Driver in bus crash says truth will come out
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  11:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Driver in Gadsden School Bus Crash Speaks Out

A deadly school bus crash claimed the life of a Gadsden County student five months ago. We've heard from victims, parents and the school board, but not the driver, until now.

Reporter: Deneige Broom

Aug 17, 2010
WCTV NEWS
Timothy Kelly says he's grateful to be back at home with his family after five months of hospitals and rehabilitation.

While he's working through his physical limitations, he can't help but think about how it happened.

The March scene where a school bus crashed into a tree along County Road 269 in Gadsden County, stunned those who saw it.

The bus carrying almost 50 students ran off the road, into a tree, killing 17-year-old Dee-Dee Murray and injuring several others. [Related Story]

The bus driver, Timothy Kelly, was in a coma for weeks afterward and put on paid suspension.

While there aren't many reminders left along the highway, it's something Kelly says he thinks about everyday.

"It's been hard you know, leaving home one way and coming home in a different way," said Kelly.

He returned home about two weeks ago in a different set of wheels.

He now relies on his family while recovering from a broken hip and crushed legs and remaining wheelchair bound.

Two hospitals and two rehabilitation centers later, he's rebuilding his body and working to restore the emotional scars left by the crash.

"It still hurts because I love my kids on my bus, they can all tell you that I'd do anything for them. It's just hard to see and to imagine that everything has taken place," said Kelly.

Since March, speculation and allegations have surrounded the accident and whether Kelly should've been behind the wheel in the first place.

He's says the safety of his students was always his first priority and he's tuning out his critics.

"What has been said or whatever, it doesn't matter because I know the truth and God is my witness about the situation. The truth will come out."

Kelly said he can't comment on any of those allegations about how or why the accident occurred because the Florida Highway Patrol is still investigating.

Click Here for full story

A Few Comments from the story's comment area:

Posted by: willie c Location: chatt..fl. on Aug 18, 2010 at 01:45 PM
Kelly ,,should not have been driving the bus to begin with ,,,,no matter how much some of you like him... B/S to what you all are saying --he could of said ---I'm sorry for what happen... this man is a jerk,,,not the goodie two shoes you think he is..

Posted by: ConfusedinGadsden Location: Havana on Aug 18, 2010 at 08:12 AM
I believe Mr. Kelly has been terminated from the Gadsden County School Board. Regardless of how it happened, it happened. The life that was lost will never return. The injuries to the other kids will never be forgotten. Mr. Kelly needs a reality check. Must be the pain meds.

Posted by: Citizen Location: Quincy on Aug 18, 2010 at 09:09 AM
Dear Mr Kelly do not doubt for one moment the number of people that love you. You are one of those people that went to work everyday and made a differnce in each childs life you touched. I have never met you, but was very inspired by the children and what they wrote about you. They all think you hang the moon.

Posted by: Cheerleader Location: Quincy on Aug 17, 2010 at 06:55 PM
Welcome back Mr Kelly. Thank-you for all you do. Those children love you. They were quick to come to your defense. They have great passion for you. That is nice to see in the education system. You are an inspiration. Thank-you for all you have done for this community and its kids. I understand the buses have seat belts now. Glad to hear of the progress. I wish you well and a speedy recovery. Those children all love you a lot and it was very clear. We need more people like you in the world. Keep spreading your sunshine.

Seat Belts on School Buses - One District's Experience
Click Here for Video Report | Backup Link - Includes other bus safety related vidieos and may work better on older PC's

Edited by - JK on 08/18/2010 10:26:10 PM
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000