New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  06:03:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone heard any news on how the conract with Krapf bus is going? I was curious if any snags arose or if their might have been a driver shortage. Does any know how the buses are branded?

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  7:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Durn, I was wondering about that myself. My understanding is that Krapf was hiring the Roanoke drivers at their same pay. I imagine that they are upset about losing their benefits....but in this economy, what are they going to do? Of course Krapf is only leaving the pay the same in order to have a more seamless transition. That WILL change once they have time to replace the current drivers.

The only place to undercut the district is the drivers' seat!

Fairfax is facing another 150+ million dollar shortfall for the next fiscal year...it's going to get nasty, the "fat" has already been cut. I wonder if Fairfax will contract out transportation? Could First Student handle it? I don't see why not....and I really wouldn't mind seeing it happen. We have a lot of self-important jerks that I would love to see get the boot! LOL
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  10:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah its going to get nasty everywhere! I work for a private school and you can guess how tight things are around here. We are short about 45 students, equals up a pretty good shortfall for us as well. Transportation was hit hard. No newer buses unless absoluteley needed, and no raise in pay this year and probably next year as well. Its going to be hard to justify sending a child to private school when public is free and the bank is fixing to foreclose your house. I would think we would see more and more contractors in the future. I just hope it all works as planned. I think it would be a disaster to resume in-house operation after years of contract.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  1:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, especially if McDonnell wins. Like most Republicans, he's big on "privatization". He wants to sell off the ABC stores and throw thousands out of work. Joe's Liquor Store sure isn't going to provide pensions and health insurance to his clerks. But who knows, maybe that's how it should be.

Here in Fairfax, they provide full benefits to transportation and custodial workers, and that costs tens of millions of dollars. Both functions could be privatized, and it may happen. They have to offer competitive benefits packages to the teachers in order to staff the classrooms....but not to us flunkies! LOL

And after the disastrous re-arranging of routes this year...the public will never believe that privatizing transportation wouldn't work. They'd likely think "how could it be any worse than it is now?".

Fairfax is trying to get rid of the high cost (senior) drivers....which is fine, but instead of offering buy-outs and/or early retirements like most reputable organizations do....Fairfax is jerking drivers around in the hopes that they'll quit. It's a sorry outfit and I'm sure glad my livlihood doesn't depend on 'em!
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  12:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is'nt it a shame how senior drivers are treated. Most of my drivers are retired drivers that were tired of the jerking around but loved driving. They come to work for us and its like it was at the county 20 years ago. Private schools have challenges that public doesnt, but we try to treat employees as great as we can. I havent hired a driver in 4 years, we just dont have turnover.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000