause injury to a passenger. The outside speaker on Type A and B
buses shall be located on the left front side of the bus forward of the front wheels. On Type C buses the
speaker shall be located in the engine compartment forward of the radiator or on the inside of the front
bumper on the left side. On Type D buses the speaker shall be located under the floor on the left side of
the bus between the front bumper and the left, front wheel.
Go to Top of Page

BusCave

18 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  06:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusCave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh. And also GSA requires PA's.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  4:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much !
Any one else find anything ?
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  7:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rhode Island requires PA systems too I believe, including front and rear exterior speakers.

I personally think they should be required in full size buses, but obviously that isn't the case. Cost is somewhere in the $250+ range for just a PA system with a couple of speakers. If you add PA system to an AM/FM radio it is even less. Exterior speaker would add a few bucks to that, but again, well worth it.

Edited by - RichBusman on 04/07/2013 7:53:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

BusCave

18 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  06:25:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusCave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichBusman

Rhode Island requires PA systems too I believe, including front and rear exterior speakers.

I personally think they should be required in full size buses, but obviously that isn't the case. Cost is somewhere in the $250+ range for just a PA system with a couple of speakers. If you add PA system to an AM/FM radio it is even less. Exterior speaker would add a few bucks to that, but again, well worth it.

You are correct. I don't know how I missed that one:

1. Every school bus placed in service after January 1, 1987 shall be equipped with a public address speaker sound system which shall be audible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of not less than fifty (50) feet simlutaneously in all directions from the center of the normal entrance door.
2. The vehicle shall have a minimum of one speaker mounted outside the passenger compartment and a minimum of one speaker mounted inside the bus. The speaker system shall be operable by the driver when seated in the normal driver's position.
Go to Top of Page

BusCave

18 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  06:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusCave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oregon too:

(30) Radios and Public Address Systems:
(a) Interior speakers mounted in the ceiling panels or side panels shall be either flush mounted or may protrude not more than 1 1/2 inches if the speaker housing is free of any corners or projections which can cause injury by striking with the head or in the event of a collision or rollover. Speakers protruding more than 1 1/2 inches may be mounted in the vertical end panels above the windshield or back windows as long as speakers are free of corners or projections which could cause injury.
(b) Speakers shall not be placed above any aisle.
(c) Buses purchased after November 1, 1985, shall be equipped with a public address system having interior and exterior speakers and a switch to separate from inside and outside.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  08:07:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
GREAT !!
Do you have links to these please ?

Edited by - 78fordwayne on 04/08/2013 08:45:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  11:27:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, I'd like to pose a question...distraction caused by the PA system. One of my buses was recently involved in a roll over crash. The investigation cited distraction from grabbing for the microphone as one key factor. The driver was on the PA when the bus left the roadway.

Anybody want to kick this one around?

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 04/08/2013 11:27:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

BusCave

18 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  12:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusCave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

GREAT !!

Oregon: http://www.ode.state.or.us/services/transportation/pdfs/minmimstandardsbuses.pdf

See page 51 of PDF

I can't seem to find a link to the RI spec right now.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  2:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BusCave

quote:

GREAT !!

Oregon: http://www.ode.state.or.us/services/transportation/pdfs/minmimstandardsbuses.pdf

See page 51 of PDF

I can't seem to find a link to the RI spec right now.

Thank you !
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  3:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like Idaho can be added to the list. Although its a state bid requirement

http://www.sde.idaho.gov/site/transportation/docs/basicBus/121107%20Basic%20Bus%20Conventional.pdf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000