Enter Forum: General Interest
 roof air conditioner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wheelsea

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  3:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit wheelsea's Homepage  Reply with Quote
converting a 88GMC school bus to serve as a church bus
have been seeing these low profile extra long air cond units on top of local school buses can anyone describe how they op ( as in engine driven compressor or by generator ) and how i might locate one to purchase as i havn't seen a thing on the internet about them please reply with any info it would be greatly appreciated
you can call me as well at 321 213 3002 melbourne florida
mark r.

also if you know of a after market system thats been used successfully on school buses i might go that way with a generator mounted underneath, the only problem i see is if i use an RV style roof unit i'll need two and i don't know if a generator could take a double compressor start up as if they would both cycle simulatanously it would create a huge load all at once??
i believe a engine driven compressor might be the answer but haven't a clue as to if theres one large enough to cool and entire 45 f00t bus!

RD9000

72 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  5:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a couple new bus a/c systems available that are worlds better than those of the past. The one you are in reference to is either a carrier unit or thermal king unit. The roof mounted equipment is your condensor unit if I am not mistaken. The compressors would be engine mounted, and the evaporator and squirrel cages would be inside the bus. However, any engine based a/c system does steal hp. Many old school buses don't have much hp to sacrifice, especially if you are planning alot of highway travel. In my opinion, your best bet for a church bus a/c retrofit is 2-3 15K btu roof mounted units with an rv style frame mounted generator. The preferable generators are water-cooled. One of the biggest problems with bus a/c systems is the length of hoses/lines. There is too much opportunity for leaks. You will often spend more money keeping the system in working order than you will replacing it with roof units and generator.
Go to Top of Page

RD9000

72 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  5:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my experience, most roof mounted a/c units need 3.5KW to operate. So, your generator will need to be 2-3x that capacity.
Go to Top of Page

wheelsea

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  11:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit wheelsea's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks a bunch i was thinking the roof way too as its all contained system install and turn on
sounds great any idea of the best generator that fits i had a generator once on the back of a motorhome and it would not run during travel only when parked??
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000