Diesel smell
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webegone

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  1:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a bus that was leaking diesel fuel into the antifreeze and circulating it through the heating system. The leak has been fixed and we have flushed the heating hoses several times, but there is still a real strong fuel smell in the bus. Any suggestions?

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  2:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably will have to change the hoses. I'm guessing the diesel has permeated them. I know we had a problem with silicone hoses and green antifreeze permeation five years ago - made the bus smell like rotting fish.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  2:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've tried flushing and waiting this out on 3-4 buses over the years to see if it goes away, and it hasn't yet. We also changed out the hoses.
Go to Top of Page

twinkiebusdriver

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  3:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That may explain why my bus used to smell like vomit. Interesting.

Formerly mlkdrives41
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  5:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twinkiebusdriver

That may explain why my bus used to smell like vomit. Interesting.

Interesting handle. Hope your twinkies find another home. I kind of like them. Ding Dongs are better though. LOL, couldn't resist!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  09:17:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe some of the spillage got into the wood floor? Check for mold, creatures live in diesel fuel. Life begins in diesel fuel when water is introduced.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 11/23/2012 09:21:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

wrench slinger

38 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  1:10:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we had several of our thomas saftliners do that we changed all the heater hoses, pain inthe
butt, but it's the only way the get rid of it
Go to Top of Page

offroadwolf1

33 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  09:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have ran into this a lot over the years. I havent ever changed all the heater hoses to cure it, seemed like too much work. I run powered laundry soap and water through the cooling system. Then flush it it with only water. Takes a little while but its the best cure Ive found. If you have a water filter on the engine bypass it first. Another solution is the cooling system flush from penray, stuff is great but it is aggressive and if you have any weak hoses you will find them when your done. The penray flush had a second step to nutralized the cleaner, you cant leave the stuff in overnight, it will eat through stuff.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  11:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would this Penray flush be better than the off-line cleaner system you're talking about?

http://www.penray.com/products/products.asp?x=1&y=302&y3=308&y4=582&articlesource=582

Looks like just what the doctor ordered...

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

offroadwolf1

33 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  1:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I have tried their other cleaners and they are no where near as effective as the off line cleaner. If the system is really full of oil the off line is the best product. It's best to remove the thermostat and pour in the cleaner, get it hot and run it for about an hour. Then drain it and run the second bottle to nuetralize the cleaner. I have tried the on line cleaner also, no success with it either.
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  08:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You need to replace the hoses and I mean all the hoses. Diesel will break down the rubber causing eventual failures. If its soaked through to where your smelling it it way to late.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000