New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  4:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

There is one of our 02' International/Corbeils (T444E Auto) in the shop with the "Check Trans" light illuminated on the dash. It comes on about 5 seconds after the engine is started. Horsepower loss is noticeable because of the light being on.

Fluid is brand new, screw on external filter was replaced, and internal filter replaced. The fluid level is at proper level.

The laptop won't shut off the light

Any ideas?

Edited by - 1983ChevroletWayne on 02/05/2013 08:10:56 AM

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  09:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Might sound stupid but check your alt had 3 or 4 do that to me with a alt going out but the gauge was reading correctly.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  12:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not stupid at all. We often have the first signs of alternator failure occur with the transmission. They must be the most sensitive component.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  12:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Also when ck trans light is on, depending on what trans you have, my 2000 and 2500pts Allison transmissions lock in whatever range they are in when light comes on, so feels like loss of HP because it won't shift.

Also chances are laptop won't shut light off, till problem causing light to come on is fixed. Laptop should be able to read a code, as a starting point for diagnosis.

Edited by - slippert on 02/05/2013 12:36:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  1:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great tips guys! I'll mention the alternator. We did find one code on the bus through the allison program. I believe it was "1209" (I could be mistaken). when clicked on, it shows a diagram of wiring from the engine ECM, transmission plug, and a 9 pin connector. The colored wires going from component to component on the diagram don't match up with the wires that we have. It shows a test lead to see if we have a signal through the system, but we can't find that lead anyplace.

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"

Edited by - 1983ChevroletWayne on 02/05/2013 1:06:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  2:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fixed!

We found a broken green wire going from the ECM harness to the transmission about two feet away from the ECM. Thanks for the help again guys!

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000