grease types and intervals
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  11:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What type of grease do you use (synthetic vs. non-synthetic) and what are your grease intervals? We're currently using Mobile 1 synthetic and greasing every 2500-3500 miles depending on how many miles are accumulated between the 45 day service inspections.

I used to use a high temp lithium based moly grease and the only reason I switched to synthetic was due to the two u-joints closest to the differential getting loose despite regular greasing. However, even with synthetics, I'm still wearing out the u-joints on new busses at low mileage.

I'm thinking about switching back, but I'd like some input on what other people are doing.

Thanks in advance.

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  11:59:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using Pillips/Conoco Omniguard, its a high temperature EP calcium sulfanate grease. We do seem to have less spring pin issues with it.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  2:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's interesting. I have been using the same grease for over 15 years and have never had trouble. The grease I use is from FS which is a farmer owned coop. It is the best grease they sell (so I have been told) but not synthetic. I grease everything at 3000 miles. You must have something wrong to have a re-occuring problem like that. For the life of me I can not imagine what that would be though. What kind of bus is this occuring on?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  3:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use Mobil CM-P. It is a black lithium grease with 3% molybdenum disulfide, an excellent lubricant. You would have to come up with something really outstanding to get me to switch to anything else.

The number of spring bushing, drag link and tie rod end replacements dropped dramatically when I switched to this lube from synthetic.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENGRSMOMobilgreaseCMSeries.asp

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  7:41:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The lithium moly grease is a good choice. I have very few u-joint replacements. As far as spring pins go, I use a spiral cut spring pin which allows grease to circumference the entire pin. This and the grease combo help a life of pins considerbly. I still to date (18 years) have not had any king pin replacments. Your operating conditions may be such that these items will wear differently. I operate on mostly paved roads, hot dry summers and cold wet winters.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  04:40:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the u-joints I've replaced so far have been right around 50,000 miles. It's almost always the last 2 u-joints only (closest to the rear end). Our entire fleet consists of IH/Thomas', IC's and CE's. I don't think that's related though. I should note this too; I'll replace a u-joint even if it's just a little bit loose. It's very possible I'm being a little too proactive about them, but I've never seen a loose u-joint tighten itself back up. Maybe I should allow a little bit of play them.

We go through a lot of spring pin bushings but I'm in Minnesota and we run a lot of washboard gravel. In the springtime the asphalt roads aren't any better. Brad, where do you get the spiral cut pins from?
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  12:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Google 'Stemco Kaiser' or 'V.W.Kaiser Engineering', then call them or email them for a vendor in your area.
The u-joints you remove which are just loose, how do they look when you get them apart? If the pin side of the joint doesn't show any bearing marks, pitting or rust you may be able to run them longer. You are probably making a wise choice however replacing them if they feel loose. Have you ever made a note to watch one which feels loose, possibly measuring how loose it actually is, then remeasuring at the next service to see if it is worse or the same?
You may find that more frequent greasing my extend joints and pins. It sounds like you have some real severe operating conditions. You said you grease between 2500 & 3500 miles. I found in my district years ago that 3500 miles was excessive for my operating conditions on most buses. After some serious testing I converted all mileage intervals to hours of engine operation. My first PM adjustment allowed me to extend my oil to 6000 miles or 240 hours of operation. I then set a lube interval at 80 hours or 2000 miles, switched grease type to super high quality lithium base moly grease and spiral spring pins. We have also used the URO pins & bushings. They are costly to purchase but once you replace them you never have to do it again. Urobushings.com.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  05:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Valvoline Optimum Choice, I swear by it, Everyone has their favorites no doubt. Its a partial synthetic/lithium for severe duty service. I know if this stuff gets on the floor a pressure washer can't remove it. I've not had a ujoint ever go out. I grease at 2000, I think I'm going to 2500 next fall.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

flyboy

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  11:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit flyboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we have been using Kendall SHP synthetic grease for years. We grease every 2000 miles on big buses and every 4000 on small buses. We tried the uro bushing and they just didn't hold up for us. we overspec our king pins and spring suspensions to get longer service life. Almost no u-joint issues.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  3:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We get rid of buses 15 years old with 220 K on them and the original u joints using Mobil CM-P.

Go to Top of Page

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  04:31:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

We get rid of buses 15 years old with 220 K on them and the original u joints using Mobil CM-P.

What intervals are you greasing at?
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  06:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I grease every PM @6000 mi with FS. Then I wipe off the excess to keep the sand from clinging to the king-pin area. Never replaced a u-joint yet. The new birds are using spicer for life joints, no grease fittings. Hopefully these work out.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  3:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I lube at 2500 miles. full service at 5000.

Go to Top of Page

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  12:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As with engine oil synthetic grease maintains improved stability at high and low temperatures with lower friction. Recommended for trailer axles.

PHW

Child Check For Life
Chock Wheels For Life
Proud American For Life
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000