School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 What's Your Favorite Type of Window Latches?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

96AmTranRE

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  1:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit 96AmTranRE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's your favorite type of window latches? mine are IC

I changed the topic title due to it was kind of hard to have a good answer so I changed it to a poll instead

Edited by - 96AmTranRE on 02/06/2010 9:26:51 PM

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  5:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I actually like Crown and Gilligs latches better than today...I'll see if I can find a picture.

THeir latches were 3 pronged, and almost looked like suns rays. You push up on the bottom one (relieving pressure on the window...) instead of puching in, as on today's buses.

Go to Top of Page

vbacon

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  6:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vbacon's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
On our Thomas buses, our older 1996 and 1997 buses had like a bar across the bottom of the emergency windows that you had to pull real hard to get them released and then push real hard on the bottom of the window to get it open. Our 2000 and 2001 FS 65 Thomas buses and our 2005 Ford Minotours just had a small handle at the bottom of the window. Easy to release but still hard to get windows open. On our last 16 Thomas C2's the window latches are on the side of the window frame and you pull the handle and the windows swing out towards the front of the bus. The regular windows to put them down is 2 slide buttons on each end of the windows that you pushed and put the window down. This is for all of the buses.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  8:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They havn't

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  09:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lifestar Fe

I actually like Crown and Gilligs latches better than today...I'll see if I can find a picture.

THeir latches were 3 pronged, and almost looked like suns rays. You push up on the bottom one (relieving pressure on the window...) instead of puching in, as on today's buses.

Is that anything like the old Wards Pre like 1986? I really liked them. they were metal too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2010 :  4:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lifestar Fe

I couldn't find any photos in my entire photo library that showed a good closeup view of the latch, so I created the following diagram.

For those who have no experience with Gilligs or Crowns, these latches were far superior to anything used by Thomas, Blue Bird, etc., in the fact that these latches were made of stainless steel with a stainless steel release spring. They were fastened to the anodized aluminium window frame with three stainless steel screws, and were virtually maintenance free. All of the latches on my '55 Kenworth have not a speck of rust or difficulty in operation.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net

Edited by - Steven A.Rosenow on 01/31/2010 4:10:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

96AmTranRE

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  3:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit 96AmTranRE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vbacon

On our Thomas buses, our older 1996 and 1997 buses had like a bar across the bottom of the emergency windows that you had to pull real hard to get them released and then push real hard on the bottom of the window to get it open.

AmTran buses had that type of handle for their emergency window handles
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

They havn't

Yes they have, like the Ward buses used metal latches while the AmTran buses used Thomas Built type latches

Edited by - 96AmTranRE on 02/04/2010 3:52:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  07:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 96AmTranRE

quote:

They havn't

Yes they have, like the Ward buses used metal latches while the AmTran buses used Thomas Built type latches

Tell me how those Thomas Built type latches are an improvement over the Ward metal latches used back in the 80s and before?

Go to Top of Page

96AmTranRE

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  08:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit 96AmTranRE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The windows on the Ward buses got stuck if you put it down too far, I know this because last school year I rode a 1992 Ward Volunteer International 3800 with the Ward metal latches and it has happened to me, I put the window down too far and of course it got stuck and it was HARD to put the window back up.

Now the Thomas Built window frames are better becuase you can put the window down all the way without getting it stuck

Edited by - 96AmTranRE on 02/06/2010 08:29:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  8:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The windows on the Ward buses got stuck if you put it down too far, I know this because last school year I rode a 1992 Ward Volunteer International 3800 with the Ward metal latches and it has happened to me, I put the window down too far and of course it got stuck and it was HARD to put the window back up.

Now the Thomas Built window frames are better becuase you can put the window down all the way without getting it stuck

Wasn't the question about improvements in window latch designs since the 1980s?

Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  9:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unless you've ridden every Ward bus ever made, you can't fairly say that Ward's windows get stuck if you put them down all the way. Just because they're like that on one Ward bus doesn't mean they're like that on all Ward buses.

Also, maybe you're just really weak...

Edited by - Tatum on 02/06/2010 9:32:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

ohMatty2

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  10:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the old style windows that were hard to push out. They opened at the bottom. I don't like the ones that open like a cabinent door. They are WAY to easy to operate and too dangerous -too easy for kids to fall out.

