General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 Weird Corbeil Bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bbvision12

43 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  05:53:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbvision12's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What exactly is this? I've never seen a Corbeil RE before, let alone one on this weird chassis/body style.

http://www.schoolbusdriver.org/thomas_school_bus%20canada.jpg

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  06:22:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks like a Thomas Transit Liner with a Corbeil logo.

http://www.bargainbusnews.com/Buses/2597-1998ThomasThomas/

I know Corbeil had some type of arrangement with Thomas for a while, including buying a lot of Thomas parts for their own buses. Maybe this was sold through Corbeil's dealer, or maybe they had some part in assembling it?
Go to Top of Page

bbvision12

43 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  09:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbvision12's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I heard about that agreement, so tbat makes sense for the chassis. Thanks! I wonder about the body style more though. It looks like a transit bus!

I thought that Corbeil had a deal with International, though, that let them use the International chassises for Canadian sales by Corbeil. Didn't Carpenter also have some involvement with Corbeil?

Apparently, Corbeil was raised by three, one who has now passed, bus companies. Why did so many companies seem to focus on Corbeil? For a good share of the Canadian market?

I would be very thankful if someone knew the answers to these questions.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  12:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The Carpenter deal was just for distribution, Corbeil sold their Type A buses through Carpenter's dealer network in the US. That's why so many Corbeil minis have the Carpenter or Crown-by-Carpenter logo. The deal with International was to supply chassis for Corbeil's own bodies. They made FE and RE school buses on the International 3000 chassis, which sort of resemble the AmTran RE and Genesis designs. The downside to this agreement was that they weren't allowed to sell conventionals in the US market (International wanted to limit them from competing with AmTran).

I'd guess the bus you posted was a Thomas transit that Corbeil sold (or took on trade and re-sold) and put their logo on. It's also possible that a Canadian operator bought a Thomas and put the smiley face logo on it because they liked the looks.

The Transit Liner was based on Thomas' school bus line, but designed to be used in transit service. It's possible that this one was re-painted yellow and had warning lights retrofitted, which could also explain why it has the Corbeil logo. That's just speculation, tho.
Go to Top of Page

bbvision12

43 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  1:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbvision12's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

I'm relatively new to the wonderful world of school buses, and barely know about Corbeil, or some of the smaller past companies, such as the defunct Type A companies.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000