Arkansas child falls out of school bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  07:59:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Arkansas child falls out of school bus

Apr 03, 2010
KSLA/The Associated Press

LITTLE ROCK, AK – Authorities say an eight year old boy opened the emergency door of a school bus and fell out.

Arkansas police say, Malik Lewis had just boarded the bus Thursday morning on April 1 when he yelled for his mother. He then dashed to the back of the bus, opened the rear emergency door, fell out and hit his head on the pavement.

Malik suffered a severe head injury and was taken to Arkansas Children's Hospital where he was pronounced deceased at approximately 3:15 Friday afternoon.

Click Here for source

2009 School Bus Related Deaths - A useful document when wanting a quick reference to deaths while discussing bus stop safety and when looking at updating school bus safety policies. Click Here for Link
(See Post #10)

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  12:08:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sad, but sometimes when they open that door and the driver cannot react fast enough to prevent a tragedy. Even if you stopped quickly , that might be enough of a push to propel them out the door.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Dave

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  3:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reason #5 for seatbelts on school buses. Amen to you coolbusdriver, even the best of us have to take our eyes off the children and cheak the road sometimes.

Shiny side up

Greasy side down
Go to Top of Page

Former School Bus M8

143 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  10:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always wondered why that handle had very little protection over it. I remember when i was in high school we had a problem with students pulling several false alarms in a short period of time. The school put these plastic covers over the pull stations which buzzed before you could pull the actual fire alarm. I always thought they should put some kind of similar protective cover over those back emergency door handles.

School Bus M8
Go to Top of Page

NathanW
Advanced Member

United States
313 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  06:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr Dave, By the sound of the article the child never even sat down. A seatbelt wouldn't have been any use at this time.

Nathan--Driver Extraordinaire
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  3:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As far as we can tell, this bus may not have even been moving. It doesn't take much for a head injury to kill. How sad.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Dave

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  6:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are absolutly correct Nathan, in this case it seems to have all happened at the bus stop. Seat belts would not have saved this child. An alert driver could not have run the aile and caught him. Education on not opening the rear door may have helped. A redesigned more child friendly rear exit may help or might cause other problems. A monitor sitting in the back of the bus would have the best chance of saving such a child, but that would cost money.

All said I would go with education, and firm inforsement of rules.

Shiny side up

Greasy side down
Go to Top of Page

NathanW
Advanced Member

United States
313 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  08:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No matter how this played out I feel sorry for everyone involved (driver, parent, siblings, students on the bus, rescuers, etc...)

Nathan--Driver Extraordinaire
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Dave

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  08:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen my brother

Shiny side up

Greasy side down
Go to Top of Page

twinkiebusdriver

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  4:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way some kids are I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often than it does.

Formerly mlkdrives41
Go to Top of Page

mtok01

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  8:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a shame, but sometimes these things happen. Education may help to persuade some people that this can happen when you play with stuff you're not supposed to touch. Some students even find it funny to open the door and jump out, and some more education may help to correct this, too.

Maybe this'll be the accident everyone needs to correct the problem, because it seems like nothing ever happens till someone gets hurt.

What d'you mean, it's not supposed to be making that noise?
Go to Top of Page

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  04:16:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was doing a charter the other day, we were stopped at a traffic light when the buzzer went off indicating the rear door had been opened. I did not move the bus (put on the 4 way flashers and set the brake) while we tried to figure out what had been opened.
(alarm is same for emergency windows as rear door, so until you check you do not know which one set it off) Finally got it shut off, it was the rear door, and on our way again. The teacher (who never paid any attention to what the kids where doing) thought the bus was unable to move when the alarm was on. I explained that no, it was I who would not move until I knew everyone was safe.

This is to show that stuff happens without warning and as drivers we need to be very careful.

Edited by - coolbusdriver on 04/14/2010 4:03:54 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000