Understanding Poverty
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Davidrte9

United States
98 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  06:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently attended an inservice based on the book "A framework for understanding poverty" by Ruby K. Payne, Ph.D... Our dist. has a lot of poverty but as the book describes, poverty is more than just not having money.

This inservice really opened my eyes to understand why some of these kids act the way they do. I would suggest that if you are truley interested in finding out what makes some of these students "tick", get this book.

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  07:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard it mentioned in several seminars, and now that you brought it up, too, I think I"m going to look for a copy right now. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  10:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There are a few copies of the book on e-bay. Just do a search by title.

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

Davidrte9

United States
98 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  12:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can find them on Amazon.
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  08:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent book! I recommend it to anyone who deals with people. I just finished reading it for the first time, and anticipate going through it at least two more times. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Davidrte9

United States
98 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  2:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sam: Sure does help you understand "now I realize why he is doing that". Next time some Kid laughs at you when you are displining him, you will understand why he is doing it.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  2:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm at disadvantage temporarily of having not read that specific book.

Regardless, read plenty on this subject over the years and found most of em' so-called doctors and other paper-packing social engineering experts works insult the poor.

To use poverty to promote excuses for uncivil behavior is ridiculous, not supportable except perhaps in the extremes in some cases, and leaves me wondering how come most of our nation's school bus drivers are not out rioting in the streets, robbing banks, dealing in drugs, and killing everybody in sight?

Delbert S. Elliot helped clear the way these days for the poor to remain noble when he said, "Poverty itself is not a factor, but getting out of poverty can involve violence as a potent strategy." (~ Identifying and Implementing Model Violence Prevention Programs - Delbert S. Elliot, Ph. D., The Institute of Behavioral Science, Program on Problem Behavior, University of Colorado.)

Maybe I'm poor too, since years ago we threw out the cell phones, cable TV, fancy cars and high living, in favor of life insurance and retirement programs that cost less money than many of the accumulating frivolous child and adult toys and conveniences the public is obsessing over these days.

True poverty is a starving mind with no where to get a good academic and social education. Were we adults doing our work effectively I would think most kids could graduate high school by today’s' eighth grade.

Even then could be offered two years free community college or tech school tuition -- the savings to the state's wallet and the livelihoods of the young would be astonishing in my opinion.

But we adults choose to wonder about with our conveniences and pamper our nation's children to the point too many can not spell or do basic math or make decent decisions by high school graduation.

These days too many kids are ill-equipped academically and with no work ethic to move forward. What are these to do after graduating high school?

There is plenty of poverty out there, most of it within the starving and naked minds of the financially abundant that are either unaware, in denial or deceptive concerning what kids actually need, including some of the crap that comes from the minds of some of the so-called doctors.

Would not know how the mentioned book addresses this issue and will add it to my list to find out. (jk)

"Poverty is a career for lot's of well paid people" -- Ronald Reagan (1911-1980)

"Nature makes us poor only when we want necessaries, but custom gives the name of poverty to the want of superfluities" ~ Samuel Johnson (1709-1784 - Next only to William Shakespeare, Samuel Johnson is perhaps the most quoted of English writers.)

Myths about poverty

Free Photos, Ads, New School Year Bus Safety Template with Quiz - for use in schools and transportation departments to help promote school bus safety. Not for Resale use. Contact if release needed. You do not have to be a member to download these resources. Click Here for link

Policy Development Sheet: – School Bus Code of Conduct - Click Here for Link

Edited by - JK on 09/20/2009 3:06:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  1:50:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davidrte9

Sam: Sure does help you understand "now I realize why he is doing that". Next time some Kid laughs at you when you are displining him, you will understand why he is doing it.

Some kid did it today during bus evacuation drills. Yay for me for not yelling at him even more. I simply said, "This is the time when we are serious about safety. Please pay attention so we can all be safe together."

It worked. 'nuff said.
Go to Top of Page

Davidrte9

United States
98 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  2:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JK; That is the whole point. Just because you are with out financial resources is not poverty. Poverty involves a lot more than that. Take for example your local "Drug Dealer" This person has the SUV, all the "Bling", the big wad of cash hae has it all but he still has the poverty attitude because that is all he has ever known.

You mentioned that you threw out all the cell phones and what ever in favor of savings and retirement accounts. This is the middle class attitute that most of us subscrib to.

I work in a district that is financialy deprived but you can bet most of the "poor kids" have the big screen TV, the newest MP3's and the $100.00 sneakers while the middle class kids may be doing with out all the "Bling".

Once you read the book, I think you will get a much clearer understanding.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  03:51:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
<< I simply said, "This is the time when we are serious about safety. Please pay attention so we can all be safe together."

Excellent. (jk)

---

Managing money is an attitude that can be found among all classes, depending on their value systems.

I do, for example, have a big screen TV, - like it a lot. How many stations do we really need, especially when many digital channels are now available over air even in most rural areas?

We get about 2 dozen HDTV channels for the introductory rate of one antenna and a rotator, and a permanent monthly fee of Zero Dollars.

Larger viewing areas have many more channels available over the air, again Free - including digital movie channels, sports, kids, music and weather channels.

How many movies do we really need available at one point? A specific movie can be rented cheap before it's available on HBO, or even a trip to the Movie Theater on occasion is cheaper than HBO and such.

A little seasalt in water swished around the mouth a few minutes each day can resolve all sorts of issues over time. A book on homemade household cleaners can save a small fortune, and some homemade cleaners and medicines work better than that stuff off the counter.

I paid cash to a dealer for my newer vehicle - actually put it on my new 15-month zero-percent credit card and paid it off within that 15-months.

Ignorance, advertising and so-called convenience is killing our wallets.

My kids spend, spend, spend - but when visiting, and there is no C-phone reception at my place, no cable to watch - somehow, someway my six kids and eighteen grandchildren do just fine watching free over the air HDTV, discovering homemade cleaners, enjoying each others company and our private outdoors. Tents are pitched, a fire built and its back to talking to each other in person.

Seems to work well for all classes. (jk)

Free Photos, Ads, New School Year Bus Safety Template with Quiz - for use in schools and transportation departments to help promote school bus safety. Not for Resale use. Contact if release needed. You do not have to be a member to download these resources. Click Here for link

Edited by - JK on 09/23/2009 03:55:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Salaskie
Advanced Member

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  1:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Salaskie an AOL message  Send Salaskie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just spoke with a gentleman who was our school's administrator...now retired and subbing...about this book. He indicated it was required reading for his staff.
Go to Top of Page

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  08:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JK

"Nature makes us poor only when we want necessaries, but custom gives the name of poverty to the want of superfluities" ~ Samuel Johnson (1709-1784 - Next only to William Shakespeare, Samuel Johnson is perhaps the most quoted of English writers.)[/i]

Myths about poverty

I look at most of the cars in the parking lots where I am with my charters and I am pretty discusted. People in other parts of the world are walking around dumps looking for food, and people are driving cars like these? Yea, and 'I' am supposed to go buy one too- stimulate the economy and all. What is wrong with people like me anyway.

High School Friend-"Hey! How are you! Well, I guess you can't be doing too well, you're driving a school bus."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000