Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  9:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
06/13/2008 - Marin Independent-Journal, CA
Rob Rogers

FOR THE PAST 13 YEARS, Beth Rowen's school bus has been a traveling kaleidoscope, its metal walls covered in magnets and stickers and its seat pockets filled with picture books, puppets and dolls.

full story

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  09:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Figures it's First Student that told her to take everything down. If it keeps passing state inspection, why would they think it's illegal?
Go to Top of Page

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  10:04:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She has a lot of stuff (extremely cluttered)at the front of the bus, little things that would be a problem if there was an accident. She has been ok so far and that is great, but stuff happens.
Now putting things at the child's seat for them to do and keep them busy is a great idea. Some of the special needs drivers I know do that, as do I. Some kids as stated in the story need this to keep them calm on the trip.
But really, she has over done it at the front and I can see why it is objected to. I am surprised to hear it was allowed for so long.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  3:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Working Link to story

We had a driver with a 'Mary Poppins' sort of mentality that decorated her bus and had all sorts of decor and items that distracted her students away from misbehavior. Her bus full of special needs children was one of the calmest by a bus driver’s innovation that I've seen over the years. Her style helped to keep kids thinking and doing things she wanted them to be doing. Her biggest critics were not parents and certainly not the kids -- they loved her.

Her troubles all came from fellow bus drivers inventing issues to add to their complaining about her violating safety and such. Took hardly any insight to notice that jealousy was motivating those drivers, not concern for safety. Safest blasted bus in the fleet for children, in my opinion.

The TD at that time rejected the complaints, on occasion a soft-spoken reprimand to those jealous and bickering bus drivers.

A new TD was suckered in to the issue and in turn made that bus driver clean out much of the decor from her bus. Soon after, she quit.

Myself consider the bus driver in this thread's story a strange anomaly that ought to actually be more likened the norm on school buses where the extra care can be accommodated, not an anomaly.

Safety inspectors from the California Highway Patrol accommodated the bus driver in this thread’s story for some THIRTEEN YEARS. They stayed within the regs adequately to allow an innovative human being to shine in this industry.

Would consider that school bus in this thread's story a model for the industry. The jerks that disrupted a good thing ought to be considered among the bureaucratic mindset that stifles innovation and genuine caring for children.

According to the story: Rowen's "magic bus," which travels throughout the county, has won praise from parents and teachers while passing safety inspections for more than a dozen years.

According to the story: "Beth herself is a very colorful personality," said Pierre Brennan, a music therapist and behavioral consultant who works with two of the students on Rowen's bus.

"She's full of creativity, with a lot of positive energy, and that helps in the way she interacts with children and families. For a lot of them the ride to school is an emotional roller coaster. When they see someone who cares as much about them as this woman does, it puts their mind at ease."

From the story, Preschool teacher Haas said he didn't appreciate the effect of Rowen's bus until it spent a week in the shop:

"Beth's bus had broken down, and the child I work with had an extremely difficult time for the entire week," Haas said. "That was when I realized how significant her efforts have been. What she does is helpful - even therapeutic, from my experience."

According to the story, "Some of these students are riding the bus for an hour and a half at a time," Rowen said. "A lot of these kids can't express themselves. They need adults to stick up for them."

I agree.

Would I do all the stuff the bus driver in this thread's story was doing? No. Haven't that level of inclination to go to the extent the story seems to present. I'm satisfied with an ipod clone video player and school bus safety books to help keep the kids doing what I want them doing.

But also would not interfere with those that demonstrate what it means to actually help kids have a safe ride doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Would think the school bus in this thread's story represented how to balance safety issues and also meet kids needs. That's where I believe the inspectors efforts were most apparent and decent toward that bus driver and the children riding her bus.

Can't say the same for a management style that could neither appreciate nor celebrate school bus driver difference and driver innovation in this industry. (jk)

If you want to truly understand something, try to change it. ~ Kurt Lewin, founder of modern social psychology.

Click the link to receive a free customizable brochure (MS Word template) that can be reproduced and given to parents - "The seven highly effective steps to keeping your child safe" - Click Here for Link

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
Post Check, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire, Danger Zones and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Edited by - JK on 06/15/2008 9:05:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

havebuswilldrive

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  4:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, mostly I just look, but this time I have to say something.
First Student is a cookie cutter company. By that I mean everyone has to look the same, act the same, do things the same. There is no room in the company for individuality. Conform or leave. This story does not surprise me at all. Most likely they recently took over Beth Rowen's outfit. For the first while they let it slide, but now she must conform, that is the way of the company.
Go to Top of Page

guzaldo
Advanced Member

421 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  4:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the article quoted state law, I don't like all sorts of crap in the bus either. Perhaps the books for the autistic kid to read while on the ride but having loads of stuff stuck to the interior of the bus is just not necessary. Sorry for the driver but what's sho going to do sue for the right to decorate her bus against state law. Perhaps James has a lawyer in mind.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  4:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Who's to say it's against state law? State inspectors kept passing the bus with all the decorations, it was First Student who decided to make an issue out of it. The company said it was a legal issue, but as an employee of FS I can tell you that they have been known to claim that state law supports a company policy or decision when in fact it doesn't.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  5:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by havebuswilldrive

... For the first while they let it slide, but now she must conform, that is the way of the company.

