Student left on school bus the entire day
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  11:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Special Needs Student Left On School Bus

A school bus driver is fired after leaving a special needs student on the bus the entire day.

Reporter: KAKE News, Email Address: news@kake.com

March 22, 2010
KAKE TV 10 NEWS
A school bus driver is fired after leaving a special needs student on the bus the entire day.

13-year-old Chaton Stotts is autistic. His parents say they put him on a bus to take him to Pleasant Valley school at 7:00 a.m. Monday, but he never made it off the bus. Stotts takes medication which makes him drowsy, and he told his parents he fell asleep on the way to school.

Stotts reportedly remained on the bus for the entire day, without food, water, or his medication. His parents did not find out he had been left on the bus until he told them later that afternoon.

A spokeswoman for Wichita Schools confirms to KAKE News a student was left on the bus for the day. She says Durham immediately fired the driver. She also says the district is "extremely upset" over the situation, and glad Durham took immediate action.

Click Here for source

Policy Development Sheet: – School Bus Code of Conduct - Click Here for Link (See Post #2)

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  4:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When it comes to special needs students, it always surprises me that no one at the school misses them.
Do staff not come out to the bus to get the kids?
One would think that the school staff would be asking the driver where the child is.
At least that is how it works here.
When I drop off my kids there is someone there to get them and they always want to know how they where on the trip to school.
If they are not there it is asked if I know why.
(do not always have that info, depends on whether or not the parent told me when I arrived at their home)

Edited by - coolbusdriver on 03/28/2010 4:12:37 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000