New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  10:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have problems with the 6.7 engine loosing coolant. I think this one blew the freeze plugs in the head. The oil is overfull also. I had a customer tell me that his did the same thing and it was leaking coolant into his oil. He said they had to replace freeze plugs in the head. It's warranty so I have to wait and see if they will cover towing I put the driver in a temp and left it parked for now.

Edited by - Wolf0r on 12/21/2012 6:01:40 PM

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  1:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was told by my Cummins rep to make sure we bleed the air out of the EGR cooler to keep from burning out the cooler, and getting coolant into the engine. He claimed this happens a lot on buses. He advised the use of a coolant dam to suck the coolant back in through the radiator drain to make sure all the air was out of the system.
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  4:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Something like this happened to an '08 EF of ours. Check engine light was on and the mechanic found that there was oil in the crankcase. I think another driver told me that the head gasket was replaced. Or maybe there was a miscommunication and it actually was freeze plugs....

But, no, it's not just you having problems with it! Other than that one and another EF's engine computer memory getting erased, our 6.7s have been solid. If only the same could be said of EFs' electrical systems....
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  06:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to have to get schooled on these newer engines soon. I heard of a bypass tube that you can add on that helps prevent this from the Dodge boys.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  1:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cummins said it was a freeze plug in the head came out. Warranty took care of it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  06:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just had another bus that belongs to a customer do the same thing. 2 gallons of coolant lost into the crankcase. There is nothing on the internet that I can find on this issue. Anyone else have this happen?

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  5:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bam! Here we go again. Just outta warranty too.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bcressey

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  5:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit bcressey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wolf...IF it is out of warranty and it is an 07, remove rocker lever cover. Pressurize coolant system. The bad plug will bubble. Replace leaking head cup plug. Change breather filter, oil and oil filter. If it were me, I'd do all 11 plugs. Use the stainless ones. You will never have a problem with them again. Be careful when taking them out. If you want to talk before doing them call us Weds. Merry Xmas!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2012 :  2:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bcressey

Wolf...IF it is out of warranty and it is an 07, remove rocker lever cover. Pressurize coolant system. The bad plug will bubble. Replace leaking head cup plug. Change breather filter, oil and oil filter. If it were me, I'd do all 11 plugs. Use the stainless ones. You will never have a problem with them again. Be careful when taking them out. If you want to talk before doing them call us Weds. Merry Xmas!

I don't get to do this one. I have 1/2 the fleet in here servicing them anyway. Cummins said they will do this one under warranty. I mentioned to the boss about replacing all the plugs. Cummins is going to change the rest of them as well. We just have to pay a little out of pocket for the extra labor. I was told though this will probably be the last one done under warranty so I should get to do the next one. Thanks for the offer though I will be calling when the next one breaks.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2014 :  10:02:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that I’ve got a 6.7 with a blown plug in a late 2009 C2 with 38K. I’ve got coolant in the oil but my coolant tank is dry with no signs of oil in it, so does that rule out a bad oil cooler?

This bus was bought used back in January and I haven’t had my hands on it that much, but when trying to locate the source of the leak which brought this problem to my attention I noticed that the clamp connecting the elbow pipe to the turbo is tight but the elbow pipe is still moveable and that is where my oily mist is coming from when running.

Once the new parts are in and the oil and filters are changed, is there any other cleanup I need to do to get rid of the oily mist from the turbo pipe, or will time and heat take care of that on it’s own?

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000