I can agree with what you are saying in your post, although I am also certain some company enforcer can come up with some regulation, policy, or (notice in the story), some regulation from other, "... states across the country." Regardless, First Student's conduct toward the most helpful on the school buses is not, "the way of the company." It is the way of bureaucrats and educrats in charge of some companies and that also are harming public education and our nation's school bus environments. There remain companies that are on track and doing everything they can to help their employees achieve model innovations for the rest of the industry to learn from. The excuse First presented to the press was a mistake - been better off to keep silent on the issue at this point, in my opinion. The flood of emails to the paper from across the country is apt to bring question toward allowing perceived large indifferent outfits to take over this industry. And again, it comes first that innovative school bus drivers must be attracted to this profession, encouraged to enforce safe, calm environments on their buses, hostile-free workplaces for themselves, then find the balance that helps keep children safe. Our industry seems out-of-balance concerning children’s needs v/s safe passage regulations. Much more interference from the bureaucratic mindset and our humpty-dumpty acting industry is apt to fall off the wall again and again until only the bureaucrat mindset is driving school buses. (jk)

“Happy companies will win. Happy companies will grow and happy companies will innovate. The company of the future is—happy.” ~ Lars Kolind, Chairman of Grundfos

Post Check, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire, Danger Zones and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

Edited by - JK on 06/15/2008 5:28:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

guzaldo
Advanced Member

421 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  03:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"cookie cutter company"

What do you propose, drivers "innovate on their own" perhaps, re-route their routes with out telling anyone, maybe devise a different way of stopping & checking at RR tracks oh yeah the pretrip has to many checks so drivers can just decide no to do some of them.

I don't think so, companies in any industry have the right to require their emloyees to "conform" to rules and regulations. If you don't like it manager, dispatcher, or driver alike you can find another place to "innovate".
Go to Top of Page

mr.dave
Advanced Member

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  05:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guzaldo

Mayby your district does not have special ed transportation. If they did you would realize that it is individualy customized for each rider. Each driver checks to see who is riding, and who is not and runs a route accordingly. According to other treads some are thinking of (and passing laws) changing rail crossing checks, so buses don,t slow traffic.

This thread shows how unions are needed so the driver is not standing alone when given piss-poor orders backed by "But it's the law", or because "WE SEZ SO".

Shiny side up, greasy side down
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  09:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr.dave

... This thread shows how unions are needed so the driver is not standing alone when given piss-poor orders backed by "But it's the law", or because "WE SEZ SO".

Dave, the havebuswilldrive post and your position is clear, easy to interpret correctly and agreeable for any seeking agreement.

Goes without saying and although not the case with a well run facility, what you present in your post certainly applies to some operations, especially those with bullies at the helm. The bully management style can not tolerate the innovative bus driver and also any bus driver that would dare refuse a directive poorly given and sometimes dangerous to follow.

Seems it is not always realized that a substantial number of our nation’s school bus drivers did in fact change the RR crossing procedure long before it was officially changed -- 'Double Check' was such a change.

And with computerized routes as screwed up as they can get, crossing students on four lane roads and other dangerous directions, the bus driver that follows such descriptions are zombies behind the wheel that get along well with some management styles but can get kids killed as well. The irony is that press stories have reported that plenty of drivers do report changes in their route descriptions that were missed, were ignored or were directed to continue following dangerous route descriptions.

Pretrip procedures can be far different from facility to facility and from manager to manager -- each facility including in their pretrip process a variety of innovations suitable to their facility. Some do not want their bus drivers checking under the hood, but assign that to the mechanics. The morning precheck and fueling/fluids may not be done by the bus drivers at some facilities but by other personnel.

I agree with you, mr.dave, that some managers do seem to confuse what the law says with their own personal preferences.

What the dysfunctional manager seems to repeatedly forget is obvious to functional management that recognizes the authority of their school bus drivers to maintain by law and regulation a safe, calm place for children and a hostile free workplaces for themselves. Innovation and interdependence is an important part of that goal. State inspectors obviously supported that bus driver's innovative methods on her school bus.

Although a retaliatory statement, it remains good advice from guzaldo that, "If you don't like it [a] manager, dispatcher, or driver alike you can find another place to "innovate".

