I.C. bus headlight wire chaffing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  11:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys, just noticed this problem, next to the headlight flat connector, check your wires, they will rub off against the rubber deflector connected to rad support, both sides...we have cut rubber where it rubs on 06-09 ic buses to alleviate the problem

Edited by - wright11 on 04/08/2009 12:01:07 PM

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  1:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep...4300 series are good at that too! Just wears enough that you don't see it till the road salt gets in there!

Somebody oughta publish manuals called "Own this? Check this!" or "So...you bought a (insert name here)"
Books being model-specific and features all the little quirks eh? Maybe the bus makers could provide it with new bus literature!

Imagine how thick the Thomas Vista book would be!

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 04/08/2009 1:19:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  2:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First one I checked rubbed through on the RH side, just showing the wires. Thanks wright!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  2:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomasbus24, The lawyers won't let you publish a book like that.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  3:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I am not entirely sure when sharing valuable information became a bad thing, but it certainly is!!!
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  6:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys, to bad brad cannot separate the ic problems, from the other bus problems...can we have a specific subsection I.C. problem FORUM..
come on BRAD we know you can do it!!!

I'D WOULD RATHER BE CUMMIN THAN STROKIN ! ! ! !
I.C no future!!
Go to Top of Page

Nick
Advanced Member

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  12:36:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Nick an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wright11

hi guys, to bad brad cannot separate the ic problems, from the other bus problems...can we have a specific subsection I.C. problem FORUM..
come on BRAD we know you can do it!!!

You wouldn't want to do that, all three all suck these days...

IC the future, and it is bright.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  05:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All three bus brands? Come on, that's just not true. I would say from listening to people here and around our area that number one and two are Blue Bird and Thomas not nessasarily in that order. I am really down on IC right now so I would say it is #10 out of 3.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  06:40:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that maybe just putting the right "keywords" in the topic would work. Year, Make, Model, Problem. That way everyone can find specific info a bit easier. Everyone has their favorite brand of bus, so subtopics would also be nice. Bluebird recalls, Thomas recalls, IC, etc. That way we all can fix any bus (the right way), even if it's not our favorite brand. After all these busses are out there hauling kids and it's our job to keep them going and safe.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Nick
Advanced Member

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  06:48:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Nick an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

All three bus brands? Come on, that's just not true. I would say from listening to people here and around our area that number one and two are Blue Bird and Thomas not nessasarily in that order. I am really down on IC right now so I would say it is #10 out of 3.

I would argue that it is. Thomas has their C2 and all its problems (too many to list), problems with the EPA '07 MBE (you can argue that they've fixed those but people still moan about the *out of production* VT365 so it's only fair), plus other problems with the rest of them (mostly electronic). Bird I have been hearing about rust, poor paint, electrical problems. IC of course has the VT365, electrical problems, and hydraulic brake issues. All three are suffering from shoddy workmanship and the problems of putting electronics in a heavy duty environment such as a school bus. So I would say they're about even.

IC the future, and it is bright.

Edited by - Nick on 04/09/2009 06:53:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  07:10:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wolf, you are right we need to maintain what we have and I do to the best of my ability. I just want to keep in mind the best way to improve my fleet.

The thing that is stuck in my craw now is that I had a better fleet before I got these two ICs. If I had the two buses back that I traded for these two I would not have near the down time that I have now.

(big breath) I will deal with it and get over it!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  07:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe, I hear ya brother. I have a Freightliner with a MBE I wish someone would buy. It was traded to us with problems and I have fixed a lot of them by reading these forums. Maybe you could trade off your ICs for something better?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  08:12:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably too late for 2005s and maybe it was just our dealer thing but I was infomed of a guaranteed buy back price if we were not satisfied with our 2008 CE200 after 3 years, it was roughly 2/3 of original purchase price if I recall and the mileage had to be within a certain limit. I asked if that was just on the VT365s and they said no it was on all their buses, it was just that they had yet to buy back any with DT466s.

