New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  12:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the summer fast aproaching, I was wondering if anyone knows a quick and good way to put on a coat of wax?

I am keeping my buses longer because of budget constraints so I want to start keeping the paint a little better than I have been.

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  6:03:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had good luck using Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax on all of the buses I have driven in the last few years. I used to use a orbital buffer with terry bonnets, but recently I upgraded to a Meguiars Dual Action polisher with foam pads. The DA spreads the wax much thinner and more evenly making it easier to remove and it cut my waxing time in half. This one was easy because it's a 2008, but I've done a few 98's and they came out great too. Here's a few pics from my last detail.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  05:33:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys, i use the karate kid, he does good job!!!lol

I'D WOULD RATHER BE CUMMIN THAN STROKIN ! ! ! !
I.C no future!!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  09:13:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if anyone would get that. I'm not the only 80s guy here I guess.

I have never used wax on a bus in the 15+ years that I have been here. I need to start though and I think it will be this summer if I can talk the super into purchacing a orbit buffer or similar. I think there is a Meguiars dealer that comes through town. I'll have to flag him down.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  05:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We wax our buses about every other year. If you have any oxidation on the bus you will probably need a 'cleaner/wax'. Our buses are all parked inside so we do not get the oxidation others experience. We use Nu Finish car polish. It puts a nice shine on the bus but it doesn't clean off any grime or marks which are on the paint. Make sure you wash the bus thoroughly before waxing, let it dry completely then wax. Most waxes are not supposed to be applied in the sun. You will need a shady sport to park in or pull it in a garage. One thing about Nu Finish is it can be applied outside in the sun. It goes on and wipes off real easy. Will last a year.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  06:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many year's ago, I tried to wax the old Wayne bus I drove and I rubbed the paint right off! I haven't attempted a bus wax job since...
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  1:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You call them old so I assume you meant a Richmond bus, bus I always wondered if that forsaken paint used at m-ville would look yellow again if waxed!

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 05/07/2009 1:30:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nick
Advanced Member

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  2:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Nick an AOL message  Reply with Quote
One of our neighboring districts has an IH/Wayne for a spare, and the paint is faded so badly it's more beige than yellow...

IC the future, and it is bright.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  8:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's not safe is it?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  06:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, mine was an '87 built in Richmond; they faded badly but not as badly as the Marysville buses.

I have a '95 in the fleet that is simply embarrassing...it's twin has been repainted and looks awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  5:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHA...I love seeing your old faded Wayne!!! Doesn't fit in with the whole UA way of life, makes me smile.

Go out to 310 & 70 and swap it for one of the new Columbus CE's...they won't miss one or two!
Go to Top of Page

nelson480

United States
26 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  8:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see nelson480's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im not a fan of C2s, but that does look good!
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  3:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What do you guys use to clean your bus floors to make them clean and shiny without making them slippery?

I would be interested in your responses.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  4:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, clean and shiny are 2 different things. At the company I work for that cares about such things (and occasionally on my own time at the other company), Mr. Clean with Febreeze does a great job cleaning and leaves a very subtle fresh aroma. Dilute it weakly in hot water and use a string mop (to avoid suds, I've found sponge mops leave spots and streaks).

For shining, any good floor polish will work, I've used Mop 'N Glo a few times.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  4:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used mop n glo when I used to clean buses for the other drivers. I don't know if the original formula still exists, I remember there being some new version that came out and I was not impressed at all.

Once I got the floor nice and clean with some pine-sol or similar product and it dried, then came the mop n glow.

Of course, in the days of 24, this was unacceptable. 3 coats of industrial grade floor wax every summer...now THAT is how it's done!
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  3:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do a two part plan. The first is a cleaner/degrease. We dilute it a lot. The first cleaner we use is morado by zep
http://www.zep.com/products/products.aspx?CatalogMode=1&CategoryID=2&SearchTerm=morado

After two days of drying and sitting at an incline, we then apply a heavy coat of zep focus followed by a second coat a few hours after. This step puts a heavy shine and sealer on the floor. It protects it and prolongs the life of the floor. The floor will look wet when dry- looking brand new but is not slippery when wet which makes it also safe!
http://www.zep.com/products/products.aspx?CatalogMode=1&CategoryID=2&SearchTerm=focus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000