Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Allison 545
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

degeliaj

18 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  3:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit degeliaj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bus started making a deep clunk like a rod knock on route. Towed to shop, found broken flywheel. Replaced flywheel reinstalled tranny all seemed fine for about 500 yds. Tranny started slipping now will not engage any gear. Engine sounds fine, no whine from tranny, no check trans lite, no movement what so ever. I am kicking myself for not checking out the converter when I had it apart just got in a hurry, looking for suggestions, on what to look for when I take it back apart. 1999 444E coupled to Allison 545. All replies appreciated.

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  03:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is that converter wasn't clicked in all the way and it took out the front pump.
Go to Top of Page

degeliaj

18 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  05:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit degeliaj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is there a pressure check to verify pump operation while it is still on the bus?
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  07:03:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by degeliaj

Is there a pressure check to verify pump operation while it is still on the bus?

you could simply loosen the spin on filter and check for pump flow, if nothing there then there is no reason to test further.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

degeliaj

18 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  5:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit degeliaj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for the replies, talked to a couple of techs from a transmission and they told me how to do a pressure check (small pipe plug just in front of modulator)had no pressure, as Bassman said, pump is probably fried, around a $1000.00 and more floor and creeper time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000