Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Spicer 5 speed manual
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rick lohrey

27 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  12:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit rick lohrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It seems the spicer has been around for a while. Are they desirable?
To be more specific, how about this: 1997 INTERNATIONAL 3800 SCHOOL BUS POWERED BY A DT466E DIESEL ENGINE WITH A 5 SPEED SPICER MANUAL TRANSMISSION. This is one of two buses in Moscow Mills, Mo.

Too bad there isn't a website on school district's bus auctions by bus maint personel. That would get the truth up front!

I don't want to cause trouble in this forum, so if I'm out of line, please just say so. You are the ones with the knowlege..I don't want to waste your time.

Thanks,

Rick

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  12:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a 5 speed Spicer on a 1986 7.3L that was darn near bulletproof. If we made it a requirement to only hire folks that knew how to drive standard transmission vehicles, I'm pretty sure I never would have had an issue with it. Had to do a clutch about every 300,000 otr miles or so- but again, I feel the same driver on it all the time or just ones that knew what they were doing would have made it last even longer.

I got rid of the truck at 750,000 miles and the original trans was still going good and strong.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with anything newer than that. Hope that helps some. :)

Edited by - eddo on 09/12/2011 12:45:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2011 :  04:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the best thing that ever happened was automatic transmissions. We were replacing clutches all the time when we had our standard 5 speeds. We haven't had any major problems with the automatics but we are in northern Oklahoma and it's pretty flat.
Go to Top of Page

rick lohrey

27 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2011 :  3:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit rick lohrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response. I've dealt with manual trans all my life and prefer them in some vehicles. I agree the 'operator' has major influence on longevity of any vehicle. I live in NE Tx and we have minor 'hills' here and with an operator aware of how manual(clutch) trans perform, there would be no problem. Like riding the brakes, never a good thing. I also agree that automatic trans are the best in normal, or average driving and some trans are good and others are trash.
I'm learning every post, thanks to you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000