Excellent advice to all school bus drivers and often followed by those drivers that find the hostile workplace an intolerable setting, especially when the work we do includes direct involvement with children.

In the event the school bus driver in this thread's story fits the pattern of some of the very best I've had the privilege to work with over the years, it is then a significant possibility that innovative bus drivers may leave First Student. There are employers that eloquently encourage their help toward innovation and caring on a genuine level.

Sad that the bus driver's innovative and energized methods in this thread's story was not held up by the employer as a model for other providers to consider. Regardless, that bus driver's creativity, energy and dedication to children does not go unnoticed by the interested and may eventually lead to better days and occupational position for that bus driver. It would seem even sadder for this industry for that not to eventually happen. (jk)

''If you want to truly understand something, try to change it.'' ~ Kurt Lewin, founder of modern social psychology.

Beth Rowen talks about her bus
Note: Dial-up speeds take longer to download - suggest setting player to 'pause' and do other things until video download completes.) Link

Edited by - JK on 06/16/2008 10:04:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  10:10:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see the harm with her giving the kids some stuff to look at and keep them occupied. Some of her passengers are more likely to stare at stickers on the ceilling and walls versus reading a book. If this keeps the riders calm and happy then whats the harm? First Student seems to be more dictator-like than Laidlaw ever was. As for the toys above the switch panel those can be (and probably are) secured by double-sided tape or dabs of silicone. They aren't going to fall off.

Its not against state law since the inspectors were passing her bus with the stuff intact. Maybe the inspectors just have more common sense compared to the management at FS. I have a feeling these heavy-handed tactics will just lead to more drivers seeking work elsewhere. Not many people have interest in working for a company where employee input is discouraged.

JC
Go to Top of Page

UncleNeal

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  12:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Los Angeles county, this would never fly... the CHP motor carrier inspectors are a bit more strict down here, and they would never allow this much "decoration" inside ANY schoolbus. The CHP needs to be more consistent throughout the state.
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  1:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decorate my bus when I have my own route. I use magnets and glue to secure the items. It keeps *ME* calm and happy!
Go to Top of Page

School Bus M8
Top Member

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  3:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit School Bus M8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guzaldo

"cookie cutter company"

What do you propose, drivers "innovate on their own" perhaps, re-route their routes with out telling anyone, maybe devise a different way of stopping & checking at RR tracks oh yeah the pretrip has to many checks so drivers can just decide no to do some of them.

Now ya talkin guzaldo...where do I sign up!

All kidding aside, I prefer a bus that is not covered in nic nacs. I hate clutter and thats clutter to me. I wonder how fast that bus would go up in flames. Maybe as couple of pictures is okay.
Go to Top of Page

guzaldo
Advanced Member

421 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  04:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SBM8 sure there are a lot of reasons not to clutter up a bus yet make it comfortable for the special passengers. I am glad to see not all the posters used this as another opportunity to bash management, contractors and anything else they don't understand.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  09:10:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
''The CHP needs to be more consistent throughout the state.''

Does consistency mean statewide inspecting more like L.A. county, or more like the state inspectors that worked with Rowen for over a dozen years?

I can realize how difficult it is for some not to go nuts with the regs, imposing harsh white-glove inspection routines upon bus drivers activities. Myself am certainly strict when it comes to certain children's activities on the buses.

I simply think that most kids often need more than marching band bus drivers lacking instruments behind the wheel of the school buses they ride. In at least this case not providing the distractions to ease the boredom involved in a one and one-half hour ride each way is neglectful of what children need, especially when the bus driver has the energy, innovative style, and has worked out the safety issues with state inspectors.

No doubt some here have valid concerns that apparently the bus driver and inspectors worked out and covering a period of over a dozen years. Others may be simply jealous of a school bus driver that achieved an innovative style that helped children have a safer, calmer ride. A few may be afraid that a lacking in innovation from them may be noticed as neglectful to children. I’ll refrain from my other thoughts at this point.

Myself unafraid of the greatness in others that give me ideas to help my kids have a safer, calmer ride to and from school. (Not that I would kaleidoscope my bus interior. I simply haven't near the energy level to do what Rowen did for many years.)

May Beth Rowen be noticed by a management style somewhere that can see her genius and capitalize on that, a style more useful than trying to force every bus driver and child in to the same box to suit their own ends and in place of what children and their bus drivers actually need.

The boxes some seek to put their help in are excellent for puppies and kittens to be given away -- not for human beings that employers want to keep. (jk)

Beth Rowen talks about her bus
Note: Dial-up speeds take longer to download - suggest setting player to 'pause' and do other things until video download completes. Link

Edited by - JK on 06/17/2008 09:41:50 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000