Here is my 5/5/2008 post mentioning the buy back guarantee;

"To recap, we were looking to score one more pre 2007 emission bus before they were all gone. All that were left at this dealer were VT365 units, if it would have had hydraulic brakes I would have passed. The rear air ride suspension is another plus. This engine should have the latest improvements on the components and the latest programming. There really isn't tremendous risk as besides the warranty there is a three year, if we don't like it they buy it back deal for a set amount. If we took that option and they bought it back it figures out to about $7,000 per year cost for our use.
Our 6.0 Powerstroke has been great to us so I know that they are not all turds and maybe our fuel and maintenance practices agree with them.
Thanks for the well wishes and I will keep you posted as to how it works out."

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.

Edited by - origcharger on 04/09/2009 08:18:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  09:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wolf, I would like to trade but we have no money, I mean none. This district has gotten recognition in the past for the good financial position we have been in. It still has very little debt. We have kept up with replacement of equipment and everything. Now the state of Illinois says it will not pay us what they owe. This puts a strain on everyone. I could go into details about what I think but I get a headace just mentioning it.

Bottom line is I need to formulate some kind of plan to keep the cost down on the repairs to these units. It may come a time that it will be cheaper just to park these ICs and limp by untill bluer skys.

By the way, thanks orig' for the thought. I respect you for bringing that up even though you are an IC guy.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  10:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Bottom line is I need to formulate some kind of plan to keep the cost down on the repairs to these units. It may come a time that it will be cheaper just to park these ICs and limp by untill bluer skys.

By the way, thanks orig' for the thought. I respect you for bringing that up even though you are an IC guy.

bwest, If you are truly frustrated with your IC buses and your dealer has not been able to resolve the issues you may want to consider contacting IC's Midwest Regional Sales Manager out of Chicago; Ken Becker 630-753-5911 he can make things happen and is one of the reasons I beat the International drum.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  11:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might do that but I think I will wait to see what happends at the shop. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  7:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think we all know that they're all junk. They are made just about as cheaply as they can be to win low bids. You can spec better buses but you will have to pay for them. Our fleet, for example, has all DT466s, Allison automatics, air brakes, 10K front axles and air rear suspension. We pay the extra.

We have Thomas, Bluebird and IC bodies on them and they all have their good points and drawbacks. They are all built as quickly and cheaply as possible. I'm just glad we didn't end up with any Carpenters.

I'll be checking out the IC headlight harnesses. Reminds me of the Thomas body harness chafing problem on the front left body support and the Bluebird air door wires ripping themselves apart. Thanx for the tip!

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 04/09/2009 7:25:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  4:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I checked the oldest IC bus and found the chafing problem. It hadn't quite chafed through but it would eventually. I have two '06 IH 3000 series with Bluebird bodies which I will check next week because they have the same hood arrangement.

I'll be checking our 7400 series dump trucks too.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 04/10/2009 4:12:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  04:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you have front bumper crossing gates keep a eye out at the right front bumper bracket. the wiring is tied real tight and the magnet wire may chaffe. this pops the amp gauge fuse.

as stated above they all have stuff we need to chase on new buses. its part of the times with reducing costs and times. all we can do as techs is step up our PM's. harnesses need to be checked and repaired as soon as rubbing is noticed.

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  10:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I have been reading this thread and even made a few comments. I just now remembered that I had this head light problem too. But it was on a BB/Chevy ,02 (I think the year is correct) It was a little different though. The high beam lights would work but not the bright (on either side). So I naturally thought it must be in the dimmer switch. I tested and had power coming from it and out side. After much head scratching and other scratching I finally found on the right side near the right head light there was a wire with the insulation rubbed off and then the wire corroded in two.

Seems to me that years ago the wire would last a little longer with no insulation. What happend between then and now I wonder? Keep in mind where I live there are not as many snow storms than the northern areas. So not as much salt.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000