Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Starting Procedure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dg95677

United States
2 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2008 :  11:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit dg95677's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A non-profit organization I work just replaced our old 1974 Gillig school bus with a 2000 Thomas MVP with a 3126 Cat. This bus came equiped with an intake heater and a high idle feature. What is the proper procedure for starting the engine on a cold morning? Do you have to wait to start the engine until the intake heater light turns off? I have noticed after the bus is started, the intake heater light remains lit for a few minutes while running. Also, how soon after starting is it ok to enable the high idle?

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2008 :  11:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always wait for the light to turn off before starting the engine. It is completely normal for the light to cycle on and off after the engine is running until the computer determines it is no longer needed.

As for fast idle, I would wait about one minute (longer if it's cold outside) before revving up. Just allow that oil to get to where it needs to be.

If you aren't familar with Electronic diesels, you'll want to know that after 5 minutes at idle, with the tranny in Neutral, park brake set and no driver input (accelerator, brake, etc) the engine will rev up to around 1250 RPM's on it's own...don't let that startle you! Again, once the computer determines that it isn't needed anymore, it will stop idling up. If it's fast idling and you are ready to roll, simply push the brake pedal and it will return to normal.

Hope this helps ya!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000