Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 84 International Engine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

f_150ryan

United States
4 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  10:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit f_150ryan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just pick up a 84 International for our youth group. The engine, tranny, & rear end was rebuilt and only has 35k on it. Couple of questions. Where is the govener and how can we take it off (the bus will only run 60mp)? I cant find a spec book or operating manual for it need help. We are taking the kids skiing to NC and I cant find a engine block heater on it. How hard is it to install on, or could I run the bus all night. If so how can I get the idle up to 1000 or 1200.

Thanks
Ryan

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  10:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ryan,

What engine does it have? Gas (red) or diesel (blue), and if it's blue is it long (I-6) or shorter with a large black can on top (V-8) that will tell us alot about what you need to do.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!

Edited by - ModMech on 11/22/2008 10:53:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

f_150ryan

United States
4 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  08:58:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit f_150ryan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a 9.0L Model 165F. I beileve it's a V8 deisel.
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  5:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got a good engine!!!! They are noisey, but durable. Yours is a 165 horsepower model. What rpm are you running at 60 mph? If it's 3,000-3100-this is maximum engine rpm. Most 9 liters were paired with a rear end that allowed them to go about 60 mph in top gear. This gave better acceleration and power on hills. The only way to go faster is to change out the rear end to one with a lower ratio number. You could also buy larger tires, but rear end is prob the best way to go. The engine governor is sealed inside the injection pump cover and tampering with it can cause instant engine failure. If your rpms are not getting up to those limits, then you have a fuel system problem or a speed governor independent of the engine. Let us know what you find.

Jonathan
Go to Top of Page

f_150ryan

United States
4 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  8:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit f_150ryan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Jonathan. Glad to hear that we got a good one. One more q. We are taking the kids Skiing in NC. Temps usually get down to 15 when were there. The bus has no engine block heater. Would it hurt to run the thing all night.( Bringing the idle up to 1k or 1200. Or get a heater. One thing that I don't want is kids stranded at a hotel all day.

Thanks
Ryan

Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  8:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI they bend connecting rods real easy if ethered. we used to have issues with the secondary fuel filters devolping pin holes from all the vibes in the engine also. but they run forever and pull great. have fun with it

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  9:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ether is not good for any engine period! It will work if done very carefully in an emergency, but is not a good solution. Depending on fuel system condition and compression, a 9 liter can start down to 10-20 degrees F. Mine has 110,000 miles on it and I was able to start it on a 15 degree morning, although it didn't like it. 9.0s didn't have glow plugs or intake heaters. The only thing you could do was plug them in. But if the temps drop significantly below freezing, you should be plugging any engine in. Idling a diesel for extended periods is not good for it. You will end up with alot of fuel dilution in the oil as well as the vibrations created under the no load condition are hard on the internal parts.

I would definitely try and find a block heater. It's the best solution for the problem, and it's much easier on the engine when starting. You could also buy one of those magnetic ones that sticks on the oil pan. Then you have warmer oil and coolant (as the heat will slowly soak into the coolant). Just be sure to get a block heater with the short heater element or it won't want to fit. Mine had a Temero (I think) and the replacement International sent me was not the right one and I could not get it to fit correctly.

Ron, the fuel filter problem was solved. Some were actually rupturing and not just leaking. The problem was that on the earlier models they used a copper tube to go from the secondary filter housing to the top of the injection pump. In later years (after 83/84 or so), they used a rubber hose so it would absorb some of the vibration pulses. There was also some kind of update on the leakoff hoses that come off the injectors. I believe they had a tendency to rot/leak/rupture.
Go to Top of Page

Aint Skeered Racing

United States
68 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  5:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aint Skeered Racing's Homepage  Send Aint Skeered Racing an AOL message  Send Aint Skeered Racing a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just bought a 1985 international those guys said that it has a 9.0 in it what size would that be in cubic inches like 6.9 liter is 421ci just curious any info would be appericated thanks

Jimmy Volk #76
Aint Skeered Racing
School bus racing asphalt Figure 8s and oval dirt racing

Owner of 26 racing buses
14 buses destroyed
12 buses running
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  7:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 9.0 is a 551 cubic inch diesel, which was 2nd largest engine to be put in a conventional style bus. The largest (I know of) was the CAT 3208 at 636 cubic inches, and these were rare (in a conventional).
Go to Top of Page

Aint Skeered Racing

United States
68 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  06:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aint Skeered Racing's Homepage  Send Aint Skeered Racing an AOL message  Send Aint Skeered Racing a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info I knew it was a big motor because the exhaust manifold is like maybe less than a inch away from the frame but have a nice day

Jimmy Volk #76
Aint Skeered Racing
School bus racing asphalt Figure 8s and oval dirt racing

Owner of 26 racing buses
14 buses destroyed
12 buses running
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  06:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks for the info I knew it was a big motor because the exhaust manifold is like maybe less than a inch away from the frame but have a nice day

Another clue would've been the wringing in your ears when you shut the engine down after driving.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  1:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another clue would've been the wringing in your ears when you shut the engine down after driving.

LOL! Thats why mine still ring after all these years!

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Edited by - bbird66 on 12/16/2008 1:40:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  7:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that's a major reason for the discontinuation of the engine. Emissions was the main reason, but why spend money to redesign an engine that is a boat anchor for one, and also is so noisey nobody can stand it. BTW, taking off the exhaust manifolds is a real chore for that reason.

Jonathan

Edited by - International-9.0 on 12/16/2008 7:21:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000