New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  12:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of such a thing, yet there it is as a maintenance item every 3rd or 4th oil change interval.

Is that the draft tube filter? Or?

Anybody changed one yet?

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  12:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
air compressor filter?

That is what it looks like at grainger, lol

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=Coalescing+Filter&op=search&Ntt=Coalescing+Filter&N=0&sst=subset
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  12:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If it's 07 emission or newer it's probably in what use to be the road draft tube,if it's not it probably doesn't have one. I believe Cummins uses a closed system on the 07 and up emission engines putting the vapors that use to come out the breather or road draft tube back in the crankcase. I think most of the engine manufactures had to do the same to meet Fed standards. Maintenance should be yearly or every 1500 hrs

Edited by - slippert on 10/25/2011 12:59:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  2:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is the filter for the closed crank gas recirculation system circa EPA '07 & newer. It is located in the big bump on top of the valve cover.
p/n CV52001
Cummins #4936636

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  12:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good info, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  6:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Details I found most helpful.

FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001 The CV52001 FLEETGUARD Crankcase Ventilation Filter is a High efficiency crankcase aerosol filter designed to provide superior engine and environmental protection from crankcase blow by. The 2007.5 to current model Cummins 6.7 liter engines have this FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001.

The FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001 is located on top of the valve cover assembly and under the dress cover. The factory suggested change interval for the FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001 is 67,500 miles or when the overhead message appears. Most owners of the Cummins 6.7L now know that changing the FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001 at a lower service interval is money well spent. The Fleetguard Cummins Filter breather CV52001 is a required service item on the 2011+ Ford F-550 and F-650. This Fleetguard CV52001 - CUMMINS:OCV / Crankcase Ventilation Kit / Breather Assembly is the one used on the Cummins ISB Engines. Because the FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001 breather tube is located next to the turbo inlet we recommend shorter change intervals. A shorter change interval of the FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001 will help minimize oil vapor coating the turbo compressor wheel. Chrysler recommends the FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001 be changed when a message on your overhead console alerts you that the Crankcase Vent filter is now clogged. In the 2007.5 Cummins 6.7L diesel has a new emissions system which no longer vents crankcase gasses to the atmosphere.With the new 6.7L emissions systems they've switched to a CCV or Closed Crankcase Ventilation system which contains a FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001.The CCV system dumps the crankcase gasses into your turbo inlet post air filter which causes an oily buildup on the turbo compressor wheel. If the FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001 filter becomes plugged crankcase blow-by is higher than normal these gasses can now coat the inside of the intercooler which lowers it's efficiency. By changing the FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001 as a part of your regular preventive maintenance you will save time, money and allot of aggravation. How to change the FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001 1.) Pop the hood and remove the 4 cap screws holding the front cover in place. Then remove the oil dip stick (Careful not to brush it up against anything) and then remove the front cover. Replace the dip stick. 2.) Now remove the 8 cap screws holding the FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001 cover in place. (Remember that the back one on the left has a cable attached to it. To get that out of your way just pull up on the tie. 3.) Once the 8 cap screws are removed, clean around the oil filler cap, then remove it and lift the cover up and move it out of the way to the left. Reinstall the filler cap. 4.) Now lift up on the FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001 and remove it. 5.) Installation of the FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001 is just a reverse of the process. Remember to tighten the cap screws in a star pattern like you do a wheel and not too tight. There isn't a torque spec but when you remove them you'll notice that they aren't very tight. FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001 CROSS REFERENCE:

Mopar 68002433AB
Cummins 4936636

FLEETGUARD 6.7L Cummins Crank Case Vent Filter CV52001

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  08:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought enough to do all six of my 6.7 engines. Through the International dealer they were on sale for $66.88/each (regularly $114!).

Had second thoughts, third thoughts, forth thoughts, but went ahead and did it to all, even the ones that are only a year old.

5 of those things were FULL of oil. I mean FULL. Like really nasty. Anybody know if that is "normal"? Given how expensive that turbo is, and how in Ohio we keep buses for 14,000 years, I am thinking that it's a good investment to replace filters annually.

Agree or disagree?
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  10:01:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree. Filter fills up much sooner than either the recommended service interval or when the fault code trips for crankcase pressure on school bus applications. Looks like your turbo is failing. We'll be doing them on annuals from now on.

Seems like the emissions system engineers think their engines are only used in OTR-type duty cycles. Case in point - the regen programming on my ISC-07's.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  12:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really thinking those turbos are going? At least it's warranty (for now)
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  3:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it probably is prolonging the turbo life, keeping them nice and lubricated internally. (HA!) What I was trying to say in my post is that it visually looks like an internal turbo seal failure when you see the oil on the turbo outlet hose.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000