Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Genesis Front Window Defroster...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dirtygoat

5 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  5:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtygoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone... My names Luey...

Sorry for the newbie question...

I just bought a 1993 Genesis 16+2, this is my first bus... I am wanting to remove the heaters in the back... I'm looking at the heater behind the drivers seat and see a square duct that goes toward the front and stops just at the seat pedestal... It has a vent that blows under the seat, but I can't tell if it routes further and covers the task of defrosting the windows...

I'm assuming that the big heater by the door defrosts the passenger side windshield... I could be wrong...

Could someone help me out with this???

Thanks...

Here's a picture of the bus... If it helps...

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  04:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If its like our later IC FE buses the heater by the step well does all the windshield defrosting and the unit behind the drivers seat is just a heater for the driver.

Our FEs have lots of rear overhang and 100 gallon rear fuel tanks and still don't have enough weight on the rear axle for good winter traction, your bus looks like it would be helpless in any low traction situation.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

dirtygoat

5 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  12:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtygoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply... I'm gonna start tearing out the heaters today...

My bus has auto tire chains, so hopefully that will keep me moving...
Go to Top of Page

dirtygoat

5 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  2:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtygoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll post this info here so others that might be looking for it can use this as a resource...

So, I'm trying to remove the heaters... From what I've found they don't put off a lot of heat(compared to the space they take up) and the extra cooling they provide for the engine(minimal) hasn't been a problem for others when removed... Kinda crazy the way they routed this...

The heater hoses coming from the engine both have valves... This one goes to the big heater by the front door...

From there it shoots over to the drivers side and goes to the box behind the seat...

It runs almost the length of the bus inside to this box...

Then under and across to this one by the lift...

It backtracks going threw the two previous boxes and makes its way back to the front to this valve...

Then back to the engine...

I'm going to loop the one coming from the front box into the last valve and pull the rest out... The last thing I want is for a heater hose to spring a leak and have coolant inside the bus...
Go to Top of Page

JC_Theriault

114 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  5:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit JC_Theriault's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The hose routing makes perfect sense, especially the long return run being on the same side as the hot coolant. There isn't any reason for the added costs of building another steel enclosure to contain the line on the other side of the bus. Plus this keeps most of the hoses inside the bus and away from road debris, etc.
Go to Top of Page

dirtygoat

5 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  5:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtygoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, the lines drop threw the floor behind the rear tire to go to the last box... That puts them in harms way from anything coming off the tires on the drive side...

They also run threw the fuse panel next to the drivers seat... If it sprung a leak in there it could do a lot of damage...

The biggest portion that runs inside the bus is in between the front and rear tires...

I agree, it makes perfect since to run them side by side for ease of installation...

I'm converting this into an RV, so they have to go...
Go to Top of Page

JC_Theriault

114 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  6:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit JC_Theriault's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats a reason most operators only spec underseat heaters on the driver's side, to avoid that crossover issue. I don't see too many Thomas or Blue Bird buses with right side rear heaters, unless like yours, a wheelchair bus.
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  06:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised there arent any shields or covers on those hoses.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

dirtygoat

5 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  12:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtygoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There were shields on the hoses running inside the bus... I took them off to figure out what I needed to do to pull the system...

Or are you talking about the hoses running on the outside???
Go to Top of Page

ddpartybus

5 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  4:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit ddpartybus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Dirtygoat, i have the same bus, just a 40'er - would you be interested in getting rid of the rear heater? i need a new fan blade for one of the motors. mine came a bit loose and the blades hit the shroud and broke it! I would be interested in seeing what we could work out if your did not end up using it. We live in the Twin Cities, MN

Thanks!
Jeff

DDPartyBus.com
"you do the partying, we'll do the driving!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000