Schoolbus driver: 2001 to 09. Employers: Laidlaw, AA Transportation, Shrewsbury, MA.
AKA: 80RE4, Laidlawdrivermassachusetts, 96Amtran-Re. Buses: Amtran RE, Thomas FE.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  05:03:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My vote's for the Crown latches (California Crowns, NOT Carpenter Crowns). Easy to open, and they stay closed.

The latches on my 02 Thomas are a pain. The windows always get stuck closed - you have to pull at the center before unlatching to break the seal (Might be related to the black paint on the frames). If you just push them closed, they don't properly latch - you have to open fully and then slam them closed or they'll fall to the first notch when you hit a bump.

The newer ones with Spectal windows have the same problems, but worse. The pushouts also get stuck very easily, and you have to push really hard on them to open during a pretrip.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  09:24:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like IC buses but one of my least favorite parts are the windows and latches. The windows are prone to only being latched on one side leaving a wedge of visable daylight shinning through on the other. The plastic latch points get rounded/wore off allowing windows to not be held fully closed which turns that wedge of daylight into a band of daylight. The plastic latch points also wear out even faster if you have a bus that is equipped with the heavier laminated side glass and travel on rough roads allowing them to fall down when you hit a bump, I have had one 78 passenger FE come in with a clip board propped in the window to keep it closed. For that bus I order the replacement latch kits by the 1/2 dozen at a time.

Like so many things newer doesn't necessarily mean better but rather cheaper to produce and assembly line friendly.

Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  3:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a question - is there any functional purpose to painting the window frames black? The 02 Thomas I mentioned is owned by First Student, and there are a lot of FS Thomases around here with black window frames (yellow window posts, clear glass). I've never known FS to get an option just to make the bus look better...
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  11:10:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I believe black paint on them is more a cosmetic decision than anything else.

Window frames for school buses are constructed of anodized aluminium which is very corrision-resistant. And if they're well maintained, they'll last virtually forever.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net
Go to Top of Page

scoobydoo6v92

60 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  04:57:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit scoobydoo6v92's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish all the windows were double paned so that ice wouldn't build up or condensation so the kids wouldnt write in them. I love the latches on my RTS now they hold great.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  06:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoobydoo6v92

I wish all the windows were double paned so that ice wouldn't build up or condensation so the kids wouldnt write in them.

Double pain windows all over? Drivers dream, maintenance nightmare.

Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  07:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by scoobydoo6v92

I wish all the windows were double paned so that ice wouldn't build up or condensation so the kids wouldnt write in them.

Double pain windows all over? Drivers dream, maintenance nightmare.

+1 to Fastback's sentiment. Double panes tend to put a biot of a hurt on the mechanic's time & the parts budget.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

Head South

2 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  6:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Head South's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How do you replace those latches?
quote:

I like IC buses but one of my least favorite parts are the windows and latches. The windows are prone to only being latched on one side leaving a wedge of visable daylight shinning through on the other. The plastic latch points get rounded/wore off allowing windows to not be held fully closed which turns that wedge of daylight into a band of daylight. The plastic latch points also wear out even faster if you have a bus that is equipped with the heavier laminated side glass and travel on rough roads allowing them to fall down when you hit a bump, I have had one 78 passenger FE come in with a clip board propped in the window to keep it closed. For that bus I order the replacement latch kits by the 1/2 dozen at a time.

Like so many things newer doesn't necessarily mean better but rather cheaper to produce and assembly line friendly.

Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  05:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Head South

How do you replace those latches?
quote:

The replacement kits come with directions. Basically you lower window and look for the steel pin in the top window frame. Drive pin with punch untill latch is free to slide towards center of window and remove through notches. Install new latch assembly through notches and slide into positon, compress spring until holes line up and drive new retainer pin in through top frame untill flush.

Edited by - Fastback on 08/12/2011 05:17:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  12:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My favorite type of latch are the kind that open and actually work.

On a side note, I personally think the Hehr brand was probably the worst brand of latches ever made (sadly they were popular on Carpenters from 94-96). Only plus is they are very easy to change, but the ends break off so stinkin easy on em too.

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000