New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  08:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are still "making oil" in our 07 emissions MaxxForce DT engines. All 10 our buses are experiencing this problem, but 4 in particular are building 2 inches on the dipstick in a week! Has anyone had any successes with IH to report to us with regards to repairing this issue? Thanks. Tom

Schoolbus56

United States
128 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  08:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im also having this problem on one of our 2009 MF DT no, solution yet.

wow.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  09:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had one of my 08's back in January that went in for fuel in oil almost 2in over full on dipstick it took dealer along time to convince warranty that the engine had an injector problem if you have Isis look up 8B655326 last warranty repair. Warranty had them replace a lot of other parts and take pics of dpf before they would let them install injectors. and as of today that bus has not manufactured any extra oil since. the other 08's we have here so far have never had any problems with extra oil yet. these buses all have the Maxxforce DT's in them. and the one that was making oil has not quite 100,000 miles on it. the other 3 are any where from 56,000 to 80'000 miles. can't say that we have had the problems with dosing systems that it sounds like others have had, but these buses are all running special needs routes and get longer times at highway speed and fewer stop and go's.
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  12:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a heads up with issues with our 5 maxforce dt engines, find the manual that came with your buses and call the number in the book for customer support and file a complaint. Had my director do this and within 2 or 3 days some higher ups called to schedule a appointment within a month 5 IC corp higher ups were at my place in a meeting.One of them was the main guy with the engine group. Long story short of the meeting was no extended warranty was given other than we buy it and the new programing was the fix for oil building.... well ours were re-programed oil changed and there still building but got more business cards out of the ordeal and told the fuel dilution wasn't doing any damage to the engine.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  2:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quote by willism: "and told the fuel dilution wasn't doing any damage to the engine". That is BS!!!! If you get fuel in the oil it changes the chemical make up of the oil and lubricity will be compromised!! Weather or not these things are under warranty or not don't accept that as an answer. If these things last past the covered period you will be buying parts from them to repair it. Think about it, fuel in oil acceptable= no warranty cost if it goes beyond covered period. When the engine does go out= part$ $ale$!!! Sounds like a win, win or IC to me.

I don't trust any of these company guys (IC, Cummins, BB, Thomas or IC. Get you a good dealer who will go to the mat for you and you will have it in the bag. If your dealer is crap then your in trouble.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  2:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what I may be doing right (or wrong) but none of our 6 Maxxforce DTs are building oil. They're not consuming it either.

Running Mobil Delvac 1300 in all units.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

astar59

United States
1 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  03:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit astar59's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our 2009 model year buses are "making oil" because of fuel dilution. We've done some oil analysis and have found more than 10% fuel dilution! IC Service Rep says up to 8% is fine, eventhough oil lab flags CRITICAL at 7%.
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  04:45:05 AM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Boy this all makes me appreciate my older buses more and more.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  5:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C.HARDY

Boy this all makes me appreciate my older buses more and more.

Me too!! Glad to have started on propane too!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  07:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bwest problem I have is a good 2 yrs ago or so we had one of them tow'd up couple days later called and said it was done. Got up there and the work order said no problem found for the tune of 400 dollars noticed when we got back there was fresh flat black paint on the right rear of the bumper. Pulled the video and watched them pushing it in with a fork lift so that's the kind of service we get from our local IC place. Only place so far we have had luck with is our local cummins place so far no issues....

astar59 about the fuel dilution the reps and warranty people started changing there tune with us and saying it doesn't matter what dilution you have but what the viscosity level is at not sure if anyone else is getting that changed on them all of a sudden.

Also on a side note on our 6 maxforce engines has anyone noticed the fuel filters getting very heavy and black? Ive asked the question with the IC guys and one sketchy answer was something about the temp changing something which didn't make any sense to me and its just the 6 maxforce engines doing that just something we have noticed.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  08:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your fuel filters are turning black maybe you have motor oil mixing in with your fuel? If its a DT, maybe injector O rings?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  09:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The black on the filters looks to me like soot very fine particles but making the fuel filter very heavy about double the weight compared to a fresh filter a few days old after a oil change... checked it that way to see the difference. Also one thing that stopped IC from working on our 6 maxforce issues for a while is they had us do algae tests and show them the results and get the spec's for our oil change intervals and all that which we were in compliance.
Go to Top of Page

