New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  03:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any one having this problem other than me?
Hoods crack at the hinges, we have had them break all the way. Freightliner is not warranty friendly, here is the response we get on most claims
Thank You! Your Warranty inquiry has been resolved.

The crack you are referring to is not one that requires replacing the hood or even breaking the paint to reglass at all. We see literally thousands of these hoods and based on the pictures this one is definitely not a candidate for anything more than installing the re-inforcements.

Judging by the response, I am not the only one with the problem. We just get a big run around on these.

My question to Freightliner would be of these thousands of hoods you see are of school buses which the hoods are opened more than once a day for pre-trip and post-trip inspections?

Edited by - sambrutay on 06/26/2009 03:22:07 AM

TransportationSouthParts

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  11:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where are you located? What year model is the vehicle? We have replaced several, but have also repaired less severe examples. Are you attempting to get assistance from a Freightliner truck dealer or from a school bus dealer? You'll get more help from your school bus dealer every time.

Many time the breakage is a result of drivers who do not open the hoods from the front, but from the sides, which eventually causes the hoods to open "off center".
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  07:32:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Located in Louisville KY. 04, 05, & 08 year models. I am attempting to get warranty thru the local school bus dealer/catapillar dealer. Of course they have to submit the claim to the shaker company. If its a warranty item on the Cat engine I get no problems. But don't let it be a freightliner or thomas problem. then its tough luck.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

mcarden

United States
12 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  3:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had the Problem with our 2000 Freightliners and they have putting a hood kit as they call it, it puts some metal plates on the front side of the hood behind the grille and reportedly will cure that. I'll see if I can get a part number and supplier
Go to Top of Page

bcressey

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  7:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit bcressey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
there is a specific kit available from freightliner, works very well if you do it early enough. recommend you talk to your tbb dealer, make sure you have them check in service date for that specific vehicle.
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  05:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
already installing the kits. they just put the force else where.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

mik

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  4:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the problem is big enough for after market to find a niche .

http://www.bushoodrepair.com/sell_damaged_hood_parts.html

the only ones we had break were running washboard roads and drivers not slowing down .
Go to Top of Page

busdriverin06

United States
2 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  4:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have replaced 4 hoods on 2 (2004) & 2 (2005) FS-65's... My bus is being sent away next week to have the hood replaced. The broken hinge did not just crack the fiberglass but completely broke through the front of the hood.
Go to Top of Page

ERG Inc.

1 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  09:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit ERG Inc.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a common problem on the Freightliner buses. We sell a kit that is patented for a fraction of the cost to replace this problem. Check out our website at www.bushoodfix.com.[/size=6]
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  06:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys I just had a deer attack my 2004 FS65 Thomas. The hood got cracked on the r/h side near the hinge, smashed grille, the intercooler is damaged as well and the headlight bucket is busted but fixable. What is the part number for the kit at Freightliner, I bet my dealer don't stock it local. I need one pretty quick vs a whole hood.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bcressey

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  6:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit bcressey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the bulletin looks like bulletin #88-3, kit p/n A17-17601-000. just sent it to your email address.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  08:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found out I'm getting a whole hood from Freightliner. Wow I am speechless LOL. Now if it comes in yellow. Thanks Brian for the bulletin, I wonder if the new hood already has the upgrade. Parts supposed to be here Monday.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bcressey

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  4:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit bcressey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
pretty sure its just the actual shell. i hope it comes in yellow too, but everyone i've ever ordered shows up black
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  2:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It came today, Black with the inside still white. It came with the hood hinges and the cowl guide brackets installed. The shipping skid was pretty handy to sit the old one on while I change out the intercooler. She is gonna look like new again.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  07:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is an old topic, but my right side hinge totally broke through the hood on Monday, and each day it's getting worse. Now it's to the point where the grill is busted up. Is this an easy fix with some metal and fiberglass or will the whole hood need replaced? Does anybody know where a used hood can be purchased in Pittsburgh, PA?

I'll show you my air brakes if you show me yours.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  10:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We use the FR-HRK from T.A.C. it has all the parts needed to replace and reinforce both sides at the hinges.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000