2000 Amtran wit a T444e Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  2:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a contractor and have to replace my bus for this new contract. Can any of you guys give me some insight on the 2000 Amtran has a 444 in it.

It has juice brakes insted of air so I wonder about that as well?

How well does the 444 stand up service wise?

Thanks

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  4:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Depends on whether it came from a state that used chemicals on the roads in winter as to whether or not it is worth anything at this point. The engine may have a lot of life left in it and trans, too. The rust will eat up brake lines on that brake system, and everything else under the bus. Look good before you leap!

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  6:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it came out of South Dakota. One of the corporation mechanics said that the 444's are junk said they just replaced all of what they had left.? I'm in Indiana and he said you will go through brakes alot more then air brakes. Any more input greatly appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  6:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yep, you will go through more brakes for sure. I assume that it has 4 wheel disc.
Still, I have no idea if SD uses chemicals to control snow and ice. Look under the bus very closely to see how much rust you do have.

That would be my real concern besides the engine and trans at this point. If it is running and no indication of major leaks, or problems I wouldn't be afraid to purchase it, IF it wasn't rusted out and if I wasn't trying to put 200k a year on it. Those engines have some weaknesses just as all of them do, but the ones I have been around did well compared to some of the other v-8 offerings that IC has. I, for one, really do not like diesel v-8 engines. I would not spec them, I would spec away from them in fact.

If the bus is in your price range, you know what you will expect as far as mileage, you have to consider the life cycle cost to you.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  05:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have seven 444s and they have been good to us.

Personally, if I had a choice between an International bus with V8 and air brakes or a 6 cylinder with hydraulic I would take the air brake bus.

For your 2000 bus, rust is the deciding factor, your dream powertrain and brake setup won't mean squat if the bus is a rust bucket. I would look very carefully, especially if the bus has been operated in a metro area such as Sioux Falls.........

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  12:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Other than injectors or an occasional turbo issue a T444E gets better with age. Ours were junk until after 150k miles and we got all the electronic bugs out. With hydraulic brakes you will be fine unless you stop everyother driveway. Just make sure there is no rust on the steel lines. Most of ours are hydraulic but I think in the long run air would be the best way to go with outboard drums. Just my two cents

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  12:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many miles on the bus? Other than injectors or an occasional turbo issue a T444E gets better with age. Ours were junk until after 150k miles and we got all the electronic bugs out. With hydraulic brakes you will be fine unless you stop everyother driveway. Just make sure there is no rust on the steel lines. Most of ours are hydraulic but I think in the long run air would be the best way to go with outboard drums. Just my two cents

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  2:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whats the other choice? 444e is fine but Amtran? Ewwwwwwwwww. You should shop around man. Call my boss 812-874-2216 We will be selling off some of our route buses soon.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 07/23/2010 2:49:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  9:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it has around 85 k miles on it. Yea not to fond of the Amtran as well.. Always been a BB or Thomas guy.. So far do not see alot of rust, Im going Monday to inspect it.

Thanks for the opinions and help.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  10:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Make sure you get an accurate mileage reading from a computer. You can't fully rely on those International dash clusters to be 100% accurate.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2010 :  1:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For the love of god stay away from AmTran REs with T444Es and AT545s ! It has to be the most unreliable bus ever built.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2010 :  3:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We run a large number of RE buses with the T444E and have had good luck. Every engine has it's quirks but we've been lucky up to this point with them.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2010 :  6:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its a great engine as long as its in the front of a bus :)
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2010 :  7:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There's an AmTran RE with a 444/545 sitting in my driveway with Camper plates. It runs great, and it's the most powerful bus I've driven with that combo (even at a rated 190 hp). But from what I've seen, mine is in the minority...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000