80 grit

United States
47 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  8:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 4 and all of them are making oil. 6% dilution at 3000 miles and viscosity down to 20 wt.. One went to the truck dealer for this and they replaced all 6 injectors. It got towed in last week as it quit on the road from a lack of ICP. It was at least an inch overfull again. I am seeing black filters also.
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  09:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have 10 2010 IC buses with Maxforce DT engines. All are blackening the fuel filters.
Go to Top of Page

80 grit

United States
47 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  7:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like soot in ours, the filters are pearly white on the inside when we take them out. I've heard that the ISX Cummins do it also.
Go to Top of Page

KDBOUT5

1 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  07:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit KDBOUT5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have experienced this on many. Fuel transfer pump leaks at the shaft into the crankcase.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  3:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Serviced our one '11 IC DT today and the oil level was right on the money beforehand and the fuel filter appeared normal..... an amber color..... for 6K miles. None of our earlier Maxxforce buses have shown any abnormal fuel filter colors or oil levels.

We have one unit with a bad driver but that's not covered under the warranty......... unfortunately.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 05/09/2011 3:45:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  1:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update on one of the oil builders we recently sent up that died on a trip. Changed all 6 injectors #5 injector replaced twice after the hold down bolt broke off in the head.
Go to Top of Page

Schoolbus56

United States
128 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2011 :  3:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we sent our fuel in oil issue to get fixed..... New Inj pump and new Injectors.. so we shall see...

wow.
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2011 :  12:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New issue I had last night with one of the 2008 maxforce dt's. Bus died on the driver went out there had good crank but wouldn't fire. Had to sit with it waiting on the tow truck cause the neighborhood kids decided to play basketball over the bus... so tried it 3 or 4 times again still no start towed it up to our IC place. Got a call today bus started fine and runs good no codes other than a voltage from what the service writer said. Also last year during summer school did the same exact thing and the tow fixed it. Would have got my laptop out and checked oil pressures and that but waiting on my tech dept to fix that still.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2011 :  4:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willism

New issue I had last night with one of the 2008 maxforce dt's. Bus died on the driver went out there had good crank but wouldn't fire. Had to sit with it waiting on the tow truck cause the neighborhood kids decided to play basketball over the bus... so tried it 3 or 4 times again still no start towed it up to our IC place. Got a call today bus started fine and runs good no codes other than a voltage from what the service writer said. Also last year during summer school did the same exact thing and the tow fixed it. Would have got my laptop out and checked oil pressures and that but waiting on my tech dept to fix that still.

Dratt!!!!! I hate it when that happends!!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  05:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willism

I had an 08 with same engine doing about the same as what yours,was taken to dealer many times, The last time it happened the bus drove into garage running fine late afternoon for preventative maintenance, sat in garage overnight, the next morning engine would crank but not start-up?

I ck'd and tested-

pressures and voltages, all ck'd good, no codes, etc

Long story short took a new ICP sensor to get bus running, bus started right up and has been running great ever since. don't know why it went out setting in garage? but at least it didn't have to be towed.
That was an experience I had, don't know if it helps you?

Edited by - slippert on 05/26/2011 05:29:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

80 grit

United States
47 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  7:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cam sensor failing can cause those symptoms also.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  06:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 80 grit

The cam sensor failing can cause those symptoms also.

Your right, the strange thing here at my district is we have 40 buses doing special needs transport, buses get anywhere from 30,000 - 50,000 miles per yr put on them. so my 5yr old buses have close to 200,000 miles on them.

I haven't had a bad cam sensor yet, on a 2005 or newer IC bus. Maybe I've been lucky? one of the few engine sensors on the 05's and up, that have held up good, LOL.()

Now the 04 and older are a different story, I have had to change a lot of cam sensors on those

Edited by - slippert on 05/27/2011 10:37:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2011 :  02:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had no cam position sensor failures on MaxxForce DT or on VT365. We have had to change 3 ICP sensors on our MaxxForce DT's becuase they intermittently stall at idle. I would check codes on your bus. Sounds like it could have a bad electrical connection.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000