Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 CE300/200 steering stem bearings?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  6:31:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are starting to see a number of lower steering shaft bearings falling apart on the 2008 and newer busses. Being in a salt state the whole bottom of the shaft is corroding ,rotting out the seal on the bearing until it starts jamming and breaking up. I consider this a serious issue that could be solved by getting a boot over the shaft like the older navistar vehicles had. Has anybody had similar thoughts or fixes. The bearings are just a few bucks and we pack them with grease when they get replaced .

Edited by - mastertech on 06/04/2011 8:57:21 PM

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  5:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Huh? Except for an '87 piece of crap GMC, we've been buying Internationals since 1961 and I have never had to replace a steering shaft U joint. They all come through with grease fittings on them.

Maine is definitely a salt state!

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  8:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats great that you have not had ujoints fail but I am talking about the sealed ball bearing on the lower end the of the steering column that supports the shaft.

Edited by - mastertech on 06/04/2011 8:58:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  2:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have been buying the 10K front ends since the early 90s and all of those steering gears come through with a grease fitting for the output shaft bearing and seal. One pump of lube at each service interval is all they need.
I have never replaced either the seal or the bearing on any of these.

I'm assuming you have power steering.

What is your steering gear code?

Edited by - IBTMech on 06/09/2011 2:50:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  7:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find it odd that nobody else had had issues. We have had 100percent failures of the lower column bearings and changed them all out. You dont have to buy a new column or anything but they are a PITA to remove . Just pull the shaft and lock the steering wheel from moving as you will break the clock spring if it turns. Then get a small grinding carbide bit and grind the races till they can be pulled out. Tap in a new packed bearing ,install the snap ring and good for a few more years.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  04:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just had our first lower column bearing fail as you described, but we have tilt columns and they only sell it as a unit. So we had to replace the entire tilt assembly. I just described it on another thread on here. Our failure was on an 06 and we have 22 buses of that design which are 05-06. Was yours a tilt mechanism or a regular column?
Go to Top of Page

mech19

6 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  10:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit mech19's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's easier to grind out the damaged bearing, as you stated Mastertech. It's way too expensive to replace the whole column. Matched up a bearing locally. And yes, we see these problems in the road salt region. I believe a boot would have prevented this near-recall.
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  3:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The bearing number is 6905rs. You can get them off ebay for next to nothing but I would for sure pry the seals off and pack them with waterproof grease. One other thing I tried was mig welding a couple of small bolts to the races and pulling them out with a puller. The die grinder has worked the best and you dont have to take the column out of the bus but it is easier. Removing the fender makes it much easier.
I think we got the project down well under and hour .
Go to Top of Page

Schoolbus56

United States
128 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  4:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been noticing that on one of my 2008's I was wondering what the fix was.

wow.
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  05:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have this problem also. same bearing 6905 is used for our 02 IC buses. haven't seen it happening in our 05-06's yet.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  3:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess I've misunderstood the location of the bearing failure. Well I'll blame it on over 60 disease. As far as the lower COLUMN bearing, I haven't had one fail yet. Our fleet is mostly IH from '81 up including buses, Public Works and Fire Dept.

Edited by - IBTMech on 09/18/2012 3:12:38 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000