LEECE-NEVILLE ALTERNATORS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  05:53:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys, we have had premature burnouts of our ic bus alts., i have contacted leece direct,because ic will not warranty past one year..
i now have new replacements on my shelf..
the person to contact is mark timerman
he is the regional rep guy, and he is here to help
he has asked me to post his email so he CAN HELP
LEECE OFFERS 2 YR. WARRANTY ON SCHOOL BUS APPLICATIONS
HOPE THIS HELPS YOU GUYS

mtimerman@prestolite.com

Edited by - wright11 on 03/15/2009 11:10:38 AM

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  11:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thank you for the information, it might come in handy. I have a couple of the IC buses and had trouble with the alternators on both of them. I knew at the time they were under warrenty but opted to take them to the local starter and alternator shop. I have been doing business with this shop for over 25 years and he always tells me straight up what is going on. The first thing he did when I showed it to him was to pitch it over his shoulder and said "a new one won't last any longer than this one did" Taking a step back I said "What can you do for me?" He looked down at the floor and with one swoop picked up a couple of "floor sweeps" and built me an alternator that he said "will out last that one by a long shot" Now you may say this sounds "like a tall tail" and I'll admitt to you that it does but that was about 2 years ago and the only trouble I have had is on idle. The ones he built will have a hard time keeping up. And that is exactly what he told me would happen. He stated that I could spend a lot of money on a new one of a different model or make but that this one, for the money, would work just fine and it has.

Just some thoughts from a rattling mind.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  4:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody using Bosch replacement alternators? They switched to them down home a couple years ago and haven't looked back! Wonder if anyone else might have a comment?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2009 :  5:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used a couple of Bosch alternators. They seem to be good. I think I used one on a tracotor and one on a bus but not the IC.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mbillman

United States
30 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  03:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have a Bosch alt on one of my busses and so far I have had no problems with it. I have ordered more for stock. They are easier to install and put out more amperage.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  08:34:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Bosch's are supposedly pretty good alternators from what I've been hearing. Blue Bird switched to them a few years back, and now the IC buses are coming with them as well. Techs seem to be pretty pleased so far.

Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  06:48:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wright11

hi guys, we have had premature burnouts of our ic bus alts., i have contacted leece direct,because ic will not warranty past one year..

That's not exactly true....

IC (Navistar) covers "bolt on" accessories and parts for one year just like most of the other components, but L-N's warranty is TWO years.

If your DEALER will not replace a L-N alternator or starter during THEIR (2 year) warranty period, it's on the DEALER and not IC because there are procedures for doing so.

Put another way, there is NO REASON for an IC dealer to refuse warranty coverage on a L-N componant during the L-N two year coverage period.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  10:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi mod, maybe the difference is the canadian dealers, we have 3 dealers and all have said 1 year factory installed, 2 year over the counter,,,but that doesn't matter anymore ,,we have the updated 185 amp alternators(thanks to mark at leece), instead of the high burnout 175 amp..with what you are saying, our IC dealers doesn't know his head from a piece of $^%#@. this is why we won't be specing IC crap this year!!!

I'D WOULD RATHER BE CUMMIN THAN STROKIN ! ! ! !
I.C no future!!
Go to Top of Page

coachbp

United States
1 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  3:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit coachbp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well this is a very large problem that has went on for a long time! The solutions are very simple Leece-Neville 185amp unit, Bosch 200amp unit,or the just released 28si from Delco 200 amp.They all charge about the same in the shaft speed most will operate in. The reason most will tell you is it is a amperage problem however it seems to be a diode and cooling problem to carry the 175amps. the 185 amp Leece-Neville comes with 6 extra diodes and extra cooling but is however longer and in some situations will not fit(snub-nosed buses). The Bosch and Delco both are 2 internal fan styles and do not at this point seem to have issues. The Bosch and Delco however will fit in all applications Bosch requires a $10 adaption kit. You find the Bosch and the Delco are also more reasonable in price!! We are a w/d for all three suppliers and would welcome the chance to share our knowledge further with over 100 years expertise in the charging and starting field! Contact me at bdpatterson1992@netzero.com or 309-694-3800 I can give you the numbers of all the units, the pricing and better explain how to fix the problem no band aids here we can solve it!
Go to Top of Page

bcressey

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  8:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit bcressey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
your dealer can get paperwork direct from leece and file for you. it is more work than normal warranty through their normal oem, you just need to make sure they do it. it is 2 year on school bus application, we have filed about a half dozen on C2s we sold. they have paid us parts and labor on failures past 1 year but before 2 years. so far the 200 amp delco has been pretty good.
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  3:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys, like i said our dealers ,,don't know **** up here in edmonton, their heads are in boxes, and they are scared to go against the IC corporation, and they say NO to almost everything!!we have many issues with the corporation, to numerous to mention here, so we as a school board, will likely not buy any more of international issues. we have had so many problems with these buses, we can't keep them on the road-EXTREME HIGH MAINTENANCE and after sales COST, we are fortunate to have lots of spares(bluebirds and thomases)..the bird-thomas dealers do treat us right!!!
To bad canada doesn't have the LEMON law, if we did ,,we would not have any IC buses!!!!

I'D WOULD RATHER BE CUMMIN THAN STROKIN ! ! ! !
I.C no future!!

Edited by - wright11 on 04/04/2009 3:27:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  4:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have had many problems with IC. The difference is I have a great dealer. They help me at every turn. I feel bad for them though, I have told them on more than one occation that these things are terrible and I wish we didn't own the two we have. I have backed off lately just because I really like these guys.

The lastest is the hydrolic brake system. It is a joke. I'll make another thread for this one maybe we are doing something wrong. All still under warrenty now. I just hate to think of the $$ that it's going to cost to keep these things on the road after warrenty.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  4:48:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A dealer can make a very large difference on how happy you are with your product. Even with a substandard product, if support is good, sometimes you can still be reasonably satisfied with it. I do alot of business with Lee Smith International as they have an excellent parts department. I've never really had any service done though so I can't vouch for that